I did it!

Share your successes with others
jimbobek

Post by jimbobek » Mon May 04, 2009 1:46 pm

I'm in a very competitive grad school. Last fall I canceled presentation of my thesis in front of the whole department because of huge anxiety which stopped me from working on it. Since then I tried to keep anxiety in check, actually over the months did some meaningful work that progressed my dissertation and I just presented today for my department. There was some negative feedback, but also a lot of positive, and I did it! I didn't cancel it out of fear like before! I feel proud of myself, first time in a loooong time.

Post by Guest » Mon May 04, 2009 2:24 pm

Good for you! keep up the great confidence in yourself........ Take care.

Post by Guest » Thu May 07, 2009 7:47 am

Congratulation jimbobek!!!! WAY TOO GO!!!!

Post by Guest » Thu May 07, 2009 8:40 am

Things like that are never as bad as we imagine them to be. Congratulations !

Post by Guest » Thu May 07, 2009 2:50 pm

thanks everyone! I started this program in Feb 2008 and was on and off of it couple times and it definitely contributed to my little success. I started seeing a therapist about 2 months ago and this combined with my raised awareness through this program made me do this - even though I thought I would never be able to!

Post by Guest » Thu May 07, 2009 4:11 pm

That's so awesome! Congratulations!

If you don't mind my asking, do you go to UC Berkeley?

Post by Guest » Thu May 07, 2009 6:40 pm

Yes, I go to Cal

Post by Guest » Fri May 29, 2009 8:02 am

Jim,
Congradulations and its not a little sucess, its a huge sucess. Wonderful job!

Post by Guest » Mon Jun 01, 2009 6:00 am

Congrats jimbobek,

Anytime you feel proud of yourself is a great accomplishment. You are using positive self-talk which is great.

I also had an experience this weekend where I had to stop and rethink to keep from getting negative and depressed.

I have had my belongings in a storage unit for the past 18 months and recently I decided to downsize it since I don't know when I will be getting my own place.

So, I got two girlfriends together and we pulled everything out of the larger unit to be moved to the smaller unit. In the meantime I am waiting for my son and my son-in-law to come with a truck to move the big furniture for me. Well they finally got there two hours later and my son says to me, "You are so unorganized and you always do things at the last minute and want everyone to jump at your wish"

I immediately became defensive, but I took a deep breathe and I remembered what I have been learning and I replied, "I think I am very organized; I have gotten quite a bit accomplished here in very little time. If you just do what I ask we will be out of here in no time."

My old reaction to this situation would have been tears and cursing and screaming and I would not have gotten anything accomplished. I have been thinking about this all weekend. I felt so good that I went for an hour walk in the park last evening.