Panic Attacks-Why are they so bad,will I ever be able to stop them, and advice?

Comments and inquiries to share with others. (Questions for Staff can be posted below.)
Nakita

Post by Nakita » Tue Jan 08, 2008 6:34 am

I had never had a panic attack in my life until I was about fourteen. They started right after my brother had passed away. He had committed suicide and there is a long story that goes with this but I will leave it out. In a nutshell, it was a very traumatic experience. After experiencing panic attacks for months and months I finally broke down and told my parents who took me to a doctor. I was put on medication. Years later I got to a point where I was doing so well I got off all medication but eventually ended up on it again within a year. My anxiety and panic attacks had been out of control for the last few months. My cousin whom I was very close to just passed away-another suicide. This seems to be the cause of my severe anxiety and panic. My question is this-
When I get a panic attack they come out of nowhere. One second I am fine and the next I am knee deep in panic. When I get these attacks it begins with my stomach hurting. I soon get diarrhea and begin to dry heeve. I shake uncontrollably and I feel like I am being smothered. I try to do breathing exercises but I can't seem to catch my breath. And all the while I have thoughts going through my head about why don't I just give up to I will never get better....I want to be with my family but they are so far away will I ever see them again...will I ever come out of this panic attack...what if I end up dying what will my husband do...
I try to think positive thoughts and tell myself it is going to be okay but I don't believe it is going to be okay. I feel like I am going crazy and it is only going to get worse.
Can anyone relate or does anyone have advice.
Also, I just started the program I am only on week one

Post by Guest » Tue Jan 08, 2008 7:16 am

Nakita - I know right now you don't feel you can heal but that's just another lie from your ego-thinking mind. Don't believe it! Also, you have had a lot of sadness in your life. Having anxiety sounds normal to me!

Inside of you there is a little girl who needs your love, affection and acceptance of what you are going through right now - including all your feelings. This is not about trying to get rid of anxiety. It's about allowing it to come and go. It will not hurt you, Nakita. It's uncomfortable as hell, but it will not hurt you. You must work on thought stoppage. You have no control over what thought comes in first. With the first signs - Use your stop sign. Then start your breath work. Then get involved in cleaning the fridg, laundry, ironing, anything present moment. Keep busy. There are many other exercises you will learn to utilize. All will bring you to healing eventually so please persevere. DO NOT BELIEVE THE LIE THAT YOU SHOULD GIVE UP! The ego thinking mind loves it when you react. That's what keeps it going.

Put your arms around yourself and nuture that little girl inside. Tell her it's OK to feel how she is feeling. See yourself as the small child. Never judge her nor criticize her. All she wants is your love. Talk to yourself the way you would any small child. You will heal. Do the work that is necessary for your healing. Keep coming to the forum. I also want to recommend "Freedom from Fear" by Dr. Howard Liebgold. Excellent for what you are experiencing and goes well with this program. You can get it on Amazon.com

There is so much help out there. Start right where you are. You will see changes.

My best to you.

Post by Guest » Tue Jan 08, 2008 7:25 am

I CAN RELATE I HAVE SUFFERED WITH PANIC ATTACKS FOR AROUND 8 YEARS. THEY COME ON OUT OF THE BLUE AND EVERYTIME I THINK THIS ONE IS REAL AND I AM GOING TO DIE AND LEAVE MY WIFE AND CHRILDREN BEHIND. I HAVE JUST ORDERED THE PROGRAM AND IT IS MY LAST HOPE,I JUST WANT TO BE NORMAL AGAIN. I OFTEN ASK WHY ME WHAT DID I DO TO BE STUCK WITH THIS HORRIABLE LIFE SUCKING DISEASE. IF YOU NEED TO TALK I WILL TRY TO HELP IN ANY WAY I CAN .

Post by Guest » Tue Jan 08, 2008 7:30 am

Hey,

Hang in there, work the program, the triggers from childhood are worst of all.Believe the advice above and keep the hope !!!!

