You Know You Have Panic Disorder When...

Somtimes it helps just to laugh.
there-is-light

Post by there-is-light » Sun Sep 16, 2007 3:02 pm

How about .... you know you have panic/anxiety disorder, when before a trip you use map quest just to see exactly how far away it is that you will have to travel.

Lena Hourglass

Post by Lena Hourglass » Sun Sep 16, 2007 4:37 pm

My Favorite:
You sit at work and write lists because your anxiety has wreaked havoc on your concentration and you're pretty sure you have ADD now too.
I have shared many of the thoughts as well, but this one still scares me. Brrrr

LynnLuv

Post by LynnLuv » Mon Sep 17, 2007 5:26 am

That is so true, and yet, so hilarious, too. And I truly am NOT making fun of you, either; it just makes perfect anxiety/panic disorder sense! It really does!

I am VERY drug sensitive; and I have a lot of "oppositional responses" to drugs as well. I have definitely, many, many times; gone to the doctor, been given a new medication(s) to try, and NOT taken them at all, because I am afraid of the side-effects it may give me. And also because I don't WANT to wind up back in the ER again!

Lynn Luv

LynnLuv

Post by LynnLuv » Mon Sep 17, 2007 5:49 am

I guess my new, favorite, " I think I'll terrify myself with thought" is believing that I have alzheimer's disease now, because of my concentration/memory problems. Now I do already know that when I am under moderate/severe anxiety, I have always shown that I have trouble with my memory, as well as being able to concentrate. And I know that this is actually pretty much a truism for anybody, including all those peolpe who don't have panic/anxiety attacks/problems.

And then I just tell myself, "well, you are just so much worse than you used to be." And that actually isn't true, because I have been even worse with my panic/anxiety disorder than I am currently am, and I was definitely as bad as I am now.

It is just that "awfulizing, piling-on" anxiety disorder mind-set that I believe we all have, that just continues to roll on, until we start really paying some real attention to what our thoughts truly are, and keeping a "negative thoughts journal", has really begun to help me with mine a lot!

Lynn Luv

AnnetteW

Post by AnnetteW » Mon Sep 17, 2007 1:42 pm

Thank you for the above list.
I must say I do some of those.....
Today matter of a fact, I laughed when the first thing I don't with a Rx that I just got was broke it is half. I am so bad I have a pill cutter and it has to be on the line.
Boy what fun we have.

Today listening to Session 6 group, I laughed with them and suddenly thought, before I just kept thinking why are these folks laughing. I was lost then but think today I was found!
We are funny
Annette

Rene98

Post by Rene98 » Wed Sep 19, 2007 8:29 am

you know you have panic/anxiety disorder, when before a trip you use map quest just to see exactly how far away it is that you will have to travel.
Sad to say but that is so me! I have toknow how far it is from exit to exit!
Love and Light

Rene'

InfernoKiwi

Post by InfernoKiwi » Wed Sep 19, 2007 2:30 pm

oh man, the pills...once I threw up after taking chewable children's Tylenol? I was VERY apprehensive to chewable meds after that. If asked to take one today I'd still be scared out of my wits...but I don't have to anymore cause I can swallow pills! Yay! (Anxiety medicines are really bitter if they dissolve in your mouth. XP)

thinker

Post by thinker » Thu Sep 20, 2007 3:42 pm

OH yeah, If a Xanax dissolves in your mouth it is like someone threw battery acid in your mouth- I try to swallow them as fast as possible, before I start thinking "could someone have put battery acid on this?" HA!

LindsCT

Post by LindsCT » Sun Sep 23, 2007 4:04 pm

Originally posted by thinker:
OH yeah, If a Xanax dissolves in your mouth it is like someone threw battery acid in your mouth- I try to swallow them as fast as possible, before I start thinking "could someone have put battery acid on this?" HA!
So true!! Hahaha. I loved all of these, seriously. I could see at least a little bit of myself in every instance mentioned!
"It's all in the mind, you know." ~George Harrison

Stagerlee

Post by Stagerlee » Tue Sep 25, 2007 2:51 am

We always hear ' the rules'
From the female side.

Now here are the rules from the male side.

These are our rules!
Please note.. these are all numbered '1 '
ON PURPOSE!

1. Men are NOT mind readers.

1. Learn to work the toilet seat.
You're a big girl. If it's up, put it down.
We need it up, you need it down.
You don't hear us complaining about you leaving it down.

1. Sunday sports It's like the full moon
or the changing of the tides.
Let it be.

1. Shopping is NOT a sport.
And no, we are never going to think of it that way.

1. Crying is blackmail.

1. Ask for what you want.
Let us be clear on this one:
Subtle hints do not work!
Strong hints do not work!
Obvious hints do not work!
Just say it!

1. Yes and No are perfectly acceptable answers to almost every question.

1. Come to us with a problem only if you want help solving it. That's what we do.
Sympathy is what your girlfriends are for.

1. Anything we said 6 months ago is inadmissible in an argument.
In fact, all comments become Null and void after 7 Days.

1. If you think you're fat, you probably are
Don't ask us.

1. If something we said can be interpreted two ways and one of the ways makes you sad or angry, we meant the other one

1. You can either ask us to do something
Or tell us how you want it done.
Not both.
If you already know best how to do it, just do it yourself.

1. Whenever possible, Please say whatever you have to say during commercials..

1. Christopher Columbus did NOT need directions and neither do we.

1. ALL men see in only 16 colors, like Windows default settings.
Peach, for example, is a fruit, not A color. Pumpkin is also a fruit. We have no idea what mauve is.

1. If it itches, it will be scratched.
We do that.

1. If we ask what is wrong and you say 'nothing,' We will act like nothing's wrong.
We know you are lying, but it is just not worth the hassle.

1. If you ask a question you don't want an answer to, Expect an answer you don't want to hear.

1. When we have to go somewhere, absolutely anything you wear is fine.. Really .

1. Don't ask us what we're thinking about unless you are prepared to discuss such topics as baseball
or golf.

1. You have enough clothes.

1. You have too many shoes.

1. I am in shape. Round IS a shape!

1. Thank you for reading this.
Yes, I know, I have to sleep on the couch tonight;

But did you know men really don't mind that? It's like camping.

Return to “Humor for Anxiety”