I don't know how to start a journal

Comments and inquiries to share with others. (Questions for Staff can be posted below.)
little italy

Post by little italy » Mon Mar 23, 2009 4:48 am

Hi everyone!

I'm in session 3 now and I still have not started a journal. I have never been good at writing things down. This may sound funny but I don't even know what to write. It just doesn't make sense to me. I keep hearing that it helps to have a journal while going through the program. I feel ashamed to say I don't even know how to keep or even start one. Any suggestions? :?

Post by Guest » Mon Mar 23, 2009 7:40 am

You're not the only person in the world who has trouble beginning a journal. It may feel strange since you mentioned that you aren't one to write things down, but here are some things that you can get started with.

First, purchase a marble notebook or a nice diary type of book.

Then you can start off by simply writing how you feel in the moment.
Are you content? Happy? Sad? Not in the mood to be around people? You can write about the weather and how it's having an affect on you that morning, afternoon, or evening.

Then you can try to pinpoint why you are feeling those emotions.

For example, just last night I wrote about the accomplishments I made this past week in my journal. Before I realized it, I had listed 9 things. (Did something to help a stranger, treated myself to ice cream, gave myself permission to take a break, traveled upstated to see my best friends, got back into a routine at the gym, etc).

You can create a list of the things you love about yourself.

You can begin to create a list of all the blessings you have in your life.

You can free write (ignore spelling, grammar, etc)about your anxiety and/or depression. Vent about how much you detest it, how you don't want it to stop you from things you enjoy doing, how you basically want to kick the crap out of it.

Later on today I am going to work on personifying my anxiety. I am going to give it a name, write a description of what I think he or she looks like, how I feel about him/her, etc. That way - when/if I begin to have an anxiety or panic attack, I will visualize this "person" and tell him/her to go away. To leave me alone because I'm tried of the same routine. Basically speak to it as if it were someone who irriates me or that I do not like.

I hope these ideas help you a little bit. Let me know if you would like more suggestions :)

Post by Guest » Mon Mar 23, 2009 7:58 am

You already have started one and just do not know it yet lol.

Your post is a great place to start.

"I don't know how to start a journal." is the perfect starter for your journal, followed by your actual post.

What a great start for a journal where you are simply expressing your thoughts.

"I'm in session 3 now and I still have not started a journal. I have never been good at writing things down. This may sound funny but I don't even know what to write. It just doesn't make sense to me. I keep hearing that it helps to have a journal while going through the program. I feel ashamed to say I don't even know how to keep or even start one".

Post by Guest » Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:14 am

THANK YOU GOOB & NOT!!!

You 2 are awsome!! :D Both of you replyed to the 2 posts I wrote at almost the same time. It's still going to be a challenge for me but now I THINK i have an idea of how to start. I'll give it my best.

Thank you both for taking the time to reply!! :) I hope to here from you again.

Post by Guest » Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:20 am

One more silly question:

Does keeping a journal really help? If so, how?

hopehound

Post by hopehound » Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:23 am

So who won Goob or Not? :p lol
ANGELS CAN FLY BECAUSE THEY TAKE THEMSELVES LIGHTLY

Post by Guest » Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:28 am

Hey no fair that Goob won I was spell checking (I really was) lol.

Oh yeah it helps and it helps a lot. Just by getting your thoughts, fears, ideas, and inspirations out of your head and onto your paper is very powerful and very healing.
There truly is magic in writing. For example just look at your posts, I'll bet money (well maybe not money because I'm broke lol) but a peanut butter sandwich that you feel so much better after you post? It's the same with journaling, in fact just the other night I had two fantastic songs in my head that I wanted to listen to and I forgot them both. If I had had my journal I could have just jotted them down and I would be listening to them now. Wow, see how that works lol. Now where IS that journal anyway?

Post by Guest » Mon Mar 23, 2009 6:15 pm

well not, you are so right. I do feel better after I post. and as for my journal, It's still at the store. But I think I'm ready to start one. Or at least give it a try.

You have been so helpful. Thank you!!! :)

Post by Guest » Tue Mar 24, 2009 3:26 pm

Hi all,

Just wanted to thank 'little italy' for posting this topic. You have helped me out with an aspect of this program I hadn't really thought about yet.

And thanks to Goober and 'not' for their helpful suggestions.

Post by Guest » Thu Mar 26, 2009 4:50 pm

You are welcome ;)

Return to “General Comments/Inquiries about”