Guilt about having a drink?!

Are you needlessly dragging around a one-ton bag of guilt and worry? Here are some techniques that help reduce guilt and worry in your life to produce dramatic, immediate changes.
It'stimetolivefree

Post by It'stimetolivefree » Mon May 05, 2008 1:53 pm

I am not sure if this is guilt because I want to enjoy or if it is worry that if I do it I will go backwards. I am not a drinker at all but I am the guy who would enjoy a beer every now and then while I am golfing or at a BBQ. But I feel so scared to have one for some reason it is like I will be bad or something I can't quite figure it out. ITS LIKE I THINK I CAN'T HAVE ONE OR TWO BECAUSE I HAVE ANXIETY. During the week of health it says to stop drinking but I feel as if that is for people who abuse this. Granted I have had drank too much at times in college and just after but I am over that. That could have been where all this anxiety started I guess I am just looking for peoole to say go ahead man have a drink or two and leave it at that and enjoy your time! Someone respond!!!

Post by Guest » Mon May 05, 2008 2:17 pm

Hello,

I think it perfectly fine for you to have a drink. As long as you are able to drink responsibly. Don't beat yourself up about this. Go have a good time :)

Debbie

Post by Guest » Mon May 05, 2008 3:27 pm

Yes, I feel that way too!! I am glad that you posted this!! I don't know why that I feel Guilty about drinking, when I don't ABUSE it!

Of course, we all went through the whole college thing--DO NOT feel guilty, it's alomost EXPECTED that we experiment.. LOL :)

By any chance, do you have an alcoholic in your family?? My dad was a functional alcoholic- not abusive, violent, etc.,(he is one of my best friends to this day) but he did drink to get through the day... Maybe, Subconsciously,I feel guilt?? Not sure..
But anyways, It's OK (by middle-class standards) to enjoy a glass of wine or a few beers-- Just as long as it isn't a way to escape your problems..:)

But, like you, I don't know why i feel guilty about it either.. I guess we are in the same boat!!

Post by Guest » Mon May 05, 2008 4:26 pm

I'm glad you posted this too! I have one drink when i get off work. Sometimes two :). I then go home,have dinner, and another drink. I have cut back from every day to four times per week. If I have week-end plans I will cut out two week days. It is nothing to feel guilty about. Louie Angelone

Post by Guest » Mon May 05, 2008 6:36 pm

Hi everyone!
I totally agree with all of you! I really just want to have a beer now and then. I have never had a problem with drinking and not being able to control it but it's like I "shouldn't" drink cause of the anxiety or because I take medication. I just want to live! I'm not abusing alcohol, I just drink cause I like it now and then. I realize I can let go a bit and just truly ENJOY it when I have a beer with friends and family. I really want to learn to let go and allow myself to just be.
Thanks everyone.

M

Post by Guest » Fri Dec 12, 2008 9:04 am

My boyfriend drink every night and feels no guilt at all. It doesn't interfere with his life in any way. I, however, have 3 beers, and feel like I've just killed someone. I don't understand this, either.

Post by Guest » Tue Aug 18, 2009 3:32 pm

I had some serious guilt about drinking, because I used to self medicate with alcohol a little bit. I ignored my anxiety because as long as i could have my wine at night i was ok. Since i have been working on this stuff, i completely cut out the alcohol for a couple of months, and have been slowly introducing it back but making a big effort to keep it in moderation. Also, with working out and weight management alcohol is detrimental. I have found however that the less frequently i drink, the more i enjoy it when i do.

Post by Guest » Sun Sep 20, 2009 6:29 pm

HI,MY NAME IS STEPHANIE YOU SELF MEDICATE WITH ALOCHEL THAT IS NOT GOOD AT ALL NOT GOOD WHAT IS WORNG WITH YOU LIFE THAT YOU WOULD SELF MEDICATE WITH ALCOHEL DO YOU HAVE A THING TO LIVE FOR AT ALL ,I USE ALCOHEL BEFORE B UT NOT NOW NOT ANY MORE.

STEPHANIE

Return to “Session 9 - Get Off the Guilt & Worry Treadmill”