traveling..scared

"Combatting Stress & Depression" Program participant's may post support questions here
living_4_the-future

Post by living_4_the-future » Tue Jun 10, 2008 5:58 pm

Ok, my best friend is graduating from the police accadamy. And her boyfriend wants to buy me a plane ticket to surprise here and show up at her graduation. I am afraid of flying and I am afraid to travel. It seems like everytime I make plans to go travel somewhere and i end up canceling when that time comes around to where i was suppose to be somewhere I would be sick anyways and be glad i didnt go. I am scared that if i tell him to go ahead and buy the tickets i will be sick when its time to go, or something else will happen. or i will have anxiety feelings like the "un-real" feeling and it will ruin it. When I feel like i am not really "there" its not alot of fun, i try to ignore it, but it doesnt work. evern when i am not anxious i feel that way. I dont know if i should go or not. What would u guys do? The plane ride is 6 long hours, and did i mention i will be flying all by myself?

cprince

Post by cprince » Wed Jun 11, 2008 12:20 am

bless your heart! i too am flying for the first time. i dont even like to go to the city, 45 minutes away and eat out. i am flying to chicago next week and staying in indiana for a wedding. i have decided to pop an extra xanax if i feel like i need it and pack my realxation cd for the ride. i always seem to have that unreal feeling. 6 hours is a long time. can anyone not go with you? hope you get to go tho cause i am sure your friend would love it. good luck.

living_4_the-future

Post by living_4_the-future » Wed Jun 11, 2008 2:53 pm

i live in indiana, yea i will go to a city that is 45 mins away even 2 hrs away i just dont like to stay there. I am trying to get someone to go with me, but i dont know who can with such short notice. I am starting to freak out about it. I dont take any anti anxiety meds, i used to take klonopan but i dont anymore, i am scared to take that stuff anyways, lol i am just so difficult

cprince

Post by cprince » Fri Jun 27, 2008 4:12 am

well i went to the wedding and i love to fly! i was terrified until we got off the ground and then, wow! hope you did well. let me know.

mrsarr

Post by mrsarr » Tue Jul 15, 2008 4:17 am

I completely understand what you are going thru. I am getting ready for a trip to CT from GA and I will be flying alone. This is not a first trip for me, more like a fiftieth. I have family in CT and a wedding to go to. I keep trying imagery, which doesn't always work or makes anticipatory anxiety worse. Try this...the anxiety you have geared toward the flight try turning it into excitement to see your friend. When you get anxious (or like me panic) psych yourself into making it excitement and stay focused on the itenerary when you get there. Think about all that you may do while you are there. Know I will be doing the same thing. Good luck!

Julene G.

Post by Julene G. » Tue Jul 15, 2008 7:23 pm

Flying is easy, it's driving that terrifies me. More people die in car accidents everyday.Airplane wrecks seem more tragic cuz more people tend to die in one acccident.I used to be afraid of flying, but I'd fly any day rather than ride in a car. Odds are better! Think more rationally! Feel the fear & do it anyway! If you don't you'll miss out on a lot of life. Move forward, it's scarey but it won't kill you. Take a risk & be happy, don't play it safe & never have a life worth living! Harsh but true!! Good Luck! I wish you enough!!!

Julie

Return to “Participant Questions & Support”