sudden blood pressure spikes

You will gain an understanding of the causes of anxiety and depression as well as some of the background traits, personality traits, and physical symptoms.
JeannieD

Post by JeannieD » Sun Sep 07, 2008 11:15 am

I had the same experience. My bp was high during my last pregnancy and I never had any bp issues prior. It went up to 180/115 and I was induced at 37 weeks. My daughter was only 4 lbs. 15 oz. but was totally healthy. Ever since I started having high bp readings during my pregnancy (over a year ago) I have a fear of getting my bp taken. At the drs. it is usually about 140's/90's, but at home it is 115/72 on average.
But I went to the drs. on Tuesday and asked them not to take my bp when I go there, they agreed. Then after talking with my dr for 45 min. the dr. took my bp herself and it was 120/82. I hope that this is the start of overcoming this fear.
I too worry about the stroke thing...but they tell me that I am young and don't smoke so I have a VERY low chance.

heathuser

Post by heathuser » Tue Sep 30, 2008 11:32 am

Hi all,

First of all I am sort of glad to see that I am not alone. But on the other side it is said that modern medicine fails to find a cure to what seemingly is an obvious health problems.

Here is my story. I am in my low 30s. I don’t smoke, don’t drink alcohol, exercise daily, normal weight, maintain healthy diet. I know that this all may sound disappointing to a doctor since there is no way to jump on most obvious reasons and say: go do more exercise and stop smoking and you will be fine.

My blood pressure is usually slightly elevated. When resting it can be around 130/80 and during normal daily activity it can get elevated to 140/90. Still within reasonable boundaries. At some point in the past I started experiencing blood pressure spikes. I do have some amount of stress in the office but when the spikes happen it can be fairly debilitating. I can experience any of these symptoms: feelings of instability, pounding in the chest, strong pulsations in the head, strange ringing in the right ear and other symptoms. My blood pressure can easily jump to 180/100.

The onsets of these symptoms happen every other month it seems. I can go month – month and a half with no symptoms and then suddenly it starts. I have been in the emergency room twice with symptoms resembling a heart attack. All the tests that I did so far (blood tests, MRI scan, 24h urine) came back negative.

My experience with doctors has been really pathetic until now. They are either pill pushers or anxiety thinkers. I get a sense that they just don’t want to realize the severity of the situation. When I told to my doctor that I nearly fainted and have been in the emergency room I don’t know what she really thought. End of the days they are probably getting payed by visits and not by how much time they spend listening to their patients.

I am in search for a real doctor now if one exists. I got recommended one by one of my friends and I will see how it goes. I will try to find a doctor who can listen and receive what I am saying. Going to the standard pill pushers may just further destabilize the system. If I get to the bottom of what I have I will make a post. Hang on everybody!

Danilo88

Post by Danilo88 » Fri Oct 03, 2008 7:11 pm

Before my panic attacks started happening to me (About 4 months ago) My average blood pressure was about 118/72 and today I went to the doctor for a retinal photo and my blood pressure was 145/75 I think. What makes it worse is that the doctor asks me if I have blood pressure problems with a very concerned voice which worries me even more since I always get that reaction whenever it has been high. I am 20 years old in case anyone wonders. I worry that since my blood pressure is high then I wonder what else could happen. Can I get sick? Have a heart attack early in life? It is the classic "what if" thinking that causes panic, but now I see everyone with even higher numbers than me, I suppose I should not feel as scared. What does everyone think?
-------------------------

May all your dreams come true; may all your troubles fade away...

heathuser

Post by heathuser » Mon Oct 20, 2008 3:26 pm

You may have an element of anxiety. If your BP usually normal and sometimes spikes it may be related to anxiety. The body learns to respond to situations in a certain way and may sometimes interpret things in the way that may seem incorrect.

ddeck

Post by ddeck » Fri Mar 20, 2009 4:20 am

My experience with blood pressure spikes, palpitations, and rapid heart rate began a few weeks ago. Prior to this, my bp was usually 140/80. My spikes were going up to about 188/114. Like many, I passed a stress test -- basically, all tests came back normal. I have been taking Lisinopryl and Metoprolol every day for the symptoms I mentioned earlier. This seems to have helped, except now I am experiencing insomnia. I can be awake 2 or 3 hours during the night. It has affected my ability to be at work at a normal time in the morning. Any advice on this one?

KJ12

Post by KJ12 » Fri Mar 20, 2009 6:45 am

I just had the same issue at the doctor. I always get nervous when I see the doctor so I know that my anxiety is contributing to a higher number.

I am just waiting for my blood levels to come back and that will give me a better idea.

