What haven't I Done in the Name of Anxiety?!

Somtimes it helps just to laugh.

Post by Guest » Sun Jan 16, 2005 6:36 pm

Thanks Diane...yes I am am learning to laugh at my self, and amd thinking about writing a book

Post by Guest » Mon Jan 17, 2005 11:41 am

dear kdford...

LOL...YOU are TOO TOO much! and yes indeed..we are laughing WITH you...

i can share an experience...but in no way shape or form could it touch yours..LOL

when my anxiety really really peaked and i stopped driving (i was in my early 30's and already a mom)...my dad drove me into chicago to see an ears nose and throat doc because i was CONVINCED that i had menierres syndrome (inner ear disorder) that was causing my "dizziness"....the entire way home (btw..the actual visit is an entire new thread..lets just say he told me to come back when i was "more stable") anyway..the whole way home...i had to sit on my hands because i seriously thought that i was going to put my dads car in park as we were whizzing along I-94 at 85 mph......talk about avoidance! sheesh...in retrospect i know what it was.....but at the time....i actually envisioned my dad's transmission laying on the highway and us taking a tow truck home. geez i can still feel my heart racing.....<sigh> what a ninny. LOL :roll:

i put my family through so much at that time...i remember my dad saying...well...the doc thinks it might be her "UNION STATION TUBES" aka...eustacian tubes..LOL.....thank God for unconditional love huh..

Post by Guest » Mon Jan 17, 2005 3:58 pm

Thanks Lucky I try lol

Of all days to be alone I was on sept 11th, I called my cousin heather to come and get me , when she arrived i didn't want to get into the car with her because she might be a terrorist in disguise

I stayed home from school on the day Nostrodamus declared the world would come to an end, my brother was there with me but I panniked so bad he had to take me to my moms work..she got off early that day lol

I almost refused to go to dollywood when I was 11 because I was afraid we would get lost

One time I was swimming in a pool and thought oh no what if I have drowned and didn't know it

I would take baths for about three weeks one time because I was afraid I was in a coma and thought if i took a bath the nurse taking care of me would drown me

oh geez typing all this makes me thank god they never had me committed, they sure had reason enough

Post by Guest » Wed Jan 19, 2005 10:23 pm

when this was first posted I was unable to post and even got a little anxious reading your posts but I think can add a few:
when I was little I was scared to flush the toilet because I thought it would eat me.

I had to rub my eyes before bed to keep them closed so I could sleep and if I opened them I had to rub them again.

for 2 months I was scared to death to take a shower or bath so I would only do it when someone was home and take only 5 minutes and jump out and run to my room.

maybe I'll have more I'm still in the healing process! :)

Post by Guest » Thu Jan 20, 2005 3:03 pm

OH KD, Peaches, Blueyes and the rest of ya's- you are too funny- and believe me I can say that only because I had some of the same ones that you all posted! lol This is a wonderful thread that I am so glad I saw what a humorous side to our fears and frustrations and you know what? Once we actually say them- or write them- it makes them seem a lot less scary....

Well here goes......

When I was 14 I was walking home from school (it was at the end of my street) and a van slowed down- I immediatley freaked out a began sobbing because I was sure I was going to be kidnapped....they were just slowing down to pull into their driveway ( should've known they were my neighbors!)

Anytime I got a scrape or scratch I would immediately ask my parents if I was going to be alright or if I was dying- I still do it to this day sometimes but now I ask my husband too- lol

My older sister came home one day and told me I was going to be an aunt- I immediatly broke into tears and said that i didn't want to be an ant- people will step on me! (Grant it I was about 10 but now I look back and think omg!)

Anthrax- been there-done that-enough said-lol

keep smiling guys!

Post by Guest » Fri Jan 21, 2005 2:50 am

I used to get upset at people sometimes for not thinking the way I do. I actually used to get pissed off and be angry at them for days, even weeks! I'd be rude to them and snap at them whenever they needed something. I know that can't compare to some of the actions and fears posted above but I thought I'd put it in anyway.
Thank all of you guys for sharing your past with us. Its really helped me out alot.
You guys are the best.

Post by Guest » Sun Jan 23, 2005 4:53 pm

I don't have any real funny ones right now but I wanted to tell you how much I laughed when reading your postings (actually, I have had the spider bite fear myself, actually just today. I thought I had some type of exotic bite from a trip I just took to Panama. I kept scracthing it and then I saw another one and was convinced it was spreading :0 ). I know how frightening these things can be at the moment but I think that being able to laugh about them after is really important. The ability to be able to laugh with each other is fantastic. I can't remember who posted this but I remember reading that someone said "if everyone has these syptoms we can't all be dying." It was so funny but true....

Boon

Post by Boon » Tue Jan 25, 2005 5:40 pm

It is so great to hear that I'm not the only one who has these "moments". A few that come to mind right off are:
Not being able to take any capsules because of the cyanide scare.
My skin being red after I took a hot shower and being totally convinced there was something in the water I was allergic to.
Taking abnormal psychology in college and diagnosing myself with everything we studied.
Never being able to take a drink after I would set it down because I didn't know what someone may have put in it.
Getting prescriptions filled and not taking them because of reading the "informative" pamphlet.(good thing I'm basically healthy)
Anyway, I am glad that I can now laugh at myself, and am so happy and grateful to this program.......anxiety free for two years!
"Life is not about comfort. It is about living." Dr. Howard Liebgold

Post by Guest » Sat Feb 12, 2005 8:34 am

You guys are really funny, thanks for making my day!

:)

Post by Guest » Thu Jan 26, 2006 8:20 am

I was just looking back at old posts and this one made me laugh. Here are some of mine:

If someone asks me "How are you?" I immediately freak out thinking they know something that I don't and that I am going to die.

If someone ever says I look tired or pale I immediately think this is the end.

Every time I get the slightest pain I have to tell my husband, just in case something is wrong he'll know what to tell 911. *LOL*

I have to take my temperature before I take a hot bath just in case I have a fever because I don't want my temperature to go up! Then after I get out I'm convinced I've over done it and my temperature is too high or I've raised my blood pressure because my skin is red.

I've diagnosed myself with pretty much everything there is and if I even read about something new I convince myself I have it before I even read the symptoms.

I have a six-month-old little girl and if she cries for what appears to be no reason, I ask my husband if he thinks she might sense that I am going to die. (silly, I know).

I carry a paper bag with me everywhere I go in case I hyperventilate.

For the longest time when I would go to bed I had to make grinding noises with my teeth so I didn't have to notice my heartbeat.

I would have my husband check my pulse to make sure it wasn't too fast.

Not long after my first panic attack for about two months almost everynight I would make my husband take me to the hospital and we would sit in the parking lot and play cards until I felt better. :roll:

When my husband got a job working in the mall I was afraid to stay home by myself so I would sit on a bench outside of his work for 8 hours! (that is probably the dumbest thing I have done)

I used to be afraid to walk up the stairs (and still sometimes am afraid) for fear if I became out of breath I"d never get it back!

If I go to a chinese restaurant I often freak out afterwwards wondering "what if" I am allergic to something there. Same goes for fish or shrimp which I don't normally eat because I don't really like it but if I try it I convince myself I am allergic (although I'm not allergic to anything).

If the weather looks really bad and it's stormy I have been known to go sit in the basement just in case a tornado should drop right on my house.

I'm sure I could do this for hours and hours and hours...but I'll leave it at that for now. :D

Return to “Humor for Anxiety”