Controlling Scary Thoughts

Are obsessive scary thoughts ruling your life? Do these thoughts seem beyond your control? Here’s how you can quickly address them and begin to feel better.
Dominick

Post by Dominick » Wed Sep 08, 2010 8:42 pm

;) Lately I have been getting this one obseessive thought returning which for me is the fear of death. However, It doesn't really scare me anymore. It's more like a bothersome thought. Nevertheless, it still happens. I've been able to control it and make it go away quickly by telling this thought that you don't have a right to be there in my mind and get out. Also,I allowed myself to experience the anxiety and not try to block it. Both of these methods have worked.

nervousfoot

Post by nervousfoot » Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:33 pm

Dominick, I find going with the thoughts and anxiety beneficial too. I just keep reminding myself that the anxiety causes the thoughts to be bigger that what they really are. I also remind myself that the anxiety is just my body's physical reaction to stress. Floating and acceptance really works and reduces the suffering I use to experience. Good Job Dominick

zenah

Post by zenah » Thu Sep 09, 2010 4:43 am

Thank you both for your posts! I have been suffering with negative scary thoughts mainly of me dying. It used to scare me so bad to the point where I would go into extreme panic and anxiety, which than would bring me so low to the point of me feeling like i was in a fog. I still have the scary negative thoughts and was hoping I could get advice or skills on how to better rid myself of them. I always remind myself of all the positive things in my life.

mjcreate

Post by mjcreate » Thu Sep 09, 2010 6:20 am

good morning, all - ok, i'm doing lesson 7 and lovin' it - i just quit my job (that's a whole other story), have a cronic, shaky voice,(that's my main, obvious problem (public speaking phobia), my beloved son and his wife seem to see me as their "target" of judgmental bitterness, anger, and hate, so i'm not in a comfortable position to see my sweet grand daughters, and in the midst of these issues, (and more!), just like all of you, i'm trying to heal from my anxiety ! ! ! - i'm also reading a great side book, by shad helmstad, (not sure if i've got his name right ?), and boy, this book goes along with this program magnificently! - yesterday the chapter was on "self talk out loud", having a conversation with myself ! - i felt foolish doing it, but i did it, all positive of course, and i started to feel positive about the choices i've made and really good about the past! - this morning i didn't wake up to as much "gloom, darkness, and doom!" - maybe this was my first obvious break throughs, seeing my self esteem and confidence rise a bit ! ? - hope, hope, hope - i still wonder if it's possible for me to be "unchained" from this anxiety/phobia, but oh, what a joyous miracle it would be, to be free from these chains ! ! - the program, exercise, and good eating really help in our healing, don't they ! - have a great, positive day everyone ! - We can do it ! !

Michael

Post by Michael » Fri Sep 10, 2010 3:53 am

Hey MJ,

Keep up the good work. Remember the thoughts of "doom and gloom" are simply cognitive distortions or bad habits. Practice responding to those thoughts in writing with the good reality you are continuing to create. God Bless

Return to “Session 10 - How to Address Obsessive, Scary Thoughts”