Gman5256

Post by Gman5256 » Sat Mar 21, 2009 10:05 am

Hi KJ12,

I think this is a very common problem, and they have a name for it, it is called lab coat anxiety or something like that. How high is high: 170/100, 180/110 190/120, I have been here, and my pressure regularly is in the 160-170/102-110 range when I am on this forum. I have had b/p readings as high as 217/147, I was not freaked out, but the doctors were. I got home and stuff my mouth full of garlic and cloves and that was about a year ago. I have finally got my pressure under much better control. I take lots of Carlson Norwiegen Pure Liquid Fish Oil with lemon flavor.

i also Take liquid health complete daily multi-vitamin, and liquid health Glucosimine V, policosanol, revesterol, Bayer Cardio Advantage, Niacin 1000 MG per day, plus scripts for Diovan, metropolol, Hydrochrolothiazide, and Amlodepine.

If you are starting to have b/p issues get that fish oil and take 1-2 oz every day and you will see a huge difference. Now I am off the amlodepine and trimming the metropolol and that is why I am currently experiencing unstable b/p reading. Once you are on b/p meds scaling down can be dangerous. It is best not to start them and get on the fish oil right away. It works!
All for His praise, glory and the joy it gives Him.

Hugs, In His Love >:D<

Gman9259
"He who dwells in the secret place of the most
high shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty"

Aliyah

Post by Aliyah » Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:59 am

Originally posted by heathuser:
Hi all,

First of all I am sort of glad to see that I am not alone. But on the other side it is said that modern medicine fails to find a cure to what seemingly is an obvious health problems.

Here is my story. I am in my low 30s. I don’t smoke, don’t drink alcohol, exercise daily, normal weight, maintain healthy diet. I know that this all may sound disappointing to a doctor since there is no way to jump on most obvious reasons and say: go do more exercise and stop smoking and you will be fine.

My blood pressure is usually slightly elevated. When resting it can be around 130/80 and during normal daily activity it can get elevated to 140/90. Still within reasonable boundaries. At some point in the past I started experiencing blood pressure spikes. I do have some amount of stress in the office but when the spikes happen it can be fairly debilitating. I can experience any of these symptoms: feelings of instability, pounding in the chest, strong pulsations in the head, strange ringing in the right ear and other symptoms. My blood pressure can easily jump to 180/100.

The onsets of these symptoms happen every other month it seems. I can go month – month and a half with no symptoms and then suddenly it starts. I have been in the emergency room twice with symptoms resembling a heart attack. All the tests that I did so far (blood tests, MRI scan, 24h urine) came back negative.

My experience with doctors has been really pathetic until now. They are either pill pushers or anxiety thinkers. I get a sense that they just don’t want to realize the severity of the situation. When I told to my doctor that I nearly fainted and have been in the emergency room I don’t know what she really thought. End of the days they are probably getting payed by visits and not by how much time they spend listening to their patients.

I am in search for a real doctor now if one exists. I got recommended one by one of my friends and I will see how it goes. I will try to find a doctor who can listen and receive what I am saying. Going to the standard pill pushers may just further destabilize the system. If I get to the bottom of what I have I will make a post. Hang on everybody!
Heathuser--have you checked out Prinzmetal's (variant) angina as a possible cause?

dew

Post by dew » Mon Jun 15, 2009 9:26 am

My husband has just recently started to experience bp spikes when standing, sometimes just sitting or doing nothing at all. He lays down and that makes it go away but one hour later it returns...it has been as high 177/98.
The doctor gave him some additional bp medication but it hasn't abbated. He is also running tests and doesn't seem all that concerned about it. He is testing him for thyroid problems. I don't think your worrying about it is a help. Hope you relax and go to your phsician.

Scuba Joey

Post by Scuba Joey » Mon Jun 15, 2009 9:55 am

Hello Everyone;
I have been experiencing high blood pressure as well.during my last trip tp the hospital,which was for a panic-anxiety attack my bp was 160/101.The nurse told me that she has seen worse,but that it was high anyway. Considering that I work out and take care of myself it is really a worry.Since then my doctor has me on zoloft,and I have been monitoring my bp with a monitor.I went in to see my cardiologist two weeks ago,and told him that I had been to the ER again and that my primary physican started me on zoloft.He took a EKG, and listened to my heart,and ordered a echo ultra sound.He said that my heart was racing.The test came back normal. He did prescribe me a beta-blocker.I checked with my primary physican too see if he felt that I needed to be on one,and we both came to the conclusion that we will wait a month and see where the bp is at at that point.It is pretty much always high at the office,as high as 150/100.

Return to “Session 1 - Anxiety and Depression: Symptoms, Causes and Common Fears”