I need your help, an odd request but a necessary one.

"Combatting Stress & Depression" Program participant's may post support questions here
NinjaFrodo

Post by NinjaFrodo » Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:30 pm

I have been learning some techniques in order to face criticism. If anybody is up for it, I would appreciate it if you could insult me. (yes i said appreciate). Throw whatever you got at me.

Portray any person you don't like on me and say some mean things.

Mike
Here is the link to the Letting Go thread which is designated for venting
http://forum.stresscenter.com/viewtopic ... 52&t=25087

You can follow me on Twitter, same username or check out my blog

http://ninjafrodo.blogspot.com/

Post by Guest » Thu Apr 30, 2009 6:12 pm

Hey NinjaFrodo..As much as I'm sure some of us would like to help you, I think your asking the wrong group of people. Remember most of us are sensitive souls who have a hard time putting other people out. haha :) And as for the little bit I know about you, there is nothing negative to say. So sorry Ninja, can't help you! :p I do wish you the best with this project though!Deanna

Post by Guest » Fri May 01, 2009 2:40 am

You're right, many people here are very sensitive and not many people know alot of my weaknesses.

Ok how about we switch things around...Tell me about some insults you've received but haven't been able to deal with them in an effective way.

Mike

stargazer

Post by stargazer » Fri May 01, 2009 4:50 am

Hey Ninjafrodo,
Would you say this is the same thing as standing up for yourself?? There are certain people in my life that I have a hard time with saying how I feel to them....

Post by Guest » Fri May 01, 2009 4:53 am

You're a bone head.

Mello Nello

Post by Mello Nello » Sat May 02, 2009 2:44 am

yes KarenLeigh This would be used to stand up for yourself in situations where someone is confronting you well that is the original purpose. You could utilize it when confronting others though i would thinking.

Shifrah
Thank you for giving me this practice.

If someone called me a bone head, I don't exactly know why they are calling me this and so I do not know where the problem is. I want to know more in order to diffuse the person's hostility towards me.

So I would respond by saying, what is it about me that makes me a bone head?

I could also respond by saying yes I feel this way at times.

Mike

Post by Guest » Sat May 02, 2009 3:16 am

Ninja I have been called lazy because my anxiety has gotten so bad I can no longer work.

Post by Guest » Sat May 02, 2009 4:27 am

My 8th grade science teacher told us we could call people bone heads because it's true: they have bones in their heads. So by saying that I wasn't intentionally insulting you, lol. So I didn't feel too bad about it.

Good thought response though! :)

Post by Guest » Sun May 03, 2009 9:24 am

jkicker89

I'm sorry about that. It can be difficult to handle situations like that because you are already feeling bad for how we are feeling and to be told something like that just makes it worse.

In a case like that i would say alright, so I give the impression that i'm lazy, is there anything else about me that bothers you?

I would try to get all the facts and see the other person's point of view before commenting on their criticism.

If they call you stupid or worthless then you want to inquire more on this one. Say something like what is it about me that makes me worthless/stupid?

Shifrah
That's cute. I'm glad you brought this up actually. You had called me a bone head and I asked what about me makes me a bone head...you responded (in a nutshell) that it is because i have bones in my head. You also mentioned you weren't intentionally trying to insult me.

In some other cases the comment could have a similar meaning to the one that you gave me but we could assume the person means something completely diffrent. My original assumption was that you were calling me stupid and by inquiring, i came to realize that you were actually not doing that at all.

Mike

Post by Guest » Sun May 03, 2009 9:27 am

jkicker89
If it helps, I cannot work myself because of my episodes of Lethargy that I get from the anxiety & depression.

Return to “Participant Questions & Support”