Thinking about, "I'm sorry."

Are you needlessly dragging around a one-ton bag of guilt and worry? Here are some techniques that help reduce guilt and worry in your life to produce dramatic, immediate changes.
CarolynEd.Dir.

Post by CarolynEd.Dir. » Tue Feb 26, 2008 5:42 am

"I'm Sorry," isn't a discussion.

Don't you just hate it when someone says, "I'm sorry, BUT..." or "I'm sorry-I was just trying to..." :) "I'm sorry is not a discussion." It's a statement. It is meant to be a simple message of: "I see that this did not go well- I hurt you- I'm sorry."

I have committed many "sorry discussions." Not too long ago I deeply disappointed a friend. I didn't show up for an occasion that meant a great deal to her. I called after the event and told the truth. "I'm sory- BUT I was exhausted." Is it going to matter that I was exhausted? In my perfect world she would have reassured me that being exhausted is serious and needs to be addressed. But- we don't live in my perfect world and she was left with the message that my exhuaustion was more important than her 40th wedding anniversary. What if I had just said, "I'm terribly sorry." What if I had just apologized? She would still have been dissappointed but she would not have gotten the message that my needs were more important than her's.

People who are ultra-sensitive take offense easily and want everyone to see the world in the same way they do. They want everyone to be happy with them every minute, every hour... I wanted her to know I understood that I'd disappointed her - For a Good Reason. :) I wanted her to feel my exhaustion. I wanted her to say, "Oh, that's ok, no big deal," just like I would have done.

Interesting--I would have stuffed the disappointment. I would have Lied and said it didn't matter. She didn't. She was real. I would have been a fake.

I'm not sure there is an answer to all of this...but there certainly are a number of ways to look at it...

What do you think? Carolyn

Post by Guest » Tue Feb 26, 2008 6:00 am

Carolyn,
Good point! When my anxiety used to be so bad, there were so many activities i wouldnt do. When invited, i would say YES! knowing at the time i wasnt going to go. But didnt know how to tell the person, Hey, Im a shaky, fearful, panic stricken freak, who wont come!
And they always called the next day to ask "WHY" i didnt come.
Your right, its much easier to say Im sorry! maybe next time. and leave it at that. But i would of course lie, make up some stupid excuse why! i couldnt be there.
I suppose the first time during that time, i actually just flat told the truth, was when my mother who was 200 miles from me was in the hospital and i go a call at 2:00am in the morning she was dying. My sister told me i needed to come! This was the point i realized, my anxiety had to come to an end, i had to something! Because i told her NO! I wouldnt come! I couldnt deal with it!
I know that sounds cruel, yet that was for once in 30yrs the truth. I dont even think i said im sorry!
We did go the next day, but the night she died, after the phone call, i prayed that God and her would forgive me.
We all i guess need to understand, myself included, that we dont have to make excuses, if someone is going to be hurt, they will be hurt regardless how viable your reason is. Im now trying to remember to say, Forgive me, instead of Im Sorry!

Post by Guest » Tue Feb 26, 2008 6:21 am

Carolyn,

That is a good thought to ponder. I find myself making excuses as to why I could not do this or that when all I really need to say is "I am sorry" That way I am not saying my needs are more important than theirs. Thank you for bringing this up. It is worth really thinking about.

Post by Guest » Fri Feb 29, 2008 1:26 pm

When I don't make it to a gathering and I have to tell someone why I didn't get there, they never get angry at me, we always start talking about how they wished I were there and what happened at the gathering. My friends and family never get upset when I tell them that I couldn't come because I was tired. They seem to understand.

Post by Guest » Tue Mar 04, 2008 5:54 am

I learned a big lesson a few years ago I'd like to share.

A group of my friends from school were all going to Galveston for a weekend to attend a (teacher's) professional development opportunity at the Moody Gardens. We all wanted to go, so we decided to share a hotel room and go to the beach after the activity for the day. I was going to take my fiance since this would be a good vacation opportunity for him, too, so our plans were set. The day before we were supposed to drive down there, the friend who put her credit card down to reserve the hotel room called me and said my fiance and I should get our own room. My other friend (who was friends with us both and also planned to go) said she was told it was because she didn't like my fiance. When I talked to her directly, I confronted her and she refused to take responsibility for what she said or for her feelings. I said, "whatever" and decided to eat the cost of another room myself and let it go. My fiance, however, is not accustomed to that kind of treatment like I am and he was angry because he'd never been anything but nice to her. He decided to call her and as soon as he did, she started crying. They continued to have a fight and I was in the living room on the verge of a panic attack (confrontations are my #1 limitation). Anyway, it didn't end well and I had to see her at school the next day.

The next day she ignored me like a 3 year old would (turned her back to me and snubbed up her nose - refused to turn her head in my direction when the teacher walked to that side of the room). She even pushed her books away from me (as it I would hurt their feelings, too). I kept thinking how sorry and uncomfortable I was. I felt bad for about an hour before I realized how immature she was acting. Whenever she snubbed her nose, I had to suppress the laughter!

After class, it was time for our confrontation. Fortunately, I was too amused to be very upset. She pouted and cried and said how hurt she was, but I remembered she was the one who messed up. She lied to me and screwed me over (to the tune of $75 the DAY BEFORE the trip!) and I was sorry? No way! I decided not to apologize for what Josh said to her. All I said was, "I'm sorry you're upset." We got through the confrontation and luckily I didn't have to see her much during the trip.

