Root Canal and Nervous

Comments and inquiries to share with others. (Questions for Staff can be posted below.)
erinh

Post by erinh » Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:21 am

Hi All! :-) I am scheduled for a root canal on Dec 28th and I am so nervous about it. I am not really nervous about the pain, just the fact that I am stuck in a chair for an hour or more. I have panic attacks when I am stuck somewhere and can't leave when I want too. Has someone had a root canal and experience panic attacks? I just need something to take my mind off of it and be able to sit in the chair and not experience a panice attack. Any suggestions would help :-) Thank you!

Post by Guest » Mon Dec 14, 2009 2:42 pm

Hello!

I had a root canal about three years ago, and this may sound silly, but I focused on the ceiling tiles and the blinds on the windows. I counted how many tiles there were, tried to calculate how many little dots there were in each tile and then in the whole ceiling, etc. Not the most fascinating way to spend your time, but at least it takes your mind off the root canal!

You might also ask your dentist if it's okay to bring a pair of headphones and listen to music or something while you're there. I don't know if the extra wires would be a problem, but it can't hurt to check.

Good luck to you!!

Post by Guest » Tue Dec 15, 2009 3:21 am

Thank you for your reply. I think I am going to bring headphones with me. I am hoping that is ok :-( I do not know why I am like this. I did childbirth 2 times with no problems, but I have this fear of being stuck in the chair. This anxiety had gotten me :-(

Thanks again for the reply. I will try to count the ceiling tiles, if they have any :-)

Post by Guest » Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:24 pm

Hi, Erin.
I just had a root canal today actually. Does your dentist's office have a TV in the rooms that you could watch (or listen to)? Or do they play music you could listen to? Or even play little games like concentrating on taking deep, slow breaths, counting in your head, etc. And you can always ask the dentist if you could take little breaks and get up and walk around for a couple minutes. Believe me, I'm quite sure they deal with people all the time who are nervous and have panic attacks. Don't be afraid to tell the dentist about it, and I'm sure he will be happy to oblige you. And if he isn't, find another dentist who will! They want to assure you are happy and comfortable while you are in their office. Not only does it make you happy, it also makes it easier for them to work on you. So don't hesitate to ask them for something to make you more comfortable. I'm sure they'll oblige you. And if you've never had a root canal before, don't worry. I've had quite a few, and they are not bad at all nowadays, o.k.? Hang in there :)
Terri

Post by Guest » Thu Dec 17, 2009 5:36 am

Hi Terry! Thank you so much for your post. You helped a great deal. I have to remember that I am not the only one who has anxiety about the dentist. I don't think everyone likes the dentist :-) I really appreciate your thoughts and kind words! Have a great day!

Post by Guest » Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:40 am

I DID IT! I had my root canal done last week and it was not nearly what I thought it was going to be. I was nervous when I got there, but everything happened so fast, that when I sat down, he started and 25 minutes later, it was done. The experience was not as bad as I thought it was going to be. NO PANIC ATTACK! I worked myself up so much and it turned out to be nothing. I have to get a crown up on, but now that I know what to expect, I am ok with it. Just thought I would share my thoughts! Thank you to the ones that replied back to me. It helped me a great deal.

Take care and HAPPY NEW YEAR

Post by Guest » Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:59 am

Good for you!

You know you are maturing when you do things that you don't really want to do, but know that they are the best for you.

Pats on the back from MN.

Post by Guest » Fri Jan 08, 2010 6:05 am

Thank you newrunner! It does make you feel good when you do something you are dreading to do! I am not going to let this anxiety get me! I have suffered too long! Have a happy new year! Take care and God Bless!

Post by Guest » Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:49 pm

Hey-
I went and got the h1n1 vaccine- with my 4 kids and myself crammed into a tiny room.

I don't hate shots, but I don't really like them and tend to what-if about them.

I rolled up the sleeve, got the poke and went and had an ice cream as a reward.

Post by Guest » Sun Jan 10, 2010 9:49 am

Hi, I had a root canal not too long ago. I had been a really bad phobic and had not been to dentist for 26 years !!! imagine the state of my teeth.
I used hypnosis to help with the phobia and I couldnt believe when I had the root canal, it was no where near as bad as I expected. The dentist I have is really good and he numbed it so well I felt nothing apart from a bit of pushing and pulling which didnt hurt.
If you are afraid of needles you can ask your dentist to use the 'magic cream' to numb your gums before using needle. Dont be embarrassed to ask for it, hey I am 51 years old and I still ask for it !
Dont worry, the apprehension is always worse than the event !!

Return to “General Comments/Inquiries about”