Help!

"Combatting Stress & Depression" Program participant's may post support questions here
daniellefaith

Post by daniellefaith » Thu Jun 19, 2008 3:10 am

I'm sitting here at work and all of a sudden my chest starts to hurt. Then the nervousness starts and I feel like I can't breath. Is this a panic attack? It seems like I feel like this most of the time. I was just sitting here so I don't know what would cause the attack. It makes me think that there is something else wrong with me like heart disease or lung cancer and thats what is making me nervous.

Can anyone help??
Danielle

Post by Guest » Thu Jun 19, 2008 5:03 am

It's a panic attack, Danielle. Right now just say to yourself "It's just anxiety. It's no big deal. I am prone to anxiety and sometimes it just comes out of the blue."

Sensations (any feelings) can cause anxiety as well as our thoughts and our dreams because of our interpretation of them. You've made these feelings wrong, bad or dangerous. That's why your reaction. Start to welcome them in and make them OK to have. We have many different sensations in our bodies daily. They are harmless. Some things like hunger and thirst we need to take care of but most of our sensations we can let pass by.

You can go to a doctor to rule out certain things but it's my educated guess that since you are prone to anxiety and worry that there is nothing wrong with you. Tell yourself this instead of scaring yourself.

Return to “Participant Questions & Support”