Alcohol & Meds

Questions and experiences with prescription medications
mm2bys

Post by mm2bys » Mon Aug 28, 2006 6:44 am

Since starting back on Paxil a few weeks ago I haven't had any alcohol. I know you aren't supposed to drink heavily on SSRIs but does anyone have an occasional glass of wine or beer when in a social situation? Does it seem to affect you in a + or - way?

Post by Guest » Mon Aug 28, 2006 7:12 am

Hi

I have the odd glass of wine (and a few more) and I am fine. I was taking 20mg of Celexa. It just makes me feel drunk -the same as it did before I started to take the SSRI.

At first (before the SSRI was working) alcohol made me feel more anxious -especially the morning after, but I think that was because I was worried about combining the two.

So, I'm sure the odd glass of wine will be okay. It's been fine for me.

Post by Guest » Mon Aug 28, 2006 7:21 am

hey there mm2bys, yes i have been on mes including paxil and xanax for 14yrs. i have drank beer many times, doesn't bother me at all. my friends come over every friday pm. i usually have 3 beers. i drink a glass of ice water after each one. so i can hang with them. i drink them slow. we usually hang out from 6-12 pm. lol when iwas just starting my meds and i wanted to go out 1 glass of wine made me want to go home and sleep. i don't want to encourage you to be a drunk or anything, but the 1st time you try it only have one. i am going to catch hell for this answer :eek: anita

Post by Guest » Mon Aug 28, 2006 7:23 am

Techincally if you have anxiety/depression... Alchohol is highly NOT recommend! Alcohol can trigger your anxiety/depression... Also, its not recommending to drink any alcohol while your on SSRI either...

Post by Guest » Mon Aug 28, 2006 7:48 am

Its not wise to drink alcohol with any benzo or Ssri. You are taking the meds to help with anxiety/depression. And alcohol is a depressent, so you are defeating your purpose, and it can be very dangerous. If you look up any of the benzos, xanax, valium, klonipin, atiivan, on a drug interaction, you will see the main thing it tells you is alcohol and these meds do NOT mix. Same with SSRI's. I guess its your choice if yu drink and take these meds, i just dont think its worth the risk myself, at least not for me. Take care Nelly

Post by Guest » Thu Aug 31, 2006 7:00 am

i drink any where from ten to 15 beer on week-end it doesn't have much of an effect on me .well maybe some times it does,but can't help it.i'm on cymbalta been on everything elsetoo.

Post by Guest » Thu Aug 31, 2006 7:53 am

Stonehand,
If you cant help it (drinking) then you have an alcohol problem. I come from a long background of alcoholics,from a one a day drinker, to a weekend binge drinker, to a carry vodka in your thermos drinker. Regardless how you cut it, if you "cant help it", there is a problem. And it can be distructive! Please find an AA group to go to. Get Help!!Im the only ONE of Five brotheres and sisters who ISNT an alcoholic, refuse to touch the stuff. It destroys lives, and for my brothers and sisters, they are all in recovery and have been for several years. Take care :) Nelly

Jody Lynn

Post by Jody Lynn » Thu Aug 31, 2006 8:38 am

hey there girls, i suppose my dad is an alcholic. he drank every day except sunday. it had no impact on our family. he was nice, never yelled or hit us. did everything dads are supposed to do. of course taht was a long time ago, as i am old now. he is 78yrs now and still drinks 6 beers a day. we did have this neighbor man who had 10 kids and he beat them every night when he came home drunk. my husband used to try to be stupid when he drank. i refused to allow it. i would never have let my kids grow up with a crazy ,mean,alcholic. iwas around alchol a lot when i was a kid. my parents and their friends would always drink, all of the kids just ran around playing while they were drinking and talking. i have never really known any self destructine alkies. don't want to.anita

Post by Guest » Thu Aug 31, 2006 9:24 am

This is an intersting topic. I also enjoy a few beer every day. Usualy 1 or 2 when i get home and and maybe one with dinner. This is not smart of me. I have been cured of hep c for over a year now, and I take dilantin everyday for a siezure i had ( only one ever in my life) 3 years ago. The hep c was discovered after the siezure in blood tests. I have tried many times 12 step groups to help me. I have stayed "sober" for years at a time. But even sober I was missing something. 12 years of cathilic school, god does'nt do it for me anymore. So i went for the hep c cure.. The wife was no help.. and could not deal with me during the cure. The side effects sucked, and i stopped the first time after two months. Then i started over... Lasted six months.. and yes drinking some beers in between. I know I can never drank like when i was 25. ( I am 43 now) I rarely get drunk. I dont go to parties or bars. I dont go anywhere.. I have no reaL close male friends, or female. I have three wonderful kids. I am involved in their lives. I live with them and my wife. I have been working at the same place 18 years, make descent money, have a house.... The reason i got in this program is to hopefully wake up. Isolation is not good. I have tried all kinds of meds.. when i was under the hep c cure. So.... I like a few beers a day. I dont get angry i dont argue I dont yell. I do my job and move on. How i got this way.. not enough space or time. Alcaholic?? by defiinition yes. good/bad. too much from me.. also... I changed my name from ren to this one. I should of known better to chose it.. The mrs knows i use ren. I would prefer to be Xilinx now

Post by Guest » Thu Aug 31, 2006 9:39 am

Anita,
What are you talking about? Alcoholics are self destructive to themselves. Your right NOT all alcoholics beat people up, my brothers are great people, have families, but it dang sure had an effect on thier kids. And my husband and I NEVER drank in front of our kids, and i only drank once or twice in my whole life. But, my son is an alcoholic, and it has caused problems in his marriage,his job at times. PLEASE, people are living in a fantasy world to think that alchoholism doesnt effect families. Plus, you are killing your liver, and other organs. That along with taking meds for anxiety/depression is a deadly combination, and you never know who it will effect. Nelly

PS. Please remember there are lots of innocent people being killed daily on the roads and highways by drunk drivers. And, alcoholism has no barriers, it effects young old black white yellow red and is male and female. What parents do at home effect thier children, regardless how people try to justify it. You drink everyday or your husband drinks everyday, a kid is getting the message there is nothing wrong with alcohol... Thanks

Return to “Prescription Medication Discussion”