Books that CAUSE Anxiety?

Attention book lovers! Have a great book to share or recommend? Post your reviews.
Lena Hourglass

Post by Lena Hourglass » Fri Jun 29, 2007 5:42 am

I just wanted to know if anyone else was as sensitive to the stuff they read as I am. I don't think I could read a book about anxiety because I am afraid that I would just get new ideas from what I read about how to make myself anxious.

One example that I have most recently and unfortunately come across is a fiction book that gave me panic while reading. The Vampire Lestat Near the beginning of the book and while Lestat is still human, a young adult not much older than myself, he begins to fear "death." Anne Rice goes into such depths to describe his fear and feelings that I was trembling with him.

Has anyone read this book or had this happen while reading a book?

Oddly enough, I am still trying to pick up the darn thing because I'm halfway through reading it, but I think I'll have to give it up as a lost cause.

The Vampire Lestat! The book that produces anxiety! --It's almost laughable.

Post by Guest » Tue Jul 03, 2007 12:07 am

Hi Lena,
I know what you mean. I used to love crime stories, especially British thrillers like Ruth Rendell, Deborah Crombie, Elizabeth George (oh, I think she´s American)....

However, I can´t read them anymore because they are mainly about psycho killers, written from their point of view. That makes it interesting, but also it scares me since I have this disorder. Why? Beause they describe normal scenes turning into horror, or the horror waiting behind the fence of a nice little village, you know (can´t explain it better because English isn´t my native language).

Of course those things exist, but in comparison to 6 billions of poeple on this planet, there are only very few who are really doing those terrible things.
When my panic disorder started, I used to fear the danger outside, especially beause my daughter was little and I was afraid that she could be killed, raped, kidnapped or misused or whatever.
Thats´why I also stopped watching crime series on TV, they scare me to death. Before I got this disorder, I loved that, X-files and stuff.
Meanwhile the things that scare me have changed, I fear what´s going on in myself, which has to do with changes and circumstances in my life: single Mum of a teenager, I´m the only person responsable for her; I have a hard time in my job, my coworker rejects me and I´m constantly afraid of making mistakes and being critizised.
These things keep me anxious and tense. So I´d rather read trashy love stories or family novels, but they just bore me to death (because I KNWO that they are fiction, life isn´t like that!)
So what do I read? The bible and specialized books about anxiety and psychological subjects...which makes me cirlce around my problems even more.

Okay, my advice, read books that are encouraging, whatever it may be in your case, about roses and gardening...or animals... :)

Post by Guest » Tue Jul 03, 2007 2:23 am

I have this too. I also loved the crime shows, unsolved mysteries, x-files, etc. but now I can't watch them. Same with some dramas. It has to be lighthearted, uplifting, make me feel good. I used to read the newspaper all the time, but not anymore. I just get the headlines and general gist of the story and move on. I know these scarey/bad things exist in the world and ignoring them isn't the answer, but I'm not going to read a complete novel about it and dwell. I used to try and almost force myself to do it, but then I realized, isn't this book reading/tv watching supposed to be enjoyable? So now I also read a lot of non fiction dealing with my interests, the bible and inspirational/go for it stuff.

Post by Guest » Fri Aug 17, 2007 12:20 pm

I feel the same way..about some fiction and about some books on anxiety. Some authors go into such depth about the way it feels when you're having an attack that I feel one coming on! :(

Post by Guest » Fri Aug 17, 2007 4:41 pm

Yes! I bought the book "Deadly Emotions" when I first started the program thinking it would help. HA! I got half way throught and I was MORE anxious about feeling and being anxious!

Post by Guest » Sun Aug 19, 2007 3:32 pm

Oh my gosh, I can't go near Anne Rice books. Negativity in its' purest form.
I love many different types of literature, but some books get sent back after a few pages. Not worth the anxiety.

Not a bad thing to abandon a book halfway through-sometimes it's just a matter of intelligence and self compassion. Like this time.
Hugs.

sleeplessMom

Post by sleeplessMom » Wed Aug 22, 2007 1:10 am

Hi all,

Rule of thumb for me is (NO fiction),read some years ago and it just adds to the mystery of your problems.These fiction writers have no consideration for their readers.They sell books and a reason to be out of reality.

Post by Guest » Mon Oct 29, 2007 12:49 am

I happen to love documentaries on disasters, but of late that of the Universe. I'm not scared of the countless way that our existence could be annihilated but the fact of how tiny and insignificant it is. I also love books written by or in similar fashion to that of H.P. Lovecraft who has grasped this concept and proposed that there are BIENGS that exist at this cosmic level. Beings soo advance that they are beyond human comprehension.

Post by Guest » Mon Mar 10, 2008 1:06 pm

You know what book made me nervous? Night,by Elie Wiesel.It's important to learn about the Holocaust,I know,but maybe at a time when you're not so...on edge.Oh,and I didn't read it because Oprah told me to... ;)

Post by Guest » Mon Mar 10, 2008 2:42 pm

Hey Lena,
When I was 17 I read a book by Clive Barker. I can't even remember the name of the book but there was this character whose skin was rotting off of him, he had maggots crawling through his skin,etc. Well that was the last book I ever read from that genre and it was fiction!
I try to stay away from certain films and books. It's no big deal I just know what's good for me.