Please help me with obsessive thoughts

Are obsessive scary thoughts ruling your life? Do these thoughts seem beyond your control? Here’s how you can quickly address them and begin to feel better.
FMB100

Please help me with obsessive thoughts

Post by FMB100 » Wed Jan 04, 2012 3:14 pm

I tend to create what my psychologist would call a cause and effect relationship that does not exist. The problem is when I have such thoughts, my pulse and/or my blood pressure will increase and until I can move on, I will have this condition.

A general example may be if I do something but not perfectly, something bad will happen.

Can you please offer suggestions.

Thanks

NeverQuit

Re: Please help me with obsessive thoughts

Post by NeverQuit » Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:38 pm

I have had these types of thoughts, such as "What if I don't check the front door to be sure it's locked and someone comes in and kills my family?" It's funny to me now, but it's not funny at the time.

I think the best thing to do with these obsessions is to face our fears, using positive dialogue and our relaxation techniques to calm ourselves down. Don't avoid the thing that scares you, as much as possible. It all starts with what you're telling yourself. Even if you don't believe it, tell yourself that this is just an irrational obsession and you are NOT going to play anymore. It helps to picture this habit of obsessive thinking as a person who is bullying you, DEMANDING that you come and pay attention to what he is screaming at you, but you need to make the conscious decision to walk away. Do something else productive or something that you enjoy. Distract yourself. Listen to the obsessive thinking lesson with the program.

I'll be praying for you! If you ever need encouragement, just post on this board, everyone is eager to help!

Return to “Session 10 - How to Address Obsessive, Scary Thoughts”