Anxiety caused by Physical Symptoms

For discussion of Chronic Diseases such as Obesity, Cancer, Heart Disease, Diabetes, etc.
radiorog

Post by radiorog » Mon Jul 28, 2008 8:55 am

Ok - here it goes. I have been fighting Panic and Anxiety for almost 15 years or so. Got put on Zoloft and it seemed to work for a few years - now it seems to have lost its effect. My panic comes from physical symptoms - I have severe acid reflux and get serious pain in my chest - which leads me dowen the heart attack road - if not that then I think something else is wrong - I know I am ok or I want t obelieve I am ok but will the physical symptoms it is a bit difficult. I am in this fight to win! just ordered the 30 day free trial - any suggestions or thoughts!

Post by Guest » Mon Jul 28, 2008 9:01 am

Did you talk to your doctor about changing your medication since the zoloft has lost it's effect? You sound like you are very positive, which is a big step towards recovery. I would talk to your doctor and see if there is a new med he or she can put you on. Once you start the program you will learn ways to combat your anxiety so when you get sick or feel sick you won't associate it with anxiety and scary thoughts.

Good luck

Post by Guest » Mon Jul 28, 2008 9:06 am

Rog, Nexium worked very well for me for awhile for the heartburn. Have you had a physical recently, that helped me really realize that my heart was just fine and I have been better with the health stuff recently. Good Luck with the program...use the relaxation cd as much as possible and use the workbook. Gamer

Post by Guest » Mon Jul 28, 2008 9:11 am

ok so tell me - does the program really work - ? I will try nexium - on aspyhex but still getting the burn!

Post by Guest » Mon Jul 28, 2008 9:35 am

Yes I believe the program works...It isnt magic though...you have to be motivated to do the lessons and not take shortcuts...(I found this out when I quit doing the workbook) That seemed to limit the effectiveness. This program is about changing your thoughts...most of us have used our negative thinking very effectively (unfortunately). Now it is time to change our thoughts to the positive ones. It is amazing how much you can change if you just think positively...

Post by Guest » Mon Jul 28, 2008 9:40 am

radiorog,

I have the same stupid chest pain crap which I was unaware of and it landed me in the ER at the end of June. The doc gave me a script for Nexium and after several weeks, wha-la! The pain and pressure stuff is gone.

I used to get horrible physical symptoms and that used to get my anxiety going like wildfire. Any little pain, any little twitch, anything at all got me going down thinking all the horrible things. None was true though.

I too ordered the 30 day trial back in October 2005. I received it in November 2005 and was going to send it back.

I am glad I did not. This program has opened my eyes into the way I think. The talk therapy I received a few years before that did zilch and the meds just masked my issues. I used the program, got a CBT therapist, took meds to help me get over the hurdle, read self help books, came here, relied on family and friends for support and encouragement and now I am med free and living my life. Is my life perfect? NO. But it does not have to be. The program taught me that I REALLY am GREAT just the way I am and I did not keep to impress anyone, be perfect, that I did not have to hide, but could stick up for myself.

When you get the program make sure you do ALL the lessons, workbook exercises, relaxation, follow the diet (no sugar, caffeine), exercise. You can overcome this, but remember that the program does require a commitment to yourself to not only do it, but to complete it.

Post by Guest » Mon Jul 28, 2008 9:43 am

Hello radiorog,

Don't know if you've looked into natural remedies. If you find a professional naturopathic physician, you will be amazed at the results. I've been under this type of care since May of this year and after 15+ years of serious health issues and trying every kind of medications, etc., I finally have found relief and healing.

I have been suffering with GERD/reflux, fybromyalgia, IBS, anxiety/panic, and intestinal issues that caused inflammation among other troubles. The herbal/naturopathic care has been the ONLY help that has significantly reduced or eliminated these problems. I've been taking them for two months and the results is incredible. I have more work to do, but I am on the road to recovery. And there are no side effects and nothing is addictive.

My anxiety is almost all the way gone. My menstrual hormones (maybe menopause), and other hormones that interact with the adrenal glands and the thyroid glands are the prime culprit to my anxiety/panic. Although my other health issues (pain, intestinal inflammation, GERD, etc.) also play a huge role. In addition to this program, the herbal therapy has eliminated my panics. My naturopath is still working on my hormones, etc. (takes time for my body to balance itself and heal). So the anxiety is slowly disappearing.

Ask friends and family if they know of anyone in your area that they recommend. Check the web or the local yellow pages. Also, most good health food stores will carry items that may be helpful. But if you are taking meds, be sure to check with a professional about taking herbs and how they might interact with the meds. It's best to find a prof. naturopathic physician.

Good luck,

Eileen :)

Post by Guest » Fri Sep 12, 2008 3:13 am

Wow, I too have severe reflux symptoms too. I mistake anxiety for reflux and mistake reflux for anxiety. So I struggle with my comforting thoughts and floating through my physical symptoms. I am in week 3 of the program and am writing down my negative thoughts and then writing down my positive empowering thoughts and it's working for me. I think writing my down my positive thoughts and seeing them written down helps more. Lucinda says we have a choice to make when anxiety happens, we can choose positive thoughts or negative thoughts. We must have the strength to take the path that is harder, to say and believe comforting things.

Return to “Chronic Disease Sufferers”