Fear of Bridges

You will gain an understanding of the causes of anxiety and depression as well as some of the background traits, personality traits, and physical symptoms.
Liz*

Post by Liz* » Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:33 pm

People have often laughed when I panic driving over bridges. I thought I was the only one, but there it is on the anxiety evaluation list in the workbook (session one). It was my only 4 for level of anxiety.

It's not the bridges five feet above the water like you find in Florida over marshland. But give it a rise of 30 feet and I'm holding my breath. Is it the fear of going over into the water that panics me? I have no fear of the water, I swim every time I workout and have strayed far off the beaches of Florida. In college I was driving over the Newport RI bridge and that must go up 100 feet or more -- seemed like a 1000 to me. You wouldn't believe the relief I had when we got to the other side. Fortunately, heading home we went thru Western Mass and upstate NY.

When I was in San Fran, I didn't go over to Sausalita because that would have meant a trip across the Golden Gate bridge - a suspension bridge, what's up with that?

I think it has something to do with my lack of knowlegdge how bridges are constructed. Wonder how I ever made it across the Mississippi.

j33825

Post by j33825 » Sat Oct 23, 2010 8:39 am

hey lisafoxx

im the same way i cannot drive over a bridge. the last one i went over that i drove over now mind you i had been over this bridge alot into saintpete to get simi tags but the last thime i drove my husband was with me he was nagging i was on the 275 interstate traffic everywhere i started to cross hit a bump on the bridge and it was like a wave came over me ears ringing hand wet tunnel vision so tense my body hurt couldent breath, my husband asked if i was ok i couldent look at him i said i got to get off this bridge now but i had no where to go but across it. i made it across wouldent talk much got the tags and had to head back. my husband had to drive and in order to get back over the bridge again i had to lay down in the seat and not look out. now thats the ony way i can get across a bridge write now and this sucks cause i was doing good going across by myself before. i think a big park if the whole thing is the fact that once your one the bridge you have no where to get off if you want to,like lucinda says you have to be in control about things and now im not so back to the drawing board. keep your chin up.

Liz*

Post by Liz* » Sat Oct 23, 2010 9:59 am

I know that bridge. Sunshine Parkway or something like that. It's quite a challenge. Family vacationed at St Pete or Siesta Key for many years.

Paridygmn

Post by Paridygmn » Wed Dec 01, 2010 7:29 am

I can really relate to this topic. I always had a fear of heights, but the first time I had fear going over a bridge was in upstate NY (syracuse area)I was with my Mom and her friend going to college and I freaked out! I could only drive 50 mph. The whole time I would think someone would grab the wheel and we would go off the side, or I would drive off the side myself, or this would be that moment when the bridge would break apart and we would all fall to our deaths. All of the winding hills and narrow cliffs did not help either. Then there was driving in New Orleans, the bridges there are high and crazy. One night I went across this long bridge over the water, it was foggy and a really long bridge, all I could think was falling in and being eaten by alligators. Of course since I went the wrong way I had to go back across it. lol

Paisleegreen

Post by Paisleegreen » Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:23 am

Paridygmn--That is funny, even though it wasn't for you. I mean the part of having to go back across it. I usually just get the scary feeling of being on a bridge such as the Golden Gate or Rainbow overlooking the Niagara Falls. The feeling is more about jumping off of it that scares me.

I think about what it would be like to jump off of it. I don't even know if it is a thought...hmm...then again maybe it is. I think maybe the brain is trying to figure out what am I looking at? Trying to register that I'm looking at a far distance and if I were to fall, it wouldn't be a pretty picture. :D :p

Paridygmn

Post by Paridygmn » Wed Dec 01, 2010 2:42 pm

Paisleegreen,
It was comical to say the least. I must have looked and acted like a little (explitive)! lol I am a little braver these days. I think we all worry about the falling part and ironically are a little suicidal, but probably would not carry it out by jumping cause then we would wake up! lol

BetterDaysAhead

Post by BetterDaysAhead » Tue Dec 14, 2010 3:19 am

Only in my dreams. When things in life appear difficult and I have a major hurdle that must be overcome here comes that bridge dream again.

The bridge onramp usually comes up quicker than expected and therefore I have no opportunity to turn around or avoid it. There I am midway across and unable to do anything but lay flat and not move due to being paralyzed with fear. My thoughts are of the danger that lies, not on the other side, but over the edge of the bridge.

On the other hand, when I have accomplished what I know to be a major emotional, psychological or social feat, I have that same bridge dream, but man I'm hanging over the sides of that bridge and jumping from one part of it to the other without that fear of falling over the side.

These dreams recur like clockwork given my life's state, but what's weird is I can drive over a bridge and not even think about the fact that I'm on it.
I feel more like I do now than I did before. (???)

Paisleegreen

Post by Paisleegreen » Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:46 am

I guess I have dreams similar to that, but it involves finding myself still in high school and arriving at a class where I'm taking a final exam.

I'm thinking to myself, Hey, I already graduated...I've already taken this class and I'm not ready. They finally went away when I figured out what am I avoiding or not finishing.

When I went back to college, and got my degree, I don't think I've had another dream like that since, that I can remember. Now my dreams are a bit scary when I was still experiencing "panicky feelings" that caused my gut region to feel jittery or trembling.

Those have been going away since I've been on this website and been meeting with a new Therapist.

Return to “Session 1 - Anxiety and Depression: Symptoms, Causes and Common Fears”