How do I learn to deal with realistic fears and not fall apart?

You will gain an understanding of the causes of anxiety and depression as well as some of the background traits, personality traits, and physical symptoms.
BgDave

Post by BgDave » Tue Jan 22, 2008 8:03 pm

I am learning there is a difference between realistic fears caused by real life situations and unrealistic fears we create in our heads. I am trying to learn to deal with realistic fears like not being able to pay for my home and loosing it. Living with fear of being cold and hungry. I have never been a man living with these fears before and it's really petrifying. I had anxiety and depression before all the other financial problems started and now it's really compounded. I am trying my best to not give up and dig down and find this inner strength people speak of, it's the hardest time of my life. I can't lie I feel like a scared little boy lost in the woods and don't know which way to go! I have never been a very spiritual man, but I am finding myself talking and praying to god and the powers of good in the universe to have mercy on me and my family. I think 2008 is going to be a very scary year for us with things the way they are right now. I am doing my best to remain positive and not be a victim, I just am having the hardest time of my 45 years on this earth. I am pushing forward with the program and if I make it through all I am dealing with I can make it through anything I guess.
Big Dave

Post by Guest » Wed Jan 23, 2008 12:36 am

<A HREF="http://www.libralion.com/hay.htm" TARGET=_blank>wisdom</A>
Hi Dave. check out this link. These affirmations may help.
You have a good attitude even though you feel scared. Good things are headed your way!

Post by Guest » Sat Jan 26, 2008 9:06 am

Dave,
I'd been thinking about this question "real vs imagined fears" too. Your post actually helped me to figure it out, I think.
It reminded me of how I felt last spring when I was recovering from a major depressive episode, so everything was hard for me, and I had gotten myself into a real financial pickle. I managed somehow to do what I needed to do, and I was lucky because I was able to refi my condo for 2x what I'd bought it for. But at the time, I could not see, could not get the perspective I needed so that the situation was not completely overwhelming me.
What I am trying to say is that even real fears can become bigger than they really are. I'm not in any way trying to minimize the seriousness of your situation at all. I would be freaking out in your shoes, because I don't have anyone to help keep me from losing everything. But I can see how the 'whatifs' of the worse-case scenerio can be consuming and make it more difficult to find actual working solutions.
I notice you registered here 2 years ago. Are you still using the program?
How can we here support you through this? Do you have support in your life to help you keep realistic perspective on things during this crisis?
Feel free to send me a private message if you would find it helpful to talk.
Patti

Return to “Session 1 - Anxiety and Depression: Symptoms, Causes and Common Fears”