HELP - Is it possible to just STOP breathing, scared to death.

Are obsessive scary thoughts ruling your life? Do these thoughts seem beyond your control? Here’s how you can quickly address them and begin to feel better.
jason_deluxe

Post by jason_deluxe » Mon Dec 11, 2006 10:52 am

I have an obsessive, CONSTANT thought that I will all of the sudden not be able to breathe, get enough oxygen.

This leads to crippling anxiety and constant hyperventilation and eventually a full blown panic attack.

I've been on this cycle for a month I am CONVINCED that I might just stop breathing and die.

Please Help.

Jason

~Michelle~

Post by ~Michelle~ » Mon Dec 11, 2006 11:31 am

Hi JAson
I have the same exact problem !! The breathing Obsession . It is so annoying and does produce temendous amounts of anxiety but just remember its only anxiety and you are not going to stop breathing. It does feel like yoru breathing is going to stop but trust me i have had this obsession on and off for over 10 yrs now. For me , when i get this breathing sensation , its like my whole body gets numb and my lungs feel like they have holes in them and the oxygen is not going anywhere and then here comes the scary thoughts and feelings like im smothering and im going to stop breathing and die.. But its ONLY ANXIETY .. we will NOT stop breathing . Our breathing is automatic example like when we sleep . I know this is a horrible feeling i can totally relate with you. Also when im driving sometimes i get these breathing sensations but its me doing it to myself always thinking about WHAT IF. what if i am driving and i stop breathing I just tell my self Its nothing to worry about and try to use distraction and get focused on something else. Sorry for the long post but i could go on and on on this breathing symptom. Stay positive you can beat this . !!! Take care
Michelle

Shiksa™

Post by Shiksa™ » Mon Dec 11, 2006 11:44 am

Jason,

It is common for people suffering with anxiety to notice their breathing, which may cause them to think or feel they may just stop breathing. Michelle is right. Breathing is automatic. See for yourself. Try to let yourself not breathe. I bet it won't even take a minute before you start gasping for air.

I sometimes get this fear. I had it for a long time. Sometimes I would get the sensation that my throat is closing up and I won't be able to breathe (I actually have this sensation right now).

I hope you're listening to your relaxation tape. Deep breathing is essential. Remember to always let your exhale be longer than your inhalation.

Take care
Shiksa

jason_deluxe

Post by jason_deluxe » Tue Dec 12, 2006 3:08 am

Thank you so much for your responses, it's tremendously comforting to hear that others have the same scary thoughts/feelings as me and that's all it is anxiety.

I can't thank you deeply enough this really helped.

Jason

tatoria

Post by tatoria » Fri Dec 22, 2006 5:46 am

I have had the same thought on and off for sometime know. It will get easier. What has helped me is talking back to the negative thought and just saying out loud SORRY IM NOT INTRESTED!! Of cource i do this in my car driving home or if im in a public place i say it quitly. What also helps me is just feeling it stop running and feel the fear and no that its just the fear of what -if nothing else.

One Day At a Time

Post by One Day At a Time » Thu Jun 05, 2008 10:24 am

I have the same problem, for about 2 years now. Except over the last few months it has consumed me. I believe 90% of my day is taken up by consious breathing. For whatever reason I feel that I just going to stop breathing. Or that my brain will just forget. So I sit there moment to moment making sure I am breathing. It is taking a tool. It is def the worst feeling in the world. Feeling tense, and like you can't get air, or swallow, and I get tingly and feel like I am going to go insane. It is starting to effect my everday and is very difficult to deal with. I am glad to hear that I am not alone, and I am hopeful things will get better.

Ocean

Post by Ocean » Tue Jun 10, 2008 8:05 am

Jason,
Don't worry, the body is a very intelligent creation. Your lungs will keep plugging away whether you tell them to or not. Remember, the body WANTS to live, that is the body's only function. That's why when we get water in our lungs, we cough it up or if we touch something hot, our hand moves away. We don't think about it, it just does it.

Try this, push ALL of the air out of your lungs and try not to breathe. Within a short time, your chest will heave and your lungs will expand and fill with air.

Think of all the people with COPD who have lung damage. They live for years and years with impaired lungs. My mom used to have the same fear as you.

Good luck to you and take care,

Ocean

Boon

Post by Boon » Wed Jun 11, 2008 7:25 am

Jason - Your worst case scenerio is that you will pass out from hyperventilation. If this were to happen then, when you came to, your breathing would be normal. (Personally I do not know anyone that this has happened to but I just wanted you to know the worst that would happen. It's harmless.) You will NEVER stop breathing. Get a small paper bag to help you regulate your breathing. It sometimes helps.

Practice your breath work. Breathe in slowly and hold to the count of 4 and then breathe out slowly. Calm yourself down. You don't have to breathe deeply. That will come later. Just slow your breath down. As you can see, your fear is causing you to hyperventilate. You need to practice as often as you can to breathe from your diaphragm. The only reason you are breathing shallowly is because you are breathing from your lungs and they are full of air. Ocean described the perfect exercise to help you get yourself back on track. Breathe out as far as you can. When you've gone as far as you can breathe out a little more. It will feel like a strain. Then start your diaphragm breathing very slowly. You'll get the hang of it with practice.

Again, practice regularly so your new healthy breathing will become your new habit.
"Life is not about comfort. It is about living." Dr. Howard Liebgold

victorious one

Post by victorious one » Sat Jun 28, 2008 2:00 pm

I had this problem too. Nope, you're gonna be fine, I promise. I struggled with this fear for long time, and it prevented me from doing things I once enjoyed. It took ME a year to overcome it, but that was 4 years ago, and I am completely fine now. You'll eventually get '' bored '' with the fear, and it won't be a problem. THE KEY IS TO KEEP ON DISTRACTING YOURSELF WITH OTHER THINGS.

RoseQ

Post by RoseQ » Wed Aug 20, 2008 7:17 pm

I have this problem too. I had it very badly for a year, and about 3 months ago during a doctor visit, I told my doctor about it. She had me do a breathing test, and wouldn't you know it, I actually WAS having difficulty breathing. Not terribly, but enough that even after the inhaler, I still wasn't breathing to full capacity. So she gave me an RX for a daily inhaler and my goodness I am amazed at the difference.

Still though, when I have anxiety or when I feel sick, I notice my breathing and worry I will become out of breath again.

Return to “Session 10 - How to Address Obsessive, Scary Thoughts”