Do you need anti-depressants if your not depressed, just have anixety

Questions and experiences with prescription medications
LesterLou

Post by LesterLou » Tue Nov 23, 2010 1:22 pm

I keep wondering do you have to take anti depressants if your not depressed should i just be taking benzo's when needed. My doctor says that the anti-depressants help anixety as well, im just scared that if I am taking this drug and really dont need it am I setting my self up for the long run and will i have withdrawals later.

Paisleegreen

Post by Paisleegreen » Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:54 pm

Lester--If you are able to function, and are not suicidal, I wouldn't take anti-depressants. Because whatever drug you take, you will have to withdraw from them. How much Benzo's do you take a day? Do you have panic attacks often?

Anti-depressants helped me when I was in a deep dark depression and couldn't get out of bed. I had 5 children to keep an eye on, some in their pre teen years. I also was experiencing restless leg syndrome at the same time, so I don't know if all of this is related and I was under a lot of stress! I was depressed...I didn't have any panic attacks or anxiety like that at the time. My anxiety turned into depression but didn't know it was "anxiety" I was just under tremendous stress and expectations by many people and didn't know how to cope with it at the time. Expectations by my father, spouse, children, and I owned a home business.

I probably didn't recognize their expectations as being a problem until right now, come to think of it. It was a very long time ago when I started on anti-depressants.

LesterLou

Post by LesterLou » Thu Nov 25, 2010 2:51 pm

Paisleegreen, thanks for responding. I dont take any benzo's now just a low dose of Paxil which I recently switched to from zoloft because of weight issues and not sleeping so teh doc said paxil might help me feel more tired at night and gain some weight but I do have to take trazadone to sleep right now, its in my head that i wont sleep even though i am exhausted i can't make my self fall asleep on my own that's what scares me teh most, im not depressed, i just have aniexty occasionaly but I did have a bad panic attack in Sept for like a week and that's when the doc put me on zoloft so i am confused about this whole med stuff...i just want to be able to sleep at night on my own

Paisleegreen

Post by Paisleegreen » Thu Nov 25, 2010 5:56 pm

I take Temazepam to help me sleep due to restless leg syndrome and a snoring husband. I have at times been able to not take temazepam. Now life is a bit different and I would like to not have to take Remeron. It is used to help one sleep, but for me it brought back the restless leg syndrome or jerking limbs. Not necessarily legs, my arms have had jerky reactions.

Return to “Prescription Medication Discussion”