I can't stand it!!

You will gain an understanding of the causes of anxiety and depression as well as some of the background traits, personality traits, and physical symptoms.
Donna marie

Post by Donna marie » Tue Dec 14, 2004 12:47 pm

I am 32 years old and have suffered with anxiety for years. I was on Paxil for the past four years but am now off. (I weaned slowly). I am constantly obsessed with my health and all the feelings I feel. I have every symptom you can imagine from muscle twitches, to racing heartrate to pins and needles in my hands to headaches and stabbing pains in the back of my head, you name it, I got it. My friend's 8 year old son was just diagnosed with a malignant brain tumor and I feel so depressed. I can't believe these things happen. I also have a four year old son. I don't think I could ever handle what's happening to my girlfriend. I'm constantly anxious and thinking about cancer and anuerysms and tumors non-stop. Someone out there help me! I need to quit worrying and enjoy life. I do have Lucinda's program but it's been so hard to apply the skills she's teaching. How do you just STOP worrying? I know it's probably all a control issue because it really pisses me off that life can be unfair and that things can happen that are horrible! Does anyone know the secret to accepting the things that happen in life? Thanks for listening!!!

Post by Guest » Wed Dec 15, 2004 6:10 am

First Donna, know that you are not alone....we all go through the same exact feelings and emotions that you are experiencing now. I am also 32 years old and have suffered with anxiety issues for years. I have all the symptoms you described and more- This time of the year is the hardest for me though. Recently a friend of the family experienced a stroke to the back of his head and wouldn't you know it, within a few days I had myself thinking the same thing was happening to me. Bad things happen all the time-we cannot change that. We have to step back take a few deep breaths and pray that if anything like that would happen to us, we would have the courage to accept those things. Worrying about our health and problems won't change our circumstances-although sometime I think it does! lol. I hope this has been a little helpful for you- please keep in touch- let me know how you are doing today...
Julie

Post by Guest » Wed Dec 15, 2004 10:47 am

I am 36 and have had these weird muscle twitches in places I forgot I even had muscles. Also have had the fluttering sensation in the chest that sometimes takes my breath. Cant tell if it is heart skipping beats or just another muscle twitching. I have been to many Docs over the years including a neurologist since they needed to rule out tumors and MS. Of course none of them can explain why I have them so while studying to be a naturopath I learned that it can be caused by a calcium and magnesium deficiency. Since taking these 2 everday, most of the twitches are gone and I feel better. Still have the flutters sometime and they scare the heck out of me. I spend alot of time just wishing I was in a position where I had someone to hold me and tell me everything is going to be OK. My husband has brain damage from a bull riding accident and is not capable of understanding the nurturing I miss and need. He is much like a young adolescent now on his level of maturity and understanding. SO not having someone to talk in depth to leaves me to deal with alot of stress on my own. Especially on days when he has seizures and dont even know where he is. I miss having adult converstation. I am thankful that he still functions normally otherwise and continues to be a wonderful dancer and musician. Most people cant even tell there is anything wrong until they have been around him for awhile. I dont know how I got off on this or how it pertains to the subject matter except for if there is anyone out there that is caring for a sick family member I can sypathize with the isolation and having sickess in front of you so often.

Post by Guest » Mon Jan 03, 2005 12:51 pm

Hi Dr. Lori,

I appreciate your input. I've been having twitches lately that drive me nuts. I just read about the calcium/magnesium thing today on a different site and was thinking that would be a good thing to try. So thank you for your encouraging words. I'll try it.

I know it's hard to not have anyone to talk to about this weird anxiety stuff. I'm single. I have sympathetic friends, but without experiencing it, they really just don't "get it." It's nice that we all have each other. Not feeling alone is one of the most helpful things, in my opinion. So, thank you!

Karri

Post by Guest » Sun Jan 09, 2005 4:27 pm

wierd muscle twitches and fluttering in the chest are well known side effects of ssri medication- are you taking these meds? if so, your symptoms are likely a result of the side-effects- if you are taling theses meds you need to buy the book prozac backlash written by harvard psychiatrist joseph glenmullen he is an expert on the side effects and withdrawl of these meds

Post by Guest » Tue Jan 11, 2005 9:56 am

HI: Donna I'm also suffering for over stressing. I don't know how to stop it either. The worst it gets the harder it is to apply the techniques Ive learned, because when you so anxious you forget the techniques. Like you I've been suffering for years and I am still trying to cure myself of this. But there is hope no matter how bad it gets just quote to yourself " God gives me peace"
and go out and pick up this book. The Anxiety Cure
by Dr. Archibald D. Hart

God bless you...

