Why won't anything help me feel better???

Are obsessive scary thoughts ruling your life? Do these thoughts seem beyond your control? Here’s how you can quickly address them and begin to feel better.
missobsessive

Post by missobsessive » Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:46 am

It's kind of a long story...but basically this last obsession was a REALLY bad one. Really bad. It lasted for a good 4-5 months allll day every day. It really knocked my self esteem/respect down. I've never really had any major problems with that before, but ever since that obsession it really went down hill :(. I've been really depressed to, feeling like my life is going to be stuck in this same place forever. And I used to be able to talk myself through things and listen to other people's thoughts and feel better about things...and basically just have my own back. But now, I feel like people try to cheer me up, and nothing works. I can't cheer myself up either. I just feel like no matter what anyone says, it won't help me to feel better... Any thoughts???

Post by Guest » Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:24 am

Hey Missobsessive,

I can relate. I think it is the frustration of it all you know. Having to re-assure yourself daily that these thoughts are just thoughts, this can take a toll on your patience and outlook on recovery. But I believe it is still far better than the alternative of not doing anything at all. It is very draining analyzing your thoughts daily. But sometimes what really helps is just accepting feelings and thoughts in the first place.

Here is something that helps me out. What you think doesn't really affect what you do, but what you think does affect how you feel.

When I feel depressed it is because I have told myself that I am sick and tired of everything and nothing is working. Whether I believe that or not, I will feel it.

WHen I accept that I don't feel good and I am obsessive and remind myself that I am ok with that, it goes away on it's on. You don't need to stop the obsessing and anxiety, you just simply have to stop feeding it. Don't feed it fear, or doubt, or anger, or frustration.

Accept that you are human, it passes. Kind of like a screaming child that wants candy. If you keep giving it candy it'll keep doing it. But if you stop responding, it will scream more but eventually realize that it does not get to you anymore and it'll stop.

Don't try so hard, let it be. Be mindful. This works for me. Maybe it can help you.

Eddy J

Post by Guest » Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:37 am

Thanks Eddy. I guess I just let myself go so crazy with it, that it gets completely out of control. All I do is feed it. It's so hard not to. At least for me. It makes my feelings feel strange like wrong or something. Like I can't genuinely feel a certain way without it being so influenced by the obsessive thinking. I just wish I felt like my mind belonged to me again and not this ocd. I wish I could feel a certain way because I feel that way. Not because ocd makes me feel one way or another.

I'm going to see a "hypnotist" about all this. My dad found one who works with people with anxiety and obsessive thinking. Her partner/dad works with ppl who want to lose weight or quit smoking. I'm half afraid to say that though because I'm afraid I'll come across someone who did it and says it didn't work or something. Also, I feel like with this last obsession, if the dr is trying to help me change how I think about it, it will be thoughts that I don't really feel. Like I'll be programmed with something that isn't mine. Like it won't be me. Bla. I just feel like such a mess and I'm so beyond sick of it...

Post by Guest » Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:43 am

I guess I'm afraid that if I feel better about stuff, it won't be because I actually grew to see it that way...it will be because the dr told me to see it that way while I was 'under'. (Even if we talk before-hand and come up with new insights, etc.)

Post by Guest » Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:52 am

I believe most of us can relate to that.

Sometimes you are so stuck in thought you don't know what to believe anymore. But just keep it simple and remind yourself that, we just need to make some changes about certain bad habits like obsessing. But everything else is fine. There is nothing wrong with your mental health or imagination and intellect, the only thing that is a problem is the obsessive thinking. So remember you are not completely reprogramming who you are. You are only making minor adjustments to a few bad habits.

Post by Guest » Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:14 am

good advice EddyJ!
you right, when I stopped trying to answer the obsessive thoughts, and realize they will always come and go, my life changed.

Return to “Session 10 - How to Address Obsessive, Scary Thoughts”