UNREAL FEELING

You will gain an understanding of the causes of anxiety and depression as well as some of the background traits, personality traits, and physical symptoms.
HAPPYTOBEME

Post by HAPPYTOBEME » Fri Jan 25, 2008 8:11 am

DOES ANYONE ELSE ON HERE HAVE THE FEELING OF BEING UNREAL. I DONT FEEL LIKE IM IN A DREAM OR ANYTHING. I JUST TEND TO FEEL UNREAL ALOT AND I CONSTANTLY THINK ABOUT HOW I FEEL. ANY ADVISE ON THIS MATTER WOULD BE HELFUL. DOES IT GO AWAY? ALSO HOW DO YOU DEAL WITH IT? IT IS REALLY BAD TODAY!!!!!

Post by Guest » Fri Jan 25, 2008 8:25 am

I have had that feeling for three years. I am now starting to come out of it. It has been on my mind constantly. Try to find something funny to distract you.Feel free to contact me if you need anything. Hang in there you will get better.

BookOfPsalms

Post by BookOfPsalms » Fri Jan 25, 2008 8:31 am

I know EXACTLY how you feel! let me know if u need anything. It is my biggest symptom....Just fight it! Accept it and float w/ it- and constantly distract urself it willl help. -Roc26
+Let The Word Do The Work!+

Mom of 6

Post by Mom of 6 » Fri Jan 25, 2008 8:38 am

HAS IT EVER GOTTEN SO BAD FOR YOU TO THE POINT TO WHERE YOU DID NOT WANT TO GO OUT OR DO ANYTHING? WHEN YOU SAY JUST FLOAT WITH IT. DO YOU MEAN JUST PRETEND LIKE IT NOT THEIR AND GO ON AS NORMAL. IM SO SCARED THAT SOMETHING BAD WILL HAPPEN AND I WILL EMBARRESS MYSELF.
"O God, you are my God. Earnestly I seek you;my soul thirsts for you, my body longs for you, in a dry and weary land where there is no water. I have seen you in the sanctuary and beheld your power and your glory. Because your love is BETTER than life,my lips will glorify you. I will praise you as long as I live, and in your name, I will lift up my hands." Psalms 63

Post by Guest » Fri Jan 25, 2008 8:54 am

This has been one of my major symptoms of anxiety, and the most bothersome. After using this program, and other methods, I am so much better, and I rarely do it anymore. Thank God:)! I am the parent of a child who has severe autism, and it really got bad for me after a lot of trauma associated with that. I actually went through a traumatic experience where I felt like I didn't know who I was, and the truth of the matter was that I didn't. I didn't know who I was now that I was the parent of a child with autism, and I was away from family members who had abused me and couldn't believe what they said about me was true anymore and take care of a child with special needs. I think this symptom is about not having internal resources. With this program and major comforting skills, you will start to learn who you are inside, and that really helps eliminate the symptom. Also, I know this isn't the religious section, but lining yourself up with God is my major advice. I really do feel so much stronger when I believe that it doesn't matter who I am, but who God is and what He can do through me. I always feel internal strength when I know that.
First of all, when you are under stress your body may cope by making you feel unreal or your surroundings unreal-it's called depersonalization and derealization. Your mind and body release a chemical to give yourself a break from stress like you are on drugs:). It's just a reaction to stress, and anyone can have the problem. It will not kill you. When I have done it and start to get bothered by it, I realize that this isn't how people die:). That's not the way they feel, and it's true. It's uncomfortable and there are tons of people who have this symptom. I've been on here before asking for help for it a couple of years ago. Immediately relief for me comes from comforting myself-take a bubble bath, watch a movie,etc., laughter, etc. If you look on the internet under grounding techniques, you will find many techniques to make you feel better. I'm not trying to say this is you and it can happen to others, but a lot of adult survivors of child abuse have this symptom, and those tips will be listed under websites pertaining to that issue. Secondly, MAKING SURE TO GET ENOUGH SLEEP AND EXCERCISE is very important:)! It may not go away immediately after these, but once this becomes more and more a part of your life style, it will subside.
Another major thing for this symptom for me was reading books written by Claire Weeks who really understands this symptom. For years, I have hated it when it is bright and blue outside because I depersonalized so much. I felt the craziest explaining to people that I couldn't go out in the blue. Guess what? Claire Weeks has an example of another person who was like that and there are many others. She gave an explanation, and that just helped me so much to know I was not alone. You are not alone, and that's the beginning of your healing. Your body is just making its own drugs until you learn how to do techniques to handle your stress more effectively:). That's all it is.
I don't know it was like after doing this program and reading these books, and excercising for consistently for a long period, and growing spiritually for me, it was like this shift happened with this counselor where I realized it wasn't outside of me, but inside of me. It wasn't the blue day causing the anxiety, but it was inside of me, and somehow knowing that helped me. I just became more trusting in God, and I learned to trust my inner voice and just found out that it is from inside of me. I hope something on here helps:).
God Bless You, and it does go away, really:)!