Sincerely,Sit

Post by Guest » Tue Jan 08, 2008 10:16 am

i don't even know where to start! all i know is i have been going crazy with body symptons that i feel like are holding me back from recovery. i use to have panic attacks but they have subsided since i started the program. my legs get tingly and or just feel like i've excersied, which i haven't, my head feels like the blood is always rushing in, my arms sometimes feel sore for no apparent reason, and my chest feels tight. i've been to the doctor many times, but blood work comes up fine mri and scan of head are fine.my instinct is to keep looking but my family says i will always want another test and when they are done i will want them to redo all the tests already done. they are right. but how can i feel so uncomfortable and nothing be wrong? how do i get past this block, and if anyone else can relate to these symptons please let me know. nseems like everyone has dizziness, heart races, so on, mine seem like i'm all alone! thats why i cant get pass this fear.why do i seem to be so different?

Post by Guest » Tue Jan 08, 2008 11:29 am

You're not alone, Debbie. Your symptoms are normal for panic attack disorder and also generalized anxiety. Tingling limbs ( arms, too, are affected), heavy chest, pressure in head. Emotions are very strong. We feel them throughout our entire body. That's why some people get diarrhea. Anxiety affects the WHOLE body.

Welcome all those sensations in! It's your resistance to them that keeps you miserable.

Post by Guest » Tue Jan 08, 2008 12:29 pm

This morning I had a terrible panic attack from guilt over something that happened many years ago. I am currently in week 3 and i had a difficult time using self talk to comfort myself. The self talk seemed unbelievable.

I haven't had a panic attack in about 3-4 weeks. The self talk had been working until this am. I know I am supposed to be my own safeperson/place but I ended calling a comforting friend who also suffers with panic attack and she helped me get through it.

With her help I began to question what was really bothering me and why was I being negative and obessing with scary thoughts, what was I getting out of it? What I came to realize was I was distracting myself with the scary what if obessive thinking to avoid processing that my older sister was having some medical concerns.

So after my panic attack I contacted my brother in law to learn that my older sister who had breast cancer situation 5yrs ago was now undergoing some treatment for side effects from the medication she had to take to prevent a recurrence of the breast cancer.

But instead of acknowleding my concerns for my sister, and taking action/making a phone call, I turned it inward and had a horrible morning.

Thank God I am feeling better now but I did learn a few valuable lessons. I cannot deny when something is bothering me. I need to acknowledge how I am feeling and Do something about it. Talk to a trusted friend, exercise, be thankful for the positives in my life and realize the panicky scary thoughts and feelings will pass its just anxiety.

I just wanted to share my accomplishment for the day. Good luck and God Bless.

Post by Guest » Tue Jan 08, 2008 12:51 pm

It's important for you to know that panic attacks will not kill you. people go through far far worse and survive! Just think of people who go through severe car crashes and trauma, people who choose to fill their bodies with heroin and cocaine. People who go through wars... panic attacks are just adrenelin, and far too much of it. You will not die and leave anyone behind due to a panic attack. Trust me :)

Post by Guest » Tue Jan 08, 2008 1:03 pm

Hello, Can anyone tell me if what I'm experencing is a panic attack or if it's general anxiety? I feel very off and my heart races and races sometimes for hours. When I'm at work it doesn't stop. I keep hearing that panic attacks come one and are gone quickly, this seems to stay for a long time. I get shakey and very tired and weak ?

Post by Guest » Tue Jan 08, 2008 2:32 pm

i had a panic / anxiety attack that lasted almost a week. That was my first one - it took me to the doc 2x for EKG and then to the ER thinking I was having a heart attack - nope - just anxiety. My heart rate was around 100 and pounding! the panic attack started because I was getting blood work done for a physical - one of my numbers was off and I worked myself up to the point i was planning my funeral! I took Ativan for a few days and got on paxil and felt better. Got off paxil a year ago and get mild panic or anxiety - i didn't want to go back on meds so I started this program. Good luck to you!
O one more thing - if your sensitive to suggestion and worry about health issues - avoid medical tv shows (like ER, House etc) they get me worked up - i feel like I know the patient and then start worrying about them all nite !!!

Return to “General Comments/Inquiries about”