Post by Guest » Tue Jan 11, 2005 4:28 pm

DonnaMarie,

Read Dr. Claire Weekes books "peace from nervous suffering" and "hope and help for your nerves". Anything by Claire Weekes will help you with your fear of body symptoms related to anxiety and panic. Her books are by far the best!! Check them out at your local library. You won't be sorry !

Also....It's a habit of the mind to worry. It's a VERY BAD ONE !! It's not easy to break the worry cycle but you can do it with hard work.
If you feel you need extra help then perhaps a group meeting would suit you? There is a free congitive-behavioral program called "Recovery Inc." and they have been around a very, very long time. It's non-profit and they may even have a meeting near you as they are throughout the U.S., Canada and other countries as well.
You can check them out <A HREF="http://www.recovery-inc.org" TARGET=_blank>http://www.recovery-inc.org</A>

Wishing you the best !

Post by Guest » Mon Jan 21, 2008 9:06 am

Hi Donna, I have been fighting depression and anxiety for over 10 years. Most of those years seem like they didn't exist b/c of the turmoil. I totally understand your worry and fear. I have broken down so many times because of fear of dying from going crazy or some other neurological disease or from anything else. I am by no means worry free but what has helped me is my relationship with Jesus. I never applied the verse in the Bible that says "The word of God is sharper than a two edge sword". I and trying to find as many verses on anxiety, depression, healing and most of all Faith as prayer only works when you actually beleive that Jesus will give you strenght to get through this. I will say, I KNOW He is with me and that is my comfort.

