Help with scary thoughts

Are obsessive scary thoughts ruling your life? Do these thoughts seem beyond your control? Here’s how you can quickly address them and begin to feel better.
theace1987

Post by theace1987 » Sun Nov 30, 2008 12:10 pm

I was diagnosed with anxiety after an event that scared me so much I thought I was going to die. Ever since then I've had scary thoughts that vary between many things. Lately I've been obsessing over the thought "what if I kill someone". This thought is constantly in my mind all day long. I'm scared that I will act on it even though everyone tells me I will not. I'm losing hope and every day is a struggle. I try to focus on other things but cannot and find myself arguing with my thoughts. I feel the need to be away so I will not act on my thoughts or talk myself into them. I'm on the 4th week of the program and it doesn't seem to be helping me. Does anyone have any suggestions.

Post by Guest » Mon Dec 01, 2008 1:22 am

Hi theace,
You have to remember these are just scary thoughts and probably most of us have had them. I know it gets hard when they keep swirling in your head but people are right, you will not act on them. This may sound silly, but one of the things I am doing is wearing a rubber band on my wrist and when any unwanted thoughts creep in, I snap it and say STOP! Then I remind myself these are thoughts only and I can change how I think. My wrist is a little sore from all of the snapping but it seems to jolt me back into reality. Stay with the program because it will help. Give yourself the time you need. I know that is hard because we are sick and tired of living this way, but it didn't happen overnight and it won't leave immediately. Don't give up! We are in this together and people are always here for us! I have seen some positive changes in my thoughts and behaviors and feel I have come a long way even though I have further to go. Take care.

MelMbrsl75

Post by MelMbrsl75 » Mon Dec 01, 2008 6:39 am

First of all you will not act on your thoughts....the idea that they bother you so much is proof of that. Ive struggled with this and it does get much better. I never thought I would get over this and I did and you will too. When the thought comes accept it and dont run from it. Keep doing what you would normally do and let time pass. Accept it, float past it and let time pass. It takes practice but things will get better. If you need someone to talk to send me a message. You will be ok I promise! Also listen to tape 10 it will help a bunch....
Melissa

Courage is being afraid but going on anyhow. ~Dan Rather

Post by Guest » Mon Dec 01, 2008 12:32 pm

I wanted to share this with you =)
Everyone has distressing thoughts.
It is said that most humans have distressing thoughts that can be of a violent and/or sexual nature, but they simply don't seem to make much of an impact. They don't tend to stick in the person's mind, but more importantly, the person can dispel them as being just a thought.

So why does this "normal" thinking process affect people with OCD differently?
It is what you do with the Thoughts/Images which is important and people with OCD who have these types of obsessions can't dispel them as easily. They have a constant feeling of:

"What if I do this?"
"What if these thoughts are for real?"
"What if these thoughts say something about who I am as a person?"

Part of them knows very well this is just a thought, but the OCD part continues with its relentless doubting. So they try to find out the whys of these thoughts or maybe start to hide all the knives in the house.
Soon enough they will realize that reasoning doesn't help and avoiding isn't a real option either. The only relief, although temporary, is found in performing mental and/or physical rituals which will actually reenforce the initial obsession.

Once the obsession occurs, the mind will try and find a solution to these absurd thoughts. The sufferer wants to find an answer as to why they have them and how to prevent having them, thinking that the key is out there somewhere if they just look for it long enough.
But there is no such key. Reasoning with your OCD, finding a logical answer to what is going through your mind is not the solution.

Return to “Session 10 - How to Address Obsessive, Scary Thoughts”