Dealing with Panic Attacks at work

Comments and inquiries to share with others. (Questions for Staff can be posted below.)
Jayhrab

Dealing with Panic Attacks at work

Post by Jayhrab » Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:26 pm

I seem to have my most anxiety and panic attacks at work because I became ill at work a few years ago, and I am anxious of having the illness again. How do I get over this?

David**

Re: Dealing with Panic Attacks at work

Post by David** » Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:06 pm

Jay have you been ill at work since that one time? It's ok everyone gets sick at work at times so we go home, take care of the problem, get well and go back to work again. What it sounds like to me is your dwelling on that one time that you did and so just turn it around to "I'm not going to get sick anytime today while at work". Live one day at a time and don't stress over what tomorrow may bring and as time goes by you'll suddenly think one day, "hey...I haven't had a panic attack for ? I don't remember how long".

If a panic attack does creep in, think to yourself, "Sorry panic attack I don't have time for you today, come back and try again next Tuesday and I'll deal with you then". By next Tuesday you'll have forgotten about it totally. The keys are turn the negatives to a positive thought & live for now not tomorrow. :)

tina martin

Re: Dealing with Panic Attacks at work

Post by tina martin » Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:42 am

This is such excellent advice. Our mind can be retrained and refocussed in what we tell ourself. This is the fantastic plasticity of our brain which the program aims to exercise.

Positive self-talk, praising ourself, liking ourself are, in my view, the foundations for all else that is good and reassuring and calming whether at work or away from work. Takes consistent effort but can and does take hold with practice. Wishing you the best.

Return to “General Comments/Inquiries about”