The Freeway

Don't let a setback discourage you, face the challenge and come out stronger for it. Celebrate your successes and be open to all of new opportunities that are about to come into your life.
Chuckie

Post by Chuckie » Thu Jul 31, 2008 11:49 am

Hey all,
It's been a while since I visited this site. I just finished the program and will start again in a couple of weeks. It took me longer than 15 weeks as I moved somewhere around week 10 and took a bit of time off to get settled. For the most part I feel a lot better. I have not had a panic attack since I began the program. However, I have felt very nervous or panicky and I have yet to prove to myself that this will not lead to an attack. I do understand these feelings a whole lot more with the help of the program.
I have faced a lot of fears and come out successfully. I thought I was ready for my biggest anxiety producing situation and that is long distance freeway driving, but I guess I am not there yet. I have driven on the freeway, but only in and around my own city. I have even driven the to the same location , about 12 mi. away, I drove today, with very little anxiety, but today was different.
1) Traffic. and lots of it. I didn't think I would hit it as it was the middle of the day but it was pretty heavy. 2) I didn't tell anybody where I was going or what I was doing (practicing) and that led to some "What If" thoughts.
I didn't have an attack but the haze or spacey feeling, very nervous, dry mouth. It never got any worse than that but that was bad enough.
I wanted to drive further to prove to myself that I could and eventually drive much further (over 100 mi) to visit some friends again.
It was a bit too much and so I got off and turned around. The feelings didn't really leave until I got close to my own town.
I've been doing very good and I am proud of what I have accomplished. I guess I was just hoping these feelings wouldn't be there when I was on the freeway.
Audio Books, talk radio doesn't cut it. Nor does music. I was trying to talk to someone when I started feeling anxious, but none of my close friends were available.
AHHHHHHHH!!!! I thought those feelings were gone.
Any thoughts or comments are welcome.
Tony

Post by Guest » Thu Jul 31, 2008 12:17 pm

Wow, I would say what you did was MAJOR. You're getting back out there and attempting to do the things that scare you. You may experience those scary symptoms when you first start out but you know they won't really hurt you. It doesn't mean that the next time you go out you will have those feelings again and if you do, float with them. I know it's tough to do while you are trying to drive but the more practice the better you will be. Keep working at it and don't let this episode discourage you. Good luck.

Post by Guest » Mon Aug 04, 2008 9:41 am

G1822
Thanks for your response. I appreciate your input. This is that one last hurdle I need to get over. The program has worked wonders for me in all other situations, but when I am on the freeway and far from home it is very difficult for me to float with those feelings we all know so well. I'll keep on practicing.
Thanks again.
Tony

Return to “Session 15 - Getting Beyond a Growth Spurt”