Considering drugs- any success stories?

Questions and experiences with prescription medications
MMH

Re: Considering drugs- any success stories?

Post by MMH » Sun Oct 23, 2011 4:32 pm

For the longest time I was on a I'm not taking drugs kick. I finally gave it a try. My husband was out of town alot and when he called me up I would cry over the smallest thing. I decided to give it a try- medication. The doctor put me on a low dose generic of Zoloft and it has helped tremendously. With my doctors help about 9 months later we are weaning me off. The catch to this is not to wean too fast, Some of my symptoms started coming back so I am back to regular dose. I am convinced this is biological and medicine does help. I am going to stay on it for another couple of months and try again. I am schedualed to see my doctor in a couple of weeks. Be patient with your self. Go to see a doctoe and just ask some questions. Open up, the doctor is there to help you and he/she understands! I hope this has helped you.

Martine

Post by Martine » Wed Oct 26, 2011 12:05 pm

I lost my husband w/i two hours due to a massive heart attack and now am helping
care for my mother with my other two siblings. Without Xanax I could not have made it.
My doctor prescribed 50 Mgs and I halfed the pill. I now half a 25Mg pill occasionally; maybe
from 2-4 times per week. Hopefully, I will be off all meds soon but being alone and loosing
my husband just killed me. I am getting stronger; This CBT program is helping a great deal
and the relaxation tape puts me to sleep. If you have to have the medicine, do it. I always
thought of it as a weekness, people on pills, but look at me. I thought I was so strong and
could face anything; it depends what that anything is...or what happens to you. Your shoes
tell you what you have to do to fill them; you can't go by what anyone else does. Just because
you may have to take medicine at this point does not mean you may have to take it forever.
It's your call but there are worse things and for me, it was and is a "God" send at times.

perspectivegirl

Post by perspectivegirl » Sat Oct 29, 2011 2:44 pm

I agree with everyone else, and I feel like I know where you're coming from. For years I saw meds as "the enemy" and I really thought that everyone was overmedicated and everyone could get over it by themselves if they really tried and blah blah, my thinking was so narrow, self-righteous and just plain stupid. I now realize that meds can help you, and that's what they're there for. As you can read in some of these posts, they've even saved the lives of some people. I was on Zoloft for a while, then my new psychiatrist said that wasn't what I should be on and now I'm on 50mg of Lamictal for my severe racing thoughts. I'm still seeing how this is working for me because I still have racing thoughts, and maybe I'll have to try something different. For me, it still takes time to realize that meds are actually okay. The other thing is that if you start taking meds, you can always stop taking them if you realize they're not for you. There's no harm in trying.

yougivemeone

Post by yougivemeone » Sun Oct 30, 2011 4:59 pm

Hey there! I am very skeptic when it comes to medication. I have tried SSRI's before for anxiety/depression with no relief. Infact, it made me extremely anxious and irritable. I am agoraphobic. At time better than others. On medication I am pretty much house bound --that is how bad the meds made me. The best luck I've had with myself was taking things day by day, small baby steps off medication. I am not saying don't take medication, but just be aware that it may take a few (average 7) medications to find the one that works for you. Some meds can make you WORSE!

Return to “Prescription Medication Discussion”