Music in My Head is getting old

Are obsessive scary thoughts ruling your life? Do these thoughts seem beyond your control? Here’s how you can quickly address them and begin to feel better.
Believer33

Post by Believer33 » Mon Mar 24, 2008 3:24 am

Hi Guys,
I am new to the forum. I finished Lucinda's program 1 year ago.
I am having a new problem of having songs stuck in my head.
I wake up in the morning that there is it. The song is nothing of significance. Just the last song I heard on TV or in a store. The full song does not play, just snippits of it. Anytime I have down time or are not distracted by something else it is there. Why is this? What do I do to stop this? I want to make sure this is something 'anxiety' related before I choose to just accept it and hope it goes away.
Anyone's help would be so appreciated!
Thanks

Post by Guest » Mon Mar 24, 2008 4:28 am

Hi, Believer33,

Sometimes I find a particular snatch of music running through my head over and over, and for no particular reason. It might be a bit of a piece that I heard many years ago and that for some reason sticks in my memory. Or it might be my favorite bit of a piece I've known and loved since childhood. It might even be a commercial from TV.

I find that this usually runs its course then goes away. Do you think it would help to play something that you enjoy when the "old" music gets bothersome?

purpmartin

Post by Guest » Mon Mar 24, 2008 5:04 am

Boy, I too have had this problem and although it may be better than obsessive scary thoughts, it's still annoying especially when it goes through my head many hrs. and is still going. I sure wish there was an answer too. Well purpmartin maybe when that happens I'll put another song on or something. This morning I woke up with a song, can't remember now I think it was from oldies we've done on karaoke night. I guess that's not so bad cuz it's good memories but then there's a song with a swear word and I don't even know how I got that in my head. Ugh. Well, any other advice would be appreciated by both believer and myself.

Post by Guest » Mon Mar 24, 2008 8:13 am

I know this answer is old, old, old but it is the truth. You allow it to be there. Just let it be. It truly goes away - and almost seems instantly - when you just allow it it be there. Check in with your bodies. You probably are tense when you hear this song (and you want it to go away). Just breathe in and relax your body. Keep busy in the present moment and it will disappear. If it comes back, no problem, just breathe in again and keep your body relaxed and allow the song to come and go. Eventually you will notice that it hasn't been there for a long time.

epa

Post by epa » Mon Mar 24, 2008 8:24 am

I have had this problem many times and like Boon said it is usually when I am having an increase in anxiety or stress. If I let it pass then it will go away but like everything else if I hang onto it and try to analyze myself over and over it will stay for a long time.
ATTITUDE -- The mind is like a parachute...it doesn't work unless it's open!!

Post by Guest » Mon Mar 24, 2008 8:27 am

BOON......THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU
This is what I needed to hear!

cap77

Post by cap77 » Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:08 am

Hi,
Seven years ago I went through some pretty severe traumas, and what's happening to you is what happened to me. I was too introspective, and sure I was going crazy. I finally went to a counselor who said, "You're just comforting yourself with music." Also, any doctor that I ran this by both in and out of the mental health profession said that this was normal. We all really do do it. How many times have you heard someone say, "I just can't get that song out of my head!" You're normal:). You're just being really introspective right now:). Maybe hearing these songs is distracting you from focusing on something painful. That's what I was doing. You've already gotten great advice, but I just wanted to share.

Take Care,
luvpiggy

Return to “Session 10 - How to Address Obsessive, Scary Thoughts”