Why do I feel I'm only worth $5 an hour?

Are you needlessly dragging around a one-ton bag of guilt and worry? Here are some techniques that help reduce guilt and worry in your life to produce dramatic, immediate changes.
doogiet

Post by doogiet » Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:08 pm

I have an English degree and a Master's Degree in Creative writing. By all accounts, I'm a smart, educated guy. And yet something keeps telling me that I'm only worth $5 an hour. The jobs I've had in my life have been either pretty menial, or paid extremely well (like $250 for forty minutes of work). There's been no middle ground.

I just can't seem to convince myself that I'm worth more than that. I'm a writer by trade, and because I've been writing since I was a kid, I feel like my education hasn't really helped me because it was something I was always good at. I helped lots of friends with writing in school and got nothing for it, and I feel as though I should continue to get nothing for it.

Can anyone help me with this?

Post by Guest » Wed Mar 11, 2009 3:32 am

doogiet

I suspect that because your God given talent for writing enabled you to perform this function with little effort you feel somewhat guilty about getting something for nothing.

In a free enterprise system, our goods or services are worth what others are willing to pay for them, no more, no less. Each of us has some talent that many others do not possess, don't feel guilty about something God gave you.

Would you buy a painting you did not have the talent to produce? You probably have no problem believing the plumber and auto mechanic are worthy of their hire.

I suggest you accept compensation for your labors at fair market price and volunteer some of your time for free where it is warranted. Some of the most satisfying experiences in my life have been doing for others with no compensation but you can't make a living that way. I do believe that we are re-payed in kind for the way we treat others.

I'm sure your education has refined your talent somewhat and you did not get all that you have for free!

Best Wishes

Post by Guest » Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:31 am

I can relate to this so what. I'm currently in a similar situation with my life. I have degree in computing and a postgraduate in graphics. I used to work at studio, it was good money, but I didn't always feel comfortable there. When My contract ended I was relieved, and started working a minal job. Part of me wants to leave the other part is happy to be somewhere where people have lower expectations of me. I feel less presure. I don't think this is particularly healthy though. I want to earn more again.

Sometimes being paid for something we love doing adds sense of pressure and stress to the process. Society doesn't value artisans as much as it used to, and I guess people can look at some trades like a 'hobby'. But it takes years of practice to get good enough to be a profession artist of writer. I think we have to tell ourselves daily that we have a right to earn as much as other highly educated professionals

Post by Guest » Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:59 am

Session 12 is so very powerful about this subject.

You are finding something positive about settling for $5 an hour. Maybe you don't have to assert yourself or do something to get more than that - you know and I know you are worth much more than $5 an hour, you just have to push through that door of "comfort" and get it. Yes, it's going to require you to be a little assertive and once you get over that you'll be able to earn what you are worth.

It took a litte bit of assertiveness to charge for my chef services and I felt guilty at first, but when my DH pointed out how much she makes an hour it made me feel so much better.

Return to “Session 9 - Get Off the Guilt & Worry Treadmill”