Starting again and getting it right

You will gain an understanding of the causes of anxiety and depression as well as some of the background traits, personality traits, and physical symptoms.
GirlWisdom

Post by GirlWisdom » Tue Sep 11, 2007 1:51 pm

:)Hi Dianne. Nice to see you again online. I didn't see the "Ode to GirlWisdom", but I'd like to. Where abouts is it on here? What thread? Thanks for letting me know. Hope you are all doing well. If not, let's talk! Sherrie, I hope your feeling better too.

Hugs and Peace!!!!!!!
'Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way you cope with it is what makes the difference.'

just my luck

Post by just my luck » Fri Sep 14, 2007 12:41 pm

Hello SOOs Hope everyone is doing good. Glad your back Dianne and I'm feeling better now had a long week and ended up to be a good one just a little stressful. Girl sorry about your computer giving you so much trouble. Hope you have better luck with it for now on. I was feeling overwhelmed at all that i still had to do and my week ahead. I wasn't looking forward to it and all negative was coming in about it. I hate the dentist for one and a new doctor for two and that was just part of my week. I did get through session 4 or will be by the end of this weekend and moving to five. I also had a good friend with some not so good news and it turned out to be good after all. So I hope I learn to take weeks like this last one know what was instore for me, well not all but most and stressed about it. To learn with this program thatI'm alright and nothing did hurt me I didn't die so why stress. I see that after the fact and know once I get through this program I will know it before. I loved you story about your trip Dianne and how you got through it. It gave me courage and Girl for your story it gave me Patience you both are strong for doing and telling about it.For the rest of you Deb hope your stay strong though all your going through. It all will make you strong to get though your freeway driving and not fear it or stress it anymore. Cotton how are you doing are you with us and have you got your program yet. I hope so and your not stressing about it just take your time.I could go on for ther is alot more of you guy's out there I think about. We are all here and together for you let us know how your doing and if we helped you I sure hope so. Thanks for everyone being there for me and Bless all of the SOOs for your strengths and sticking with the program together were going to finish I feel it. Have a Great and Blessed Day! Sherrie ;)

InChaos63

Post by InChaos63 » Wed Sep 19, 2007 6:07 pm

Hello all of you SOO's. Sorry that I haven't written. I do watch the thread to see if anyone is posting and nobody seems to be posting lately. This really is an amazing thread and it holds so much value to me. Starting over, and admitting the need to start over and really make the effort to get it right, no matter what the pace, is priceless. Here's one should've thought that I'm sure so many people have felt on this website that have given up for one reason or another: After spending so much money on this program, I should've taken the time to finish it or should've started back up again because I stopped for a reason. Sometimes the realizations of some of the things that are spoken of on this site really can bring a lot of things to the surface. For me personally, I've learned more about myself this time around then I did before I gave it up the first time. This time I really opened my mind to the fact that I do have some issues of my own that need addressing. Placing the blame on a spouse or a loved one for your anxiety and not looking inside yourself, to me, can be a mistake. Never once did I think that I had anxiety, or even depression issues. Now, in a way, I'm scared but optimistic at the same time. I'm scared because I've learned about the problems that I do have, and I'm identifying more all the time. I'm also optimistic, because no matter how many issues I come up with, there will always be support here on this site, and nobody judges me. We're all accepted equally. That's awesome. So, it is always great to hear from people who are going through similar issues. But, it's also great if someone can read these posts and say to themselves ' hey, I am strong enough to start again and no one will think bad of me for stopping to begin with'. Even if you don't post, but find the inner strength to start back up again on the program, then we've done some good. I'm going to continue to post. I had been telling everyone about my sleep problems and the frustration involved with such horrible sleep. Last night I had a sleep study done to determine if I had sleep apnea. What a strange experience for me. All of those wires attached to me all over the place was quite stress producing in itself. How can you sleep in such a situation anyway? They want you to sleep like you would at home so they can figure out why you're having such difficulty sleeping. I slept like crap and my mind felt like it was racing the whole time. The nurse told me that I had three rem periods and I can't remember falling asleep once. Then, in the morning when I was done, I had to rush home and get the sticky stuff out of my hair that they use to attach the electrodes and try to get to work, which I was an hour late. So, there wasn't much relaxation involved. It'll take two weeks to get the results and let everyone know what they come up with. If it's sleep apnea, then I guess they prescribe you this oxygen machine so you can breathe at night. My sleep has been so bad for so many years, I hope that it's this simple. Maybe someone else has been through a similar experience and might like to share. I could use some input. All right, I've said enough for now. It's bedtime and the anxiety starts to build. I'm so tired and I know that I'll fall right to sleep. I also know that I'll be waking up shortly. And again in a couple more hours. It's quite a vicious circle. But, on a positive note, that sleep study was a step towards the healing process and I will finally find a solution. Positive thoughts. Here's another one, I really consider myself lucky to have found such wonderful, insightful people who want to help on this website. For that, I am truly blessed. Great continued healing to all of us and God bless you all. Matt ;)

