My growth spurt is here....

Don't let a setback discourage you, face the challenge and come out stronger for it. Celebrate your successes and be open to all of new opportunities that are about to come into your life.
Karmerri

Post by Karmerri » Fri Nov 21, 2008 10:06 pm

Although I do not post very often, I am not new here. This is a great place to see that you are not the only one with anxiety and depression problems and struggles...along with triumphs and successes! I finished the program the summer of '07. I want to do the program again, but probably not until the end of this coming summer into next fall b/c I will have no kids home with me during the day and I could devote undivided time to it. I still listen to certain lessons here and there when I need to and I always enjoy reading great motivational books that you guys recommend on this website.

I have come to realize that my kind of anxiety really stems from stress. (if typing this at 4:45 in the morning is of any hint....) So, from the program, I have learned to really keep doing the relaxation tape, deep breathing, positive thoughts. Try to control the stress. I've also narrowed this down to a few things that are causing me, well, emotional stress and I guess I just need to vent. My daughter's (who is turning 5)birthday is coming up. We don't do traditional kid parties, what we do is something special as a family, go out to eat (their choice), they get a couple of gifts, and we get a cake. My kids really love it and of course they get treated extra special that day. We wanted to take my daughter to Radio City Music Hall, but, with our budget, we couldn't this year so we are going to take her to the Bronx Zoo (I know, its winter, but they have a winter wonderland theme that wknd with lots of xmas activities for the kids). To top it all off, the Sat. after Thanksgiving is my 20th year high school reunion!!! And my best friend from high school (we talk once and a while) wants me to go with her to see a friend's band play the night before as a intro to the reunion..

So, my mind is in overdrive and I feel like my hypochondriasis wants to kick in....like my ear felt clogged up and the weird sound it made started to freak me out. Stupid stuff like that, you know. Like one little odd thing will set me off...Again, I think the positive thing is I know what's causing this...and I just need to jump out of the cycle but it's hard.

Stress about money around the holidays and my expectations about everything right now is my biggest problem. I want my kids to love their gifts, I want everyone to enjoy the holdidays, I want to look 'perfect' for my reunion, have my act together....etc. etc. Why am I doing this to myself?? Well, that's it for now. I will get over this, it's a moment in time and I just need to slow down. Any advice or words of wisdom? Thanks.

pecos

Post by pecos » Sat Nov 22, 2008 7:04 am

Hey! A couple of thoughts: Too much, too much, slow down. Your life sounds like a nice one, and your family sounds pretty cool, too. My advice (since you asked for some) is to go back to listening to the Relaxation CD at least once a day (minimum). Listen to holiday music during the day. Sing along with the songs you know. Singing elevates our feel good chemistry. Listen to Sessions One and Two again. Review the carry-a-long cards for these two sessions. And then my advice is to enjoy your life. It does sound like a nice one. Present moment, moment to moment. Just enjoy it. Don't fret over all the little stuff so much.
;)

Darlene Elizabeth

Post by Darlene Elizabeth » Sat Nov 22, 2008 8:26 am

When I try to do too much I become overwhelmed and do nothing. I get stressed out and can't keep my focus on one thing. I agree with pecos that you have to take baby steps one at a time. Focus your attention on one thing at a time and when it's time for the next event, let the other one go and focus on the new one. Getting ahead of ourselves and causing ourselves anxiety isn't worth it and squeezes all the joy out of everything. I think you have a wonderful family tradition and applaud you for making your children's birthdays special and all about family. Have a good time at the zoo, face the holidays one step at a time and the same with your reunion. And have fun doing each thing.

Return to “Session 15 - Getting Beyond a Growth Spurt”