Post by Guest » Fri Jan 25, 2008 10:58 am

I hate the unreal feeling. I have had it for 10 years and pray everyday it will go away. Your post helps.

Post by Guest » Fri Jan 25, 2008 11:09 am

Along similar lines, the problem I've had is I have had a hard time recognizing myself in the mirror. Anyone else?

Post by Guest » Fri Jan 25, 2008 11:57 am

I constantly have these unreal feelings too. From the time i wake up to the time i go to bed i feel like i am in lala land. I feel my entire body very numb. I touch my face and it seems like i cant feel myself. It scares me becuase i start thinking that something is wrong with me. But then i stop myself and say your only scaring yourself. It helps out but i dont always stop myself. Any other tips would be appreciated. But dont worry your not the only one.

Post by 3321 » Wed Jan 30, 2008 6:06 am

Irish Lion,
I had the symptom of not recognizing myself in the mirror. Now, there is so much more information about depersonalization, but seven years ago the people I sought help from couldn't help me. Actually, reading Lucinda's book helped me know what the symptom was. There's also a book that's somewhat helpful called "Stranger in the Mirror: Dissociation the Hidden Epidemic" I think that's the title. Have you went through a traumatic experience lately? It's a very common symptom of trauma, or can occur later after a trauma, or a move, or something stressful. I really do feel like it's a miracle this symptom has went away. You really do just learn who you are with this program, etc., and that really helps. You just have to learn that you can function while having the symptom and it really will go away. Do you have this program or are you seeking help in other ways? I know ten years is a long time to struggle with this symptom.
God Bless You

Post by Guest » Wed Feb 06, 2008 2:22 am

LUV PIGGY,

YOUR POST REALLY HELPLED ME ALOT. I DO AGREE THAT DEPERSONLAIZATION HAS A LOT TO DO WITH NOT KNOWING WHO ARE AND NOT BEING TRUE TO YOURSELF. THE STRESS AND ANXIETY COME ALONG WITH THAT AND THINKG THAT HAS A LOT TO DO WITH THIS. YOU POSTL HELPED ME ALOT. I DONT KNOW WHO I REALLY AM I AM STILL TRYING TO FIGURE THAT OUT. WHAT I REALLY WANT OUT OF LIFE, AND WHAT LIFE HAS IN STORE FOR ME. I HAVE ALWAYS HAD LOW SELF ESTEEM AND HAVE PUT OTHER BEFORE MYSELF. I FIND THAT WHEN I AM MORE IN TUNE TO MYSELF AND MY NEEDS. I THINK THIS UNREAL FEELLING IS ALSO YOU MIND JUST FORCING YOU TO RELAX. I DO HAVE FAITH THAT IT WILL GO AWAY AS WELL NOW. IT IS GOOD TO SHARE THIS WITH OTHER PEOPLE WHO HAVE EXPERIENCED THIS.

Return to “Session 1 - Anxiety and Depression: Symptoms, Causes and Common Fears”