HELP! scary thoughts

Are obsessive scary thoughts ruling your life? Do these thoughts seem beyond your control? Here’s how you can quickly address them and begin to feel better.
Deener

Post by Deener » Thu Mar 19, 2009 1:07 pm

My scary thought is what if I have an allergic reaction to foods, medications, lotions, hair dye etc.. the list seems to get longer at times. I never have to my knowledge, but after I started having panic attacks I became very aware almost overnight of all the things people can be allergic to. I at times even hestitate to use products I have used for years. Can anyone help me out w/ advice.

Post by Guest » Fri Mar 20, 2009 8:15 am

Anxiety is running your life. You need to practice experiencing anxiety so that you no longer fear it. You need to see that anxiety will not hurt you.

If your scare voice tells you not to use a certain lotion, then use it.

Your fear is not the fear of an allergic reaction to anything. It is the fear of anxious feelings. You can let this run your life or you can take control. If you try something and you have an allergic reaction to it then stop taking it or stop doing it. So, no big deal. You'll have to try different things (and feel the anxious feelings while doing it) to decide whether or not it causes allergic reactions.

Use your breath to keep yourself out of your head. Your mind will try to claim you again and again. That's its nature. Just bring yourself back to your breath each and every time and do your best to pay attention to what you are doing in the moment.

Do you have the program and are you working it? Also, to help you with OCD I recommend Freedom from Fear by Dr. Howard Liebgold. He focuses on exposure therapy and how victories are what kill that scare voice.

Post by Guest » Fri Mar 20, 2009 10:57 am

Thank you Boon for your advice. I know all the things you say are true but it just helps to hear someone else say it. I have never had an allergic reaction to anything that I can remember. I do have the program and finished it a year ago and am much better, but still struggle with this one ongoing thought. Thanks again and I will read the book you suggested.

Return to “Session 10 - How to Address Obsessive, Scary Thoughts”