Made it to the Store!

Comments and inquiries to share with others. (Questions for Staff can be posted below.)
Rachael9700

Made it to the Store!

Post by Rachael9700 » Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:29 pm

I went to the grocery store, I haven't been in 3 months. I parked really close, I was at an 8, stayed 25 minutes, I left at a 5. I even went to the back of the store. When I came home, no anxiety!. :D

tina martin

Re: Made it to the Store!

Post by tina martin » Sat Apr 16, 2011 11:31 am

Rachel, that is so nice to read. You are making fine headway. In the car, at the store, home to bask in accomplishments.

Can I ask you where you are in the program? What you have found most helpful? How you managed to stick with it? Of course, you need not answer, but it would be interesting and possibly helpful to others. Hope you are having a good Saturday.

Pauly J

Post by Pauly J » Mon Apr 18, 2011 1:10 am

Desensitization is a very great strategy in helping you to overcome agoraphobia! Keep up the good work! Awesome job!

pauly j

Paisleegreen

Post by Paisleegreen » Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:16 am

Good Job! I ditto what Pauly has to say! Keep up the good work! Paislee :mrgreen:

newrunner

Post by newrunner » Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:33 pm

congratulations to you! Enjoy the glow and keep on going.

Flyer99

Post by Flyer99 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 7:19 pm

Wow, many congrats to you. That is awesome! Keep it up..... baby steps! :)

Rachael9700

Post by Rachael9700 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 6:31 pm

Thanks Tina,
I am on session 12. Some days are more difficult than others. Since my post I've gone to the store almost every day. My goal today was to drive the freeway. I made it to the entrance and was at a 9 and I turned around. I had to talk to myself the whole way back. I had a stomach ache for the next hour. It's frustrating, but tomorrow I'm going to try it again.

I started really slow. First day, drove around the block. Second day, drove with my husband a mile in each direction. Third day, went 2 miles in each direction. 4th day went into gas stations, 5th day went into a dollar store. 6th day a grocery store just went into where the carts are. 7th day went into the store, it was so big and overwhelming. 8 th day bought something from the store. 9th day wandered the store, 10th day drove a major highway, 11th day went to an eye dr appointment. 12thday. I was suppose to drive the freeway, I made it to the entrance. I'll try again tomorrow. I was homebound for just 2 weeks after a bad panic attack. Looking back, I wish I would have just bounced back sooner. For now, it's a lot of self talk and some anxiety, I read a book by Byron Katie, and have been listening to the sessions. These have been all helpful. If anyone has any other advice please post.
Thanks.
Rachael :)

tina martin

Post by tina martin » Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:03 pm

Thank you for posting, Rachel. I was worried I had imposed on you. Keeping at it is key, both the program and going out there. The freeway was and remains a problem for me too. I overcame it only when I was forced to drive it every day back and forth to work. When that ended the old anxiety returned. Frankly, I now don't push it. Unless you intend to go on it regularly, the anxiety may be tough (and maybe unnecessary) to overcome. Just my thoughts and experience.

I have found that exercise and meditation have made a big difference for me. It is my thinking that they boost our sense of self, self confidence, self assurance. Calming with meditation is wonderful. You can develop your own mantras, again to boost your feelings about yourself. Three cheers for you. We are so happy for you.

PS. Sure don't mean to dissuade you from trying the freeway. Everyone here who cares too would likely encourage you. I got carried away with my experience which surely may not be yours. Whatever you do we are with you.

Rachael9700

Post by Rachael9700 » Sat Apr 23, 2011 4:12 pm

I went on the freeway, it was early in the morning, it wasn't so bad. The real test would be traffic time,
that is a ways off. I have to go out each day so I don't fall behind. Good luck everyone, getting anxiety free is hard work, keep at it.

tina martin

Post by tina martin » Sat Apr 23, 2011 5:47 pm

Is this the best, or what? I hope to drive to the airport (via the freeway) in June. I'm starting to plan for it now. Have done it before and will do it again. I'll stay in the right lane and tell myself, "Put the radio on and enjoy it."

I love that you say it is hard work. Yes. I wish everyone would read this: there is no free lunch, as the saying goes. But the rewards are well worth it.

Happy Easter.

Return to “General Comments/Inquiries about”