Safe Person

Comments and inquiries to share with others. (Questions for Staff can be posted below.)
panicfree

Safe Person

Post by panicfree » Sun Oct 02, 2011 7:04 pm

Hello everyone! Recently, my mother has gone to visit her dad who lives out of state for a week because he is not doing well. So it's just me, my dad, and our family pet at home and I'm feeling a bit anxious! My mom has always been my "safe person" and though i have come a loooong way from using her as my "safe person" it makes me anxious that she's almost 2,000 miles away! We've been separated before and I have been fine, but the thought of going through school all this week without her is a little scary. I know I can do it because I have all of the great skills and tapes that the program has to offer. I think that this was one of the final steps I needed before I finish the program. I need to prove to myself that I do not need any "safe person" to be with me! Of course it is my mom and being a teenager she is with me a lot, but it will be good to know that we can be away from each other without panic and anxiety ruling my life. Wish me luck this week!
-PF

perspectivegirl

Re: Safe Person

Post by perspectivegirl » Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:46 am

Hey panicfree, don't forget that you are your own safe person! My mom has been really great to me too, going with me through this condition and being a complete godsend. Although your mom is 2,000 miles away, you can always still call her if you need to. Like you said, you have the tapes. Therefore you have the knowledge to keep yourself cool. You know the skills to keep yourself positive. :]

tina martin

Post by tina martin » Mon Oct 03, 2011 2:04 pm

What you are feeling is understandable, so be kind to yourself and patient with yourself. The program can be helpful with positive self talk. I believe it also recommends exercise and meditation both of which I engage in every day.

Above all, the experience will make you so much stronger, so much more confident in yourself. Wishing you the best.

KAMO

Post by KAMO » Mon Oct 03, 2011 4:16 pm

I'm sorry you're going through this so young, but look at it as a test, because you can't have your mom with you forever and you are your own safe person.

Karmerri

Post by Karmerri » Mon Oct 10, 2011 4:25 pm

I think it is absolutely great that you understand you can't have your mother as a "safe person". I wish that I had worked on that when I was a lot younger. My mom was my rock for many years and now I am 41 but my mom has to take care of my dad now. He had a stroke a year ago, and she is his sole caregiver. Whenever I have a rough day or a problem, I pick up the phone and realize, she has enough on her shoulders. This has been tough for me, but after a year, I am starting to realize, I will be okay through anything, as long as I positive self talk and love myself! You'll do fine. Good luck.

Return to “General Comments/Inquiries about”