Second Week! What brought you to this program?

Tell us about yourself. We want to hear your story so we can all support and encourage you!
Mantragirl

Second Week! What brought you to this program?

Post by Mantragirl » Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:13 am

Hello,
My sister bought this program for her husband a few years ago but the package remained unopened, so when I had my severe mental and physical breakdown in January, 2017, she sent it to me! Alas, it remained unopened again until 2 weeks ago! (January 2019). After listening to CD 1 and completing the corresponding workbook, I realized this program is exactly perfect for me.
I would love to connect with others starting this program and share successes and issues. I completed a hospital-based group program for anxiety and depression and enjoyed the group interaction. That program was designed as a crisis intervention and introduction to drug therapy, but I felt so lost when my time in that program ended. I asked, “What do I do now? Where do I go from here? Who is going to help me continue my recovery?” This program seems much more in-depth and seems to take up where the crisis program left off. Well, I’ve already learned in one week, that this power lies within myself.
Has anyone else had a similar experience? What brought you to try this program?
Thank you!
Patrice
Last edited by Mantragirl on Wed Jan 30, 2019 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mantragirl

Re: What brought you to this program?

Post by Mantragirl » Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:39 am

P-S,
I’m on CD 2 and was thinking about the topic of adrenaline. I think my body has become so used to enormous amounts of stress that in a way, it is addicted to the adrenaline that stress and panic produce. Maybe that’s why I love caffeine... 🤨

coachchris

Re: Second Week! What brought you to this program?

Post by coachchris » Wed Jan 30, 2019 2:47 pm

Hi Patrice,

It is a curious topic this idea of being "addicted" to the adrenaline. I know many of us like a steady hum of energy/adrenaline but it's a fine line between energy and anxiety. I love the program because it helps us to understand the mind body connection and give us a healthy 'control' over our thoughts and feelings.

How are the six steps going for you from lesson two?
Also wanted to invite you to the peer chat Monday evenings at 8pm EASTERN time. I would love to chat with you and answer any questions you might have.

Coach Chris

mkat

Post by mkat » Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:49 pm

Mantra girl, I am addicted to adrenaline and stress and panic too, which is why i love my caffeine too, but caffeine DOES NOT love me. It feels like the hardest drug I have ever had to quit and I have made a lot of progress but am still challenged by it.
I want to restart the program. I have started many times before but would give up after week 2 or 3, and I think the biggest thing that would keep me going is if I visit these forums everyday or almost everyday, so that I can connect with others who are also doing the program.

So, tomorrow, on monday, I will start week one day one.

I have a lot of racing thoughts, so it's hard to feel the discomfort of being in the state of mind that I am in, but with baby steps, I can talk myself into moving forward with my life in a positive direction.

Just the fact that I am posting my thoughts onto this forum right now is helping me to feel better, so I will make an effort to do more of that every single day or at least on most days.

Thank you for the support and for this program.

- Michelle or mkat

LukN4life

Post by LukN4life » Fri Feb 15, 2019 6:41 pm

I'm just starting chapter 7. I'm working it as best I can. The program is so awesome at times. Especially listening to the group sessions at the end of the tapes. This week has been very challenging for me. Like a low level panic attack all week, and hard to sleep. But I'm finding out soo much through this program.! I know we can get past this.

coachchris

Post by coachchris » Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:27 am

Lesson 7 is amazing! One of the most challenging too because learning to be assertive and use our voice can be scary! I also find being assertive with ourselves in a kind way requires a lot of self-control and compassion.
Be patient, set small goals and celebrate every little bit of change you are making.

You're halfway through the program. WOW!!!

SassySu

Post by SassySu » Sat Mar 23, 2019 2:39 pm

Hey all,
I'm currently straddling between week 3 and week 4. Jotting down my negative mind talk in a notebook is more effort than I can muster or so it seems! I had an insight about my negative chatter. It doesn't always come at me in a complete sentence. Often it's just the name of someone or a reminder of something in my past that I have regrets about which, when triggered, brings me into anxiety and despair. I need to write these thoughts out and counter them with positive statements. It's a challenge because I'm impatient and lazy when it comes to doing things that don't bring me immediate results. However, I noticed a significant shift in my mood for the better when I focused my thoughts around glass half full. I was generally more hopeful and patient with myself. AND, slowing down and moving forward with the idea of progress not perfection has been helpful. If I try to do the exercises perfectly (which is how my mind likes to work), I'm setting myself up for failure and will never get through all the weeks.
Happy to be on board!
SassySu

Return to “New Forum Member Introduce Yourself HERE”