Anyone have fears of doctors? Need advice bad

You will gain an understanding of the causes of anxiety and depression as well as some of the background traits, personality traits, and physical symptoms.
Jenbepositive

Post by Jenbepositive » Fri Dec 28, 2007 1:18 am

For some reason I freak out really bad when I have to go to the doctors office. I have an appointment today just for my meds, nothing serious but I am so nervous I just want to cancel again for the hundredeth time now. I dont understand why I get so upset about going. My doctor is great and seems to really be concerned with me. I love the nurse too, she is great. It is a small doctors office and everyone there is so great. Last week I took my grandma there and we were there for 2 hours and I stayed with her the hole time and did really good. That made me think I will be fine when I go for myself but now I am not so sure. The last time I went to the doctor I panicked really bad. I know I need to do this to get over this fear. I was just wondering if anyone else has the same fear and if so what do you do that helps. We cant live without doctors so I really need to get over this.
Live, Laugh, and Love often

Crave

Post by Crave » Fri Dec 28, 2007 8:31 am

I would always get so nervous when I had to go to the doctor. Not because of something wrong with me, but usually it was the doctor that made me nervous. I went through so many doctors and felt that nobody really cared about me. They still don't. I realized that they are getting paid for a job and it is up to us to be our own advocate, but it makes you really nervous because doctors act like they are God.
Also whenever I would go to therapy, I would have to sit in this huge waiting room, because it is a community clinic type of place and people were there for groups because of addiction. I would sit in my chair in the waiting room and literally cringe because I thought everybody was staring and laughing at me. I could not stand to walk by anyone and the constant noise of their chatter was making me insane. The therapist said it was me. My way of thinking. I like going to her, but we just talked about general things in my life, not actually how to fix anything. I always feel weird in a doctor's office and I can't put my finger on why. I could use some suggestions myself.

luvpiggy

Post by luvpiggy » Fri Dec 28, 2007 9:38 am

Jens,
Its called anticapatory anxiety! you anticipate way before you have to do something you fear. I dont think its the doctor or the nurse or the office, its just your fear of stepping out of your comfort zone.
You went last week, had your grandmother with you, you SAT 2hrs and did fine!
You can do this by yourself! First, think about this, your going to see your doctor, im sure he is aware you have anxiety. If you have panic attack, your in a great place to get help!!
But, i dont think that will happen! Its just getting there, once your there, you will be great!! Use your self talk and your breathing exercises, take your blue cards with you incase you forget! I wish you luck,, and DONT CANCEL!!! Love ya Nelly:)

Return to “Session 1 - Anxiety and Depression: Symptoms, Causes and Common Fears”