Dianne H.G.

Post by Dianne H.G. » Thu Sep 20, 2007 1:20 pm

Howdy to the SOOs - I'm so glad to see everyone is hanging in and hangin on. I have had some slippage lately, I sort of ground to a halt on the diet and exercise session, but I do pretty OK with that I think - try to go walking, take the stairs at work, and no caffeine, but I still like sweets. So that is all around an improvement, and I'll take it!

Hey Matt - thanks for sharing about your sleep study experience. I want to hear about what the results are, maybe I can learn something. I can't sleep unless I am beyond exhausted, or take medication, like Xanax or Nyquil. If I wake up in the middle of the night, may take the medication then and listen to one of the tapes to distract my thoughts. I think if anyone at work knew these things, they would think I'm flawed and - you know, we can't have that going public. No trust of others, that's me.

GirlWisdom: I don't know which thread that was about you and your excellent photos. Does anybody else remember? It was from one of the longtime regulars, I thought it was pretty cool.

Sherrie and all the SOOs - how are you? Even if it's bad, let us know you are still out there and doing your best to get thru your lives, whatever they are.

I will keep checking - I don't want to go on the site while I'm at work b/c I've heard that, "if you don't care what anyone knows about you, go ahead, it will be on your hard drive." Well, as usual, I'm thinking what if someone took a look at my hard drive on my work computer and saw the stresscenter site on there. Then would they use it against me for needing support while I'm at the office. Wouldn't it be great if everyone were on our side like the SOOs? Oh well, so glad I have you to share with and to hear how you are coping. Your fellow SOO, Dianne

just my luck

Post by just my luck » Wed Sep 26, 2007 4:19 am

Hi all SOOs and how is everybody doing? I know I haven't been online for a while and been really busy. Then there is that thing of not feeling real good and don't want to do anything. I went through five pretty easy. I say it will all come together when I get my head together. I eat right now and am starting back up on taking vitamins and I walk that is enough for me now and I ain't going to dwell on it too much either. Now I'm on 6 and finding I have alot of anger inside me still. I thought I got rid of most of it and did from my childhood. Now it's life itself that is making me mad. I didn't realize it until I took the workbook test. I did bad seventy something :p wow. I know it's hard to write when you're going through so much. We all have got ourselves in a slump and need to pick up ourselves and move on. You stopped writing here I hope not the program we are here to finish it and we will as long as we stick together. My stupid doctor which she is new to me and doesn't know me wants to put me on antidepressants and I will not. I went through that gambit before and it was a mess and not again. I told her about this program. Talk about a blank face, I would call it stone face. Doctor's these day's don't care and push med's on you to help them get money or prizes for the people that make them. I get mad see there I go with mad and hurt myself as I noticed, so I'm going to see the quack, ok doctor friday and I will not get mad and will get what I want and keep my cool the lazy twit ok enough with her. I just am not happy these day's and I think it's because of hormones I had to get back on sorry guy's a girl thing. But I know the program is helping I think back on what I learned and it's like ok I can do this they can't hurt me. Like 6 is telling me you get mad what does your body do it hurts my tummy and head and my heart pumpping right out of my chest. I think about it and calm down don't think so much do like get info and questions ready for the doctor and don't get upset about it. Tell you one thing makes me feel better today I turned it around and it's thanks to all of you and the program. Six is helping too I know when you get mad people won't listen to you or respect you and I know some come sfrom my fear. I let go of some childhood anger I had and forgot I guess how to do it now. Six has brought me back and I'm going to fight the anger with info for my doc's appointment and let it go after it's over. I don't want to bring the doctor home with me anymore. I think I might of went through five a little fast, but the nice thing is you can alway's go back. I'm wishing you all the very best I see Matt and Dianne are posting and good for you for the rest of you I hope atleast your writing it down to get it out. It's nice to come here and post knowing there are people here that care. I'm proud to be a soos-er for atleast we started again were all better for it. Hard times good times doesn't matter here and that is a nice thing. I miss some of you and your stories and you one's that joined but just couldn't post I say as long as this is helping and your doing the program the best of luck to you and all. I wrote this without reading Matt's and Dianne's post so I'm going to read back on this thread and reflect on all of you. It's nice the thread is here to do that we all have come a long way's and still have a way's to go so hang in there when we finish we will be better. If not you know I will go through it again and not feel one bit bad about it either. If you think you have been bad or feel bad your forgiving there is no wrong way to do this program no smart way no dumb way just your way that helps you learn to better youself for a happier you.
Have a Great and Blessed Life Sherrie :)

