Asthma or anxiety

Comments and inquiries to share with others. (Questions for Staff can be posted below.)
BeeBee0920

Post by BeeBee0920 » Mon Aug 16, 2004 3:49 am

Hello!
I am new here and have been struggling with anxiety for years. I am wondering if anyone here has had symptoms of asthma (including lowered peak flow readings), but have been told it may be the anxiety? Any advice would help me a lot! Thanks!

Post by Guest » Mon Aug 16, 2004 5:17 am

BeeBee,
There are tests your doctors can do to check for asthma. It's probably a good idea to have yourself checked if you think asthma is a possibility. This way you will know whether or not your episodes are from anxiety or asthma.
My brother has asthma and there is a clear difference between the two ( anxiety/asthma).

Post by Guest » Mon Aug 16, 2004 6:29 am

I am having an "exercise challenge" tomorrow, and just thinking about it makes my chest tight! I do have nasal allergies that draion into my throat, but no asthma episodes at rest, so they are checking the exercise bit.

Post by Guest » Mon Aug 16, 2004 7:27 am

Yes, I did this to myself for years. Now when I think back, everytime I would get upset about something, I would get my breathing so out of control that I brought on my asthma attacks. After a trip to the emergency room, where it took hours to get me calmed down did, I realized I was doing this to myself and not even knowing how I did it, stopped. Now I just have to learn to stop sending my anxiety in other directions. If I could do it with asthma, I know I can do it again. Thanks for helping me.

Post by Guest » Wed Aug 18, 2004 2:47 am

I just wanted to say I have asthma and well they could not really tell the difference between the asthma and anxiety. I went for a Pulmonary function test and they decided I did have a mild form of asthma which could be anxiety induced. I have noticed exercise brings mine on too. I still have days I can;t tell if its asthma or anxiety. Not being able to tell just makes me panic even more :( I just try and relax and if it doesn;t ease up I use my inhaler and then usually start to feel better...Sorry I am not much help, I am really sleepy right now...

Post by Guest » Wed Aug 18, 2004 7:52 am

I have had both anxiety and moderately severe asthma for years and I can defintely tell the difference. With anxiety you tend to hold your breath which makes it feel like you can't take a deep breath or you might over breath and feel light headed. With asthma it feels more like you are drowning in your (forgive me for the graphics) mucus and you tend to cough up lots of it. When you are out of breath from asthma the feeling is more like you just ran a marathon and are trying to catch your breath while coughing non-stop. Also, with anxiety when you are not dwelling on it, it tends to go away, where as with asthma, if you are having an attack, it doesn't matter how much you ignore it, it will grab your attention.

Hope this helps!

Peace,
K

Post by Guest » Thu Aug 19, 2004 3:08 am

Thanks for the help! For me, I typically feel like I can't take a deep breath sometimes, which causes me to think I have asthma and panic. I have allergies, which gives me post-nasal drip and mucous problems, but I have never felt like I can't catch my breath or that I can't stop coughing. I did my exercise challenge and although it was hard, they determined that I do not have asthma. Of course, the way I think, I have a hard time believing them. I think it may have been a fluke, maybe I really do have it, just not on that particular day. Ugh!

Post by Guest » Fri Mar 26, 2010 2:48 pm

I recently found out that I am allergic to my cat and dog. I have been almost getting scared to be around them for fear of an asthma attack! I also get scared because of my "what if" thinking. Like "what if" my asthma will get out of control and my inhaler won;t do anything, what if I won;t be able to tell the difference between an asthma attack or a panic attack, what if what if what if... grrrr... If anyone has any advise on how to help me please let me know!

Return to “General Comments/Inquiries about”