need encouragement basal cell carcinoma

For discussion of Chronic Diseases such as Obesity, Cancer, Heart Disease, Diabetes, etc.

Post by Guest » Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:30 pm

Gman:
Good point. Just because I had one bad result from a biopsy, doesn't immediately give me permission to "what if" the rest of my fears. And it certainly doesn't mean that more bad things are on the way.

I heard late this afternoon reasonably good news - I guess - it's all relative. The mole on my arm was only slightly atypical and no further treatment is needed. So that is good. The spot on my nose (next to where they found the basal cell cancer) is precancerous, and they will treat this with chemotherapy cream once my surgery is done. If that had been the initial news, I probably would have been upset, but following a basal cell diagnosis, I guess it is a good thing! I have an appointment Monday morning for the dermatologist to look at my son.

Thank you for the reminders to use what I know and practice so frequently. I don't know what will happen Monday morning. I am glad we are checking it out, and I will do my best to imagine the best possible outcomes.

BTTRFLY

Post by BTTRFLY » Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:54 pm

Good, good news!!! You and your son are in good hands. I am 32 and have actually a good number of friends around myage who have had various skin cancers...all are freeand clear, as will you be ;)

Tara
"If nothing ever changed...there would be no Butterflies." Author unknown

Post by Guest » Sun Nov 01, 2009 1:07 pm

It sounds like it was caught early enough that I'm sure you will be fine. And I'm also sure that your doctor is just being very cautious about checking your son and that he will be fine too. Hang in there... lots of people sending prayers and good wishes your way!

Post by Guest » Mon Nov 02, 2009 2:17 am

TDub: Thanks for your kind words. It has been 7 months since my surgery. I had a great plastic surgeon, and the scar on my nose is barely noticeable. The dermatologist was not overly concerned about my son, so he'll just have an annual skin exam. We are big on sunscreen and hats around here now! It is probably too late for me, because much of my sun damage has already occurred, but I can be careful about my kids. Thanks!

Post by Guest » Mon Nov 02, 2009 11:28 am

That is great news, SleeplesMom!!!!!
I am a very fair-skinned blonde type, so I've always had to be real careful. I went to Florida when I was young (when I was still dumb enough to think I could get tan!) and laid out for 15 minutes on each side at 10A... and got sun poisoning! That was the day that I gave up on tans, and now I try to be real careful.
Thanks for letting me know everything went o.k. That's great news--I'm sure others were glad to hear it too.

Return to “Chronic Disease Sufferers”