GirlWisdom

Post by GirlWisdom » Thu Sep 27, 2007 12:33 am

:)Hi all. Just letting you all know, I'm still hanging in there, but lately my motivation has been giving me a hard time. I also don't feel too well, but I have a doc appointment on Monday to hopefully clear that issue up. However, I'm still plugging along. I'm glad you guys are doing good with yourselves too. Keep it up! Hang in there. Talk with you soon.

Hugs and Peace
'Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way you cope with it is what makes the difference.'

Dianne H.G.

Post by Dianne H.G. » Thu Sep 27, 2007 2:00 am

Hey you all - I'm still here too; not checking the website very much b/c I don't log on at night very much, and at work, I don't trust that someone might check my hard drive and see that I am getting support for stress! Isn't that just wrong?! It should be viewed as a good thing.

Anyways - Sherrie, I can relate to what you said. I am doing OK with 5, it really helps and I do fine with diet and exercise, except I've really been abusive with chocolate intake. But I went to session 6, and I knew it would really apply to me. I've made gains in how I deal with anger, but it is something I too have carried over from childhood, and it is so destructive, I tend to both internalize and sometimes externalize. Lucinda says it's another way to communicate, but the HOW we communicate it is what I need to improve.

I know what you and GirlWisdom mean about not feeling good. I refused to use meds until the hormones just seemed to be in control, and so I decided to try the Paxil (I take only half the dose), and keep the Xanax on hand if I am ramping up the anxiety. It's really been what is getting me thru. I view it as temporary until I can get my coping skills up to 100%, then my plan is to step down off the meds. Great to see you are still checking in. I will too. Everybody stay strong! Dianne

