Is medication-free really possible?

Questions and experiences with prescription medications
Linda McKinney

Post by Linda McKinney » Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:31 am

Originally posted by maryk0505:
I was diagnosed with panic disorder in 1986 and have been taking Nortriptyline since that time and Prozac was added in 1994. With a lot of determination I have had a marked improvement in that now I a I just want to talk about being on medications. I'm on pain medications at this time, and I have been for about 10 years or more. I must be on them due to the fact that I have osteoarthritis, and fibromalygia,and there is nothing else for me to do, there is no surgery that can be performed on me, so I will have to be on pain medication for the rest of my life. But the hard part is doing without them. I'm on (2) two different pain medications, and xanax for my nerves, they are really bad most all the time. I wake up and I'm shaking just as though I were outside in the cold weather. But I'm also on an antidepressant, Cymbalta, which is supposed to help with the symptoms of fibromyalgia, but I just found that out recently,I'm on them for depression, and I still at times feel depressed, and I believe it has alot to do with my lifestyle. I don't go anywhere except maybe to the store, that's if I can see to drive, because I also have arthritis in eyes. So, sometimes I can see to drive and sometimes I can't so it has gotten me to the point that I don't want to drive, I'm afraid I will cause an accident and hurt someone else, so I just stay at home, and if I do need to go somewhere, my husband takes me. But when I run out of my medication for reasons that I don't care to discuss, it isn't bad, I just don't want to share, but when I do, I just slowly start going down the hill, and I can't see to make myself climb back up again. If it wasn't for my husband, I would still be at the bottom of the hill, he always seems to come to my rescue, most all of the time, but when he's not here, I stay in bed alot. I spend alot of time alone. Well that's all that I have to say at this point, maybe I will feel like sharing more of the story of my life when I feel more comfortable being here. Thank you for reading this, if you did. Linda 1-27-2010
  • m living a near-normal life. I say near-normal as I still have some fears of flying and being in large buildings like theaters and churches. I haven't seen a therapist for ten years and my internist prescribes the meds now. I really wonder if I can live without the meds at this point. I lost my job in 2002 and was unemployed for nine months with no insurance. I had a three-month supply of meds at that time and tapered myself off of them. When I got a new job I was so anxious that I went back on them. But I think that was partially withdrawal and partially the new job, and I probably should not have gone back on them. Now I am wondering, after all this time, are the meds actually really helping me or am I just helping myself now that I am living a normal life? If I went off of them would my panic disorder recur or have I basically "cured" myself?
<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre"> </pre>
<span class="ev_code_PURPLE">Linda</span><A HREF="mailto:cindygail43@comcast.net">cindygail43@comcast.net</A><pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre"> </pre>

Linda McKinney

Post by Linda McKinney » Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:39 am

I'm sorry that I messed up and interfered in your message, I just didn't know how to get started, I always mess things up, and look I did it again, I'm sorry to whomever wrote "Is medication-free really possible?" Please forgive me, I didn't mean to do it, please accept my apology? I feel really bad now because no one knows what you said, I interrupted the beginning of your message. I don't know how to fix it or I would. But dummy me, always screwing something up, I'm very, very sorry to whomever you are, you are welcome to email me and tell me what you think of me, I don't care what you say, because I know that your probably very upset with me, and I don't blame you, not in the least. Holler at me, cuss at me, whatever will make you feel better, I can take it. Sincerely, very sorry, Linda 1-27-2010 cindygail43@comcast.net I will be waiting to hear from you and whatever you need or must say to me, I'm prepared to hear whatever you want to say to me.

miamikittycat

Post by miamikittycat » Wed Jan 27, 2010 6:59 pm

Not sure what the previous post was about, but, don't worry Linda, this is a safe place for us. Nobody will be mad at you. On the contrary, it's helpful to everyone here that you share your feelings. I think you sound like a very kind person, Have a beautiful day, and maybe give yourself a break! ;)

lilchrissy

Post by lilchrissy » Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:16 pm

Linda, relax, we all make mistakes and I can't think of a better place to make them than a place like this. You by no means ruined the thread either :)

Back to the topic of med free being possible... I would say not only is it possible for most people, but desirable as well :)
    One of my first posts on here was about how CBT helped me get better and off meds. I still use the TEA forms regularly and have continued to grow and feel better and more energetic. I highly recommend giving it a try as you will never know if it works for you if you DON'T try....

Haldanegal

Post by Haldanegal » Thu Feb 04, 2010 9:29 am

Eventho I am back in a new program because I have fallen into my old habits there was a time when I was med free. It was wonderful. I was a different person and felt so well. It is a goal to work toward but just being able to reduce meds is wonderful also. Good luck.

lilchrissy

Post by lilchrissy » Sat Feb 06, 2010 6:07 pm

Originally posted by Haldanegal:
    Eventho I am back in a new program because I have fallen into my old habits there was a time when I was med free. It was wonderful. I was a different person and felt so well. It is a goal to work toward but just being able to reduce meds is wonderful also. Good luck.
    Good for you and I hope your new program works for you :)
    What kind of a program is it? CBT based?

egriff

Post by egriff » Mon Mar 15, 2010 12:10 pm

Originally posted by miamikittycat:
    Not sure what the previous post was about, but, don't worry Linda, this is a safe place for us. Nobody will be mad at you. On the contrary, it's helpful to everyone here that you share your feelings. I think you sound like a very kind person, Have a beautiful day, and maybe give yourself a break! ;)
    I agree. How are you Miami/Imtired? Hope you are well :)

lilchrissy

Post by lilchrissy » Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:09 pm

How's that new program going for you? I never heard back about whether it was a CBT program or not?

imtired

Post by imtired » Thu Mar 25, 2010 5:50 pm

Hi everyone. Been distracted for a while. To tell you all the truth, I haven't looked up TEA yet, but I will right after I write this. I'm on two meds for bi-polar now..not sure if they're working. I'm just sort of exsisting. I'm exhausted most of the time with no motivation. Maybe I need to make an appointment. Hope you all are well.

Edie

Post by Edie » Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:17 am

Hi, everybody! I stumbled on to you guys today. I have been put on Savella about a month ago along with Pristiq that I have been taking for a year or two ( cymblata before that) I have Fibro along with the depression and anxiety. This week has been terrible! I never know if its a virus or the Fibro, but I'm beginning to think it is the meds. I am trying to decide if I should get off the meds and try something else or not. It is very scary after almost 30 years of different meds for this stuff. I just don't know what is the right action to take. Any ideas would helpful....Thanks! Edie :?

Return to “Prescription Medication Discussion”