betablocker and zoloft

Questions and experiences with prescription medications
francesonthego

Post by francesonthego » Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:22 pm

i am currently on a betablocker for high blood pressure and rapid heart beat. of course, the doctor says these are just symptoms of my anxiety so he has prescribed me zoloft. i also see a therapist who has been insisting i take the zoloft for over 3 weeks now. but i am reluctant to take it. does anyone have experience taking a betablocker and an antidepressant at the same time? please help.
frances

Paisleegreen

Post by Paisleegreen » Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:46 pm

Hi, I was put on betablockers and Remeron or Mirtazapine is the generic name. I was put on them by a young Physician Assistant who I went to see because my regular Psychiatrist had been ill and the Nurse Practicioner did her best to help me, but I didn't feel she had the knowledge that I needed after I experienced a panic attack.

We tried to go on a small dosage of Zoloft, that was too energizing, then tried 100 mg of Wellbutrin, and that was too energizing because I had weaned myself off of Wellbutrin 2 months prior so wasn't taking anything and I thought I was fine. The only thing I took was Temazepam to help me sleep due to my husband snoring.

My restless leg syndrome went away once I was off the Wellbutrin. It came back once they put me on an anti-depressanst again. But when I felt the energizing effects of Wellbutrin, it scared me and I took a xanax, which I used to treat myself for the panic attacks until we could figure out why I was having them. I had never experienced them before.

Anyway, once there was an opening for my old DR, he weaned me off of the Betablockers. He said those must be dragging you down, and I thought it was because of the Remeron, since my family Dr said that Remeron can make you tired and drag.

So I felt better each time I was weaned off the Betablocker, it took a week per 1/2 of the blue pill. It wasn't pleasant, but DH helped me out while I went through withdrawals. I did have Xanax .5mg if I needed it. Which I usually would take 1/4 of a pill. Because I didn't want to be hooked on it. Even though they say with that amount I wouldn't.

I have low blood pressure last time checked but my pulse was high. I knew I have anxiety, but until they think I'm going to die, I'll work on the pulse rate. Which my Psychologist is working with me on my anxiety. Mainly to do aerobic exercise, easy walking, or swimming. Something like that. Running really wasn't discussed. I don't like to run unless it is for fun anyway. But I enjoy swimming and other activities, such as gardening right now.

Return to “Prescription Medication Discussion”