I'm new again

"Combatting Stress & Depression" Program participant's may post support questions here
poet BTG

Post by poet BTG » Wed Nov 25, 2009 11:53 am

I actually started this program a little over a year ago, then, for whatever reason, I quit - didn't listen to more than the first 3 cd's - I've been telling people it helped but how would I really know? This last year has been tough - some fairly major money problems, my husband and son were working together (very high stress) in the same office I use for my at home business, my mother began having health issues and moved out of her home of 25 years into an apartment, she had back surgery and needed someone with her all the time for a while - that fell mostly to my youngest sister and I. Lots of other things going on as well, then I began having major problems with blood pressure, ended up in the emergency room 2x, spent some time in intensive care and overnight for observation at different times. They never found anything physically wrong but put me on bp meds to protect my heart and blood vessels. Suddenly, yesterday, it dawned on me that I was having anxiety attacks. I got back on this site, looked at other postings, took a test, and confirmed, at least in my mind that it is probably all caused by a general anxiety and panic attacks. I had a Dr appointment today and she agreed I was probably right, we discussed exercise and other things to relieve stress. Hopefully, I will be able to get off the meds entirely before too long. This time I know I will stay with this program and really make it work for me.

Post by Guest » Fri Nov 27, 2009 11:17 am

I just listened to session 1 a 2nd time. As I was listening I remembered, how, as a teenager, I would tell myself stories to go to sleep. The stories I told were actually previews/rehearsals of whatever I had going on the next day. I would go into great detail, saying what I would say, what others would say, where I would go, how I would act, everything would be planned out, sometimes I would have more than one possible scenario. I wonder if anyone else has ever done that or am I the only one?
My change in medication, and I suppose, other positive changes I have been making - exercise, relaxation, etc, are making a difference in how I sleep. I actually put in a pretty good night last night. Was probably a bit more at ease at work today as well.
For those who don't know, I work at home with my computer and phone. I like being able to set my own hours and days off. It is very helpful. Family was in and out though while I was working today & that adds to my anxiety. The computer did not act appropriately either so that added to my stress as well. Mostly it was a pretty good day though.

Post by Guest » Sat Nov 28, 2009 2:09 pm

I woke up in the middle of the night, heart pounding, but this time, since I understood that this had more to do with anxiety than with blood pressure, I took some deep breaths, concentrated on positive thoughts and soon wen t back to sleep. The assignment is to think about what had been going on to cause the attack. I did have some pork sausage yesterday, which I have not eaten any of since starting the elimination diet the Dr put me on in July. Probably more remarkable is that my dh was tired and grouchy last night so there was stress with him and our son who had been hunting with him as well as with me personally.
This morning there was a short argument between the guys. I felt my bp go up, so I checked out and found out it actually hadn't. Just the feeling my body gave me to warn me to relax before it did I guess. I did some exercises then sat down and told the guys what the doctors have been saying about my bp/anxiety connection. DH's response was, "why didn't you tell me?" Good question but now I know I can, not only that, that I have his support when I do. Good feeling. Even our son was very supportive.

Post by Guest » Mon Nov 30, 2009 3:10 pm

I'm tired, my shoulders hurt, had to do financial bookwork this morning, with dh giving input, I think he's got some anxiety going on too. After all, he's trying to secure a job before this one finishes in the spring and our finances are somewhat messed up at the moment. Between the 2 of us, it's kind of a mess but we'll make it - we always have. After 43 years we're still together and every time we work through something it gets better, right? I think so, anyway.

Return to “Participant Questions & Support”