YOGA

Comments and inquiries to share with others. (Questions for Staff can be posted below.)
blonde bird

Post by blonde bird » Mon Jan 07, 2008 2:19 pm

Has anyone tried using yoga to help anxiety? I am thinking of joining a class. I have tried it a few times and even though it sometimes produces more anxiety I am hoping that over time it may help me learn to relax. Any thoughts?

Graciously Recovering

Post by Graciously Recovering » Mon Jan 07, 2008 3:11 pm

I have tried yoga a little, but had a similar idea to you. I learned a brief TAI CHI routine. Its slow and fluid motions allow you to concentrate on them, not anxious feelings. If I awakened with fear, I would just get up and do the little routine. By focusing on that instead of on uncomfortable feelings, I was able to pass through the moment and get back to sleep. I also felt very empowered over the anxieties because I could do something to quell them....good luck!
Graciously Recovering

Post by Guest » Mon Jan 07, 2008 11:07 pm

I really enjoy yoga :) Definitely try it out!

Post by Guest » Tue Jan 08, 2008 1:58 am

hi i also bought a yoga tape, however, it's still in it's case, unused! one of my goals for the week was to start using it. they clam it's a great stress reducer, so maybe we both need to try it out. what do we have to lose?

Post by Guest » Tue Jan 08, 2008 2:05 am

Hi,

I do like Yoga but I think pilates is a bit more effective if you are looking to get into shape..

Post by Guest » Tue Jan 08, 2008 4:04 am

I have recently started doing a yoga/pilate tape at home and I really enjoy it. It helps me to concentrate on my breathing and being in the moment.It's only about 20 minutes long. I also find that it helps to exercise everyday because I am able to turn my anxious energy outward instead of inward. Good luck

Post by Guest » Tue Jan 08, 2008 4:47 am

I've done a lot of research on yoga and anxiety and talked to therapists and my psychiatrist and it/they all say that it is a wonderful tool for anxiety. All my reading on it says physically what happens to your body when you're doing yoga and then what happens chemically to your brain as a result. Scientifically, speaking.

There was an issue in Oprah last year that talked about it and said it's finally getting some credit well deserved

Post by Guest » Tue Jan 08, 2008 4:50 am

I want to start and have wanted to, and pilates, but I have a two and four year old and no help. Husband's not home and when he gets home, it's dinner (if I can get it done) some playing and wrestling around with the little guys, baths and bed. I think Yoga will be my way out of anxiety.......I hope. Dinner is one of my biggest anxieties of the day and lately it's been to where I can't even make dinner, can't think of what to make, so I just do whatever at the last minute. It's awful.

Post by Guest » Tue Jan 08, 2008 7:01 am

Thank you all for your input. The class starts today, so hopefully I don't lose my motivation. I agree with you Tracy...sometimes the hardest part is finding the time, but we owe it to ourselves. I am hoping it will be a great tool for me to use against anxiety and depression. The only problem is that I find myself having a hard time letting go while I am doing yoga. Its like I am afraid to. I am ok going through the movements, but as soon as we lay still and concentrate on breathing at the end of class I get so restless. I will let you all know how it goes tonight (if I dont chicken out!). Thank you for your support!!!!

Post by Guest » Tue Jan 08, 2008 7:37 am

I saw this post and I simply had to read it, as I am a registered gym rat, and I enjoy participating in group classes like this. I think that they have a Yoga class at my gym, but I'm not sure. As I have been telling some friends and family, I want to get more involved in group classes.

One of my friends is involved in Yoga, and she really enjoys it. It helps her to relax and recharge herself.

Enjoy the class :-). Do let us know how it goes.

Return to “General Comments/Inquiries about”