Hormones and Anxiety/Depression

Comments and inquiries to share with others. (Questions for Staff can be posted below.)

Post by Guest » Thu Jul 10, 2008 4:08 am

Thank you Unicorn. I appreciate you sharing your experience.

Eileen :)

Post by Guest » Thu Jul 10, 2008 12:14 pm

Love computers, I had a whole post just wiped away.....anyway, there is a great book called "The Wisdom of Menopause" by Christiane Northrup, M.D. What a great read! She explains everything about bio-identical hormones vs. synthetic and creating physical and emotional health during the change. I am only in my late thirties, but reading this book made me actually feel okay about what's to come when I reach my forties. Very reassuring and very helpful, I think some of you would enjoy this. Good Luck.

Post by Guest » Thu Jul 10, 2008 12:17 pm

Oh, by the way, she also covers depression, breast health, acid reflux, bone health, exercise and more.

Post by Guest » Thu Jul 10, 2008 1:06 pm

Thank you very much Karmerri for the resource. It sounds like something that would be good for me to read. I'm going to check into it. Thanks again.

:)

Post by Guest » Sat Jul 12, 2008 11:13 am

Hi, I'm new to this forum, and have never actually participated in anything like this before. I am 49, and have suffered from panic attacks since I was 19. It was pretty much a distant memory (took 300 mg Serzone since Dec '94 until about 18 months ago) until recently when started having attacks again, pretty much out of the blue. The only thing I can think of that must have triggered it is my lack od antideppresant and my fluctuating hormones, and have been told by my MD that I am "perimenopausal." She is not into herbal remedies, so back on the Serzone I go and she is recommending Estrogen gel. I am very confused by the whole hormone issue and am looking for some answers here.

PVF

Post by PVF » Sun Jul 13, 2008 4:39 am

That is my sense for me as well.
I've had a lot of stress, some depression, and and not a panic attack for years - but never anything as intense or "out of the blue" as this.

Given that the waves of anxiety tend to be follow by the hot flash at some point, and then the anxiety abates is a clear indicator for me that hormones are playing a major part here

Another close link to the sex hormones is our adreanals - they mimic a lot of the symptoms - and are often very stressed, anxiety and depression are also symptoms.

From what I've read about bio identicals the right doses can help you feel "normal" again.
I do have a chiro who does herbal, and claims we can rebuild estrogen. I'm all for the natural route but it has been slow. -
I'm taking a saliva test to see where my hormones are ( what's low, needs supplementation) its an important way to go to know where your at.

However, the hormone shift have affected my sleep alot which I believe fuels the anxiety/depression/obsessive thinking pattern I had.

It pulls up whatever is lingering underneath.
From the two cd's so far it seems the techniques will be an asset.

Getting hormones in balance will put me in a great place.

I'd recommend hunting for a naturalpath who has experience with hormones and/or an MD that knows bio identicals -- one caviat - read up on the approach, I'm not a fan of the "Wiley Protocol."

Good luck!

angela chriss

Post by angela chriss » Sun Jul 13, 2008 6:04 am

another wonderful website for us perimenopausal women is <A HREF="http://www.power-surge.com" TARGET=_blank>www.power-surge.com</A>
It deals with the anxiety and depression that we experience...it has been soooo helpful to me. :D
"when u know better, u do better"

Return to “General Comments/Inquiries about”