Can't stop worrying......

Are you needlessly dragging around a one-ton bag of guilt and worry? Here are some techniques that help reduce guilt and worry in your life to produce dramatic, immediate changes.
Mark55

Post by Mark55 » Thu Jun 19, 2008 7:54 am

It's kinda hard to explain but, worrying has been in my life for the past four years and I just can't stop. I start with one thing then I forget about it. Then I start worrying about another thing and it keeps going on and on. How do I stop this? I try to focus on other things but it always seems to visit me then becomes sticky and I can't shake it. Please Help...
What's life without action?

JackieBlue

Post by JackieBlue » Thu Jun 19, 2008 8:27 am

Hi Mark,

Do you have a hobbie that you can turn to? I like to sketch. So, when I find that I need a distraction--that helps.

Feel better.

epa

Post by epa » Thu Jun 19, 2008 8:54 am

Hey Mark! I tell myself STOP! there just thoughts only thoughts, Just like the guy has said on the tapes, more than likely your worrying about things is not going to make the event come true. I also bought myself a weight bench and a punching bag, so I distract myself with that and it does feel better once I'm done, HITTING THE BAG!! Remember we can't worry about the future, it hasn't even happened yet. Plan for it but do not worry. THat's what I do. Find something for yourself to keep yourself in a more positive note, Distract, Distract, Distract.!!
ATTITUDE -- The mind is like a parachute...it doesn't work unless it's open!!

Post by Guest » Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:10 am

I have the same problem too. Distraction worked for a while. I always wonder if I'm distracting am I actually dealing with the problem? I haven't had full-blown anxiety in over a year but it's becoming more frequent now. It's hard not to worry. I have some other medical issues going on and my mom passed away in January that I'm sure it's due to. I did half of the program a long time ago then stopped but I'm going to resume it again. The program is priceless. I wish everyone the best.

Post by Guest » Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:47 am

Hey Mark,

This is kind of funny story but it did work, I was talking to my doctor about this very thing, and he said you have to distract yourself when you get these thoughts, so I told him I try and sometimes it dosent work, so he told me to put a rubber band around my wrist and dont take it off, he said every time you get a thought in your head that is negitive he wanted me to snap the rubber band hard, and I have to tell you it hurts. But you what it took my mind off of the thought.
It was funny explaining to people why I was always snaping this rubber band all the time. lolo

Good luck,
Debbie

Post by Guest » Thu Jun 19, 2008 10:02 am

Mark - There is a great exercise that really puts worry into perspective. It's called Designated Worry Time. You pick a time of day that works for you and you set it aside to worry, worry, worry for about 20 - 45 minutes. You do this on paper and you do it daily until you become bored with your worry. When you do this you do not try to fix anything. You make things as awful as your mind dreams up. Don't solve anything. When worry time is up and you start to worry again, just tell yourself that "it's OK to worry. Everyone worries from time to time, but I'll have to wait until my next designated worry time the next day." If once a day is not enough for you, you can create two designated worry times in each day.

Say to your worry voice:

Not today. Come back tomorrow. (use this everytime you need to and everyday)

It's OK to worry but you'll have to wait until my next DWT.

Don't fight the urge to worry. (It's just a bad habit.) Just post pone worry. Eventually you'll break the habit and not have to do this exercise anymore. You'll have learned to dismiss this voice very easily.

YOu will know when it is no longer necessary to continue this exercise.

Return to “Session 9 - Get Off the Guilt & Worry Treadmill”