Post by Guest » Tue Jan 22, 2008 6:33 am

Hi Donna,
I am 33, and have had anxiety for years which has just recently gotten better thanks to many different factors which included this program. In addition, I am the parent of a ten year old son who has severe autism. He went through a regressive period when he was between two and three and actually lost the little speech he had. He is not potty trained at the age of 10, and he has some seriously dangerous behaviors, and has had a severe seizure. I have a few things to say to you, and I hope they will help:). First of all, I am not cured of anxiety, but better, and one thing that I would change if I could go back in my recovery is just letting myself realize that IT TAKES TIME and THAT TIME IS NEVER WASTED. Of course, we all want out as soon as possible, and we've all had plenty of anxiety to last a life-time, but changing our thinking, our physical and emotional habits, and even our spiritual beliefs takes time. Also, the time is never wasted aspect helps me because we, with anxiety and as Americans:), tend to believe that because we have to wait for things that somehow that time is a waste. That is so false. It takes an oak tree time to grow into the majestic tree that it becomes, but when it is smaller, it probably still provided some shade to a tiny bird:) or a child could actually reach its limbs to climb on and have fun:). We are really never finished until the very end of our lives, and so it may help to know that you are always going to be growing and waiting for something in your life. Sometimes, just the anticipation of things to come is a blessing. There are studies which show that we as human beings actually enjoy anticipation. If we plan to watch a funny movie at the end of the day, we actually will enjoy it more after we have anticipated it. Maybe get out a piece of paper and write down all that would be different in your life if you didn't have anxiety. Where do you want to go that you aren't right now? What job do you want?, etc. Also, I don't know what your spiritual beliefs are, but one of the greatest things for me in my relationship with God is to realize that God works through us no matter what and no matter where we are if we let Him. You are not cured right now, but you have purpose as a mother no matter what. Time is never wasted.
Finally, concerning your fear about your child. I completely understand why you would be afraid for your child. It does seem so unfair that bad things can happen, especially to our children, and there is no doubt that as mothers we would gladly let our selves take on suffering that was meant for our children. I am not going to lie to you and say I am happy that my son can not talk or that he has been in life threatening situations. There's a lot of bad things that can happen in this life. But my plea to you and other mothers who have healthy children on here is for you please to enjoy your time with your healthy child. After my son was born, I was a first time mother with anxiety, and I just worried about everything. If I had a magic wand, I wish I could go back and just enjoy him being able to talk, etc. without worrying about all of the bad things that could happen to him. Guess what? My worrying didn't change anything. My son has autism, and I don't know why, and my worrying did nothing to keep that from happening. That's a big revelation that I and many of us don't want to hear. We worry in the hopes that it will prevent bad things, and it just doesn't work. We end up with panic attacks, nervous twitches, etc., and worry doesn't change the outcome. I really am not saying all of this to condemn you or any other parent who is afraid for their child. I really do understand it, and I don't condemn myself for being a first time mother and not knowing any better, but if someone would have been able to give me certain advice, maybe, I would have heeded it and been happier being a mother:)at that time. Also, and not to scare you, I did loose it. Mothers who have sick children can loose it. I couldn't handle his autism, and I went through a very bad period, but me knowing that I couldn't handle it didn't stop it from happening. However, by God's grace, my second to worst nightmare came true, and I am still here learning how to cope and trying to encourage you:). You would deal with it if it happened the best that you could. Yes, bad things happen, but a change of focus which will eventually come with this program will help you focus on the positive. There are miracles. Your friend's son can be cured of the tumor. All is not lost. Yes, bad things happen, but just imagine if your focus was on the good things. There are good things. Of course, you wouldn't want anything bad to happen. No mother does. I do also feel that God caught me when I fell. I don't know how much you feel about me giving you spiritual advice, but one thing that God has taught me is that we are all really God's to begin with. One of the best things that we can do as parents is realize that our children belong to God, and we are only God's instruments in helping to accomplish God's will in their lives. We, as mothers, can only do the best we can, and that is all we can do, and we just have to give our children to God, and let Him take over at certain points. That's very difficult to put into action, but it is true. That is a revelation that has taken me time to accept, and I will continue to struggle with that. However, the more I view God as a loving God, the more I am able to accept it. We are not perfect. We don't understand everything, and all we can do is the best we can as humans. My son has autism, and there are many other things I can worry about regarding him. He could get cancer, but instead of worrying about that, I just thank God he doesn't have it because I have no idea what all God has spared him from. He could die and almost has, etc., but through it all this is what I have learned. We just don't know. I think that is scarier then knowing for many of us with anxiety. We don't like to hear that we don't know. We want to see the script of our lives all written out before us. However, one blessing to not knowing is that we can say, "I don't know so why take on something that I don't have to?" Taking on the thoughts that my child could die or have cancer would only make me take on grief that isn't mine to deal with right now. I have felt true grief over my son's autism, and it's not fun, so why take on more that's not real and that I don't have to? For me personally, I don't, and I really can't. Do I worry about my son? Yes, but I try to limit it to things that are real, and put some type of action in alignment with that worry. It's more of a concern about caring for him, and then I do what I need to do to take care of him like getting him a global positioning bracelet through a program that monitors him and could find him if he ran away(many children with autism are escape artists and this is very dangerous). Two of my son's classmates have died this year from incidents regarding their autism, but me worrying about that will not help me or him. I feel for those parents and pray for them frequently, but me dwelling on it as if it is happening to me when my son is still alive doesn't help me, doesn't help my son, and it certainly doesn't help those parents. Your friend's son getting a brain tumor is a very big deal. She needs support and prayers right now. It won't help her for you to imagine it happening to your child because if you are so worried about that, you may not be able to help her, and may even avoid her because of your fear. It's happening to HER child right now, and that is what's real. Right now, your child is healthy, and for all you know, your child could remain healthy and live a wonderfully long life. If God forbid, the unthinkable happens, you really don't know exactly what you would do or how you would handle it. You would have to cross that bridge when you came to it, and the truth is that you may not ever have to cross the bridge so why try to figure it out now and waste the time you have with your beautiful healthy child. I think my husband would agree with me on that. We both are often the only ones who understand how each other feels in regards to our son. It is very hard for us to watch parents expect perfection from their children and in situations like when the parents are upset that their "normal" children made a "B" instead of an "A". To us, "normal" would be a miracle. Normal really is a miracle. It is also just very hard to watch someone with a healthy child worry about the child being unhealthy when they are not. It's not anger(well for the perfection part:), it's just sadness. It wouldn't help us for someone to come up to us and cry over our "misfortune" when they are really crying over the possibility that it could be them or could have been them in the situation. The grief wouldn't be for us, but for themselves, and that just doesn't help us. What's intended to be compassion comes across as a selfish act. I'm trying to watch this with myself too when people are going through things that I am not. Am I really being supportive of them, or am I making it about me and my pain? Life is so much more enjoyable when we figure this stuff out. We take what's really ours to deal with, and we give others true empathetic support for what they are going through without making it about us. It's just so much better that way. Right now, you are not alone. Others on here understand what you are going through and have been where you are. You are trying to do the program, and you are just getting started. Your friend is suffering, and if there is anyway to help her and keep the focus on her without making it about you, then that would help her the best. Right now, you are blessed with a healthy child and you have no reason to feel guilty for that. I am not upset that other people have healthy children, it's just hard when they are unable to understand that blessing. Keep working on this program because it will help you to enjoy yourself and your child. One day, you will feel better.
Take Care

Return to “Session 1 - Anxiety and Depression: Symptoms, Causes and Common Fears”