InChaos63

Post by InChaos63 » Mon Oct 08, 2007 6:06 pm

Hello to all you SOO's. Matt here. Sorry that I haven't written for a couple of weeks. I did my sleep study and I still haven't gotten my results. :mad: Sometimes it's so frustrating putting your faith in doctors, hoping that they have your best interest at heart. The waiting itself is quite anxiety producing in itself. In the meantime, my sleep is horrible. Hopefully I'll get some results in the next day or two and I'll let everyone know my next step. I've begun session six about anger. I know that I have a temper but I never considered myself an angry man. It seems as though I can go back many years in my life and recall so many ocassions where I should have really lost my cool and I just held it in. Maybe I felt as though it was smarter to use my brain than my temper to get me through a situation. In the position that I'm in at work, I believe that if you let a situation get the best of you and you lose your temper, then all of your employees see that you can't keep your cool and you've shown a weak spot that can be exploited and used against you. But, on the other hand, perhaps if I'd actually stood up and really rattled some cages, then maybe they wouldn't think that I'm a marshmallow man. A different weak spot, so to speak. Life outside of work isn't really that much different. In certain life situations, I realize that perhaps I should have acted with much more anger than I did. And, it has cost me. It's cost me financially, it's cost me some trust from my wife, who isn't sure if I'm going to stand up for us when we're getting screwed, and it's cost me personally with self esteem issues. I even wonder myself if I'll be able to stand up the next time. I hate to consider myself as passive. My customers think I'm very strong and I'm very well respected by them. I'm trying very hard to recognize when I'm getting screwed over and speak up. Maybe I just want to keep the peace and work things out without anyone getting hurt. I do find that I've done that in my marriage for many years. So many times I'll just clam up rather than really saying what I feel. Hurting her is something I honestly try not to do. She may not agree with that, because I do have a sharp tongue, and although I'm not screaming angry, my words are very precise and I know how to strike a chord. Lucinda is very right though, when she says that anger is (here we go again) another addictive behavior. I am addicted to reacting in the way that I've always acted when I'm angry. I feel the frustration and know that I need to act on it. My dad is easy going like that, but my mom is just the opposite. Funny, my dad usually wins, I think, but my parents have been screwed over many times when my dad should have stood up. I wonder if my mom wonders that same way that my wife does about whether or not he's going to stand up the next time they're getting screwed over. That feeling that your spouse may not have faith in your actions makes you question your own values and question your own judgment every time. All right, enough about anger for now. I'm quite sure that I'll have more oppurtunities to express myself in that manner in the future. Just in a intelligent manner, not explosive. I have to try really hard to find a happy medium between the two. I'm really glad to write again tonight. I need to write more often. This life 's journey through the stress center has been quite revealing of myself, hopefully for the best. Sometimes you have to make a mess to clean up a mess. Good luck to all of you out there and good continued healing. Matt :p

Dianne H.G.

Post by Dianne H.G. » Mon Oct 15, 2007 2:13 pm

Hello to all my SOO friends - so good to see we are still hanging on, or at least speaking for myself - I'm stuck on session 6, I went out of town and need to get back into the groove with this because it really helps.

So Matt, did you get your results yet from your sleep study? Are you getting a little sleep? it must be really frustrating. I have decided maybe I only need 5-6 hours, I don't really feel over tired the next day, but if I had an opportunity to nap, no problem! If I wake up in the middle of the night, I can't get back to sleep without taking something to help, like part of a Xanax or partial dose of Nyquil. Also not good.

Anger is a problem with a lot of us here; I think I've had every possibility - I've raged, I've stuffed it and allowed myself to feel powerless, I've tried confrontation, problem-resolution, and now I'm getting good at just letting it go. Where I would let people upset me before, I have decided these people just aren't worth my health and well-being. They just aren't that important, I have nothing to prove to them. But I think we do have a right to express ourselves and not take the B.S. So I'm learning how to do it appropriately. If I wait a while, like Lucinda advises, it often dissipates. I'm the one who keeps it alive, and I need to quit sliding into that pattern of rehearsing the offense that sets off the anger...Any way, this is a major one, so I'm glad you are on your way to Session 6. Let us know if it's helping!

Everybody be good to yourselves. Dianne

just my luck

Post by just my luck » Tue Oct 16, 2007 6:21 am

Hi SOO's and all the rest of our readers. Hey Dianne great for you I read one post of your's and you were worried about co workers finding out about the stress center. I'm glad you not anymore it's not what they think, but what you do about yourself.I'm stuck on 6, but am moving on to 7 here in the next day or so. I think I have been in a slump and working my way out is hard. I'm not giving up though and glad to hear your not either. I've been dealing with my anger pretty well and my fears too. facing rejection has been the hardest and when it happens to pick myself back up and go for it again with a better prospetive is working out for me. I take rejection and it makes me stronger and I don't fear it anymore. So I think I can move on to 7 with know I'm doing good with my anger and fear.
There is only a few of us posting and not that it matters just wanting everyone to know anytime you want to get it out if not posting it here private message any of us or email any of us we will be so happy to help if we can support we know we can. Girl I miss your pic's and your upbeat post's too. I know you must be having some hard times we all do I just want to let you and all the rest of you know your thought about wit great care. Matt if you could let us know how your sleep study went that would be so great. Sleep is the one thing I think we all have some trouble in if doing it too much or not enough. It's great of you to care about us Dianne you a good person thank you for being here for us. Ok we keep going and we will make it through it. Be happy and keep up the good work it's for a better you.
Have a Blessed and Great Day Sherrie

Return to “Session 1 - Anxiety and Depression: Symptoms, Causes and Common Fears”