Overall, I felt proud of myself for not caving. I am an "I'm sorry" person. I even feel like saying it out of nowhere for no reason. I feel I have to be sorry for something, but I don't! I was sorry (only a little) that she was upset, but I NEVER ONCE apologized for my or my fiance's actions. We were in the right and I knew it.

The moral of the story is: you don't have to apologize. Not even if you think you should. Just say, "I couldn't make it because I was too tired." You could even just say, "I couldn't make it." EXCUSES ARE UNNECESSARY! APOLOGIES ARE (mostly) UNNECESSARY! Put yourself first! Not them! You are important, too!

Post by Guest » Mon Mar 10, 2008 1:05 pm

Lately I've been working on the "im sorry for everthing" attitude too. I've had the good fortune to have a lot of friends and family care about me deeply but with that also comes thier conserne and advice. Over the past few years it seems like everybody wanted to share thier miricle cure for my life with me over and over again. Theyd say things like, if you only made more money, if you were only married, if you only went out more, if you only got more exersise, if you only took these pills and on and on. I was completely exausted with haveing to constantly listen to thier advice for fear of hurting thier feelings. They couldnt understand that no matter what I tried it still wasnt fixing the underlined problem...I didnt like myself. After I started the program they kept going on and on about how it will never work becouse if this or that but I could see the improvement in my life. Now instead of saying "im sorry I dont agree with you" I say "how dare you try to tear me down when I'm makeing progress, you have offended me and this conversation is over". Instead of being overwelmed with shame and guilt like I thought I would be, I felt like I could respect myself for standing up for myself...like somebody I could learn to like, maybe evan love someday. And I'm not one bit sorry for it :)

Post by Guest » Mon Mar 24, 2008 3:35 pm

[QUOTE]Originally posted by CarolynEd.Dir.:

I'm sorry But...
People who are ultra-sensitive take offense easily and want everyone to see the world in the same way they do. They want everyone to be happy with them... I wanted her to know... I'd disappointed her - For a Good Reason. -I wanted her to feel my exhaustion. I wanted her to say, "Oh, that's ok, no big deal," just like I would have done...I would have stuffed the disappointment. I would have Lied and said it didn't matter....

Carolyn, I've thought of this before but never with this new knowledge.
In fact, when I signed my name to an Easter card that I sent to an elderly woman I apologized and started to EXPLAIN why I hadn't called her for a lunch date - then I stopped my pen - realizing it was stupid to give the reasons - I wrote in parenthesis: "oh, you don't want to hear this." Actually I wish I had stopped before I started --lol

Post by Guest » Tue Mar 25, 2008 6:34 am

Hi,

This is a very interesting point of view. Right now, I'm really exploring my honesty and my motivations for when and why I choose to help others, go to events of friends, etc. I've just gotten out of a friendship that ended when I realized that the person had some wrong motives for helping me and my child with autism, and it had a very serious impact. I've been very inspired by books written by Henry Cloud. In his book, "Boundaries", he points out how Jesus' teachings include "let your 'yes' be 'yes', and your 'no' be 'no.'" To me, this means that it is best not to go to an event or give to a friend unless we truly want to out of love, and to never do so out of guilt. If we are honest about our motivations, we may find that we don't give as much, etc., and then we have to examine ourselves and see if that's a problem, but giving for the wrong motivations is usually not a good option. I know that we're never all going to be perfect, but it's just a goal to move in the right direction of honesty and authenticity. If we never give to anyone anymore because we aren't motivated for the right reasons then that's a big lesson, but it's the truth. If we were giving to make it "look" like we are a wonderful giving person, and not out of love, then dealing with the painful truth will help in the long run.

I guess I wouldn't go so far as to say "I'm sorry is NEVER a discussion." Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but I think you are saying that you shouldn't have to say more if you are truly sorry to begin with. I think that what you are saying is that to add more to the "discussion" would mean that you aren't truly sorry and believe that your friend is entitled to forgive you because of your excuse. That would mean that you really aren't sorry. I guess that could be what you are saying:).

I'll just add that for me personally, if the person is truly sorry and doesn't automatically expect for me to understand, it could help me to understand why my friend didn't show up to a special event even if it was for a selfish reason. I mean if it is for what I perceive as a selfish reason, it will just be one more lesson in life that we are all flawed human beings who don't always do the right thing, and we can't put even our closest friends up on pedestals. I don't think we can make an assumption that the other person doesn't want to hear why because it just depends on the person. The reason may or may not be something that I agree with as being a legitimate excuse, but the person giving me the reason isn't responsible for that. They are just responsible for being honest. Sometimes, hearing the reason can actually ease some hurt for the person who was "stood up." I mean if someone did something that hurt me, sincerely apologized, and gave an explanation as part of their "confession" this could possibly ease the hurt because I would know it wasn't about me. On the flip side, I couldn't be there for the friend I mentioned earlier when she moved because my son's life was in danger. It was legitimate in my eyes, but not in hers. From both of us being honest, we were able to see the true nature of the friendship, and she was able to see that there were circumstances when I wasn't going to choose her over my needs or especially, those of my son. I didn't feel guilty. She felt entitled. I think this honesty helped both of us in the long run even though we chose not to be friends anymore. I don't want to be best friends with someone who doesn't understand my priorities of raising a child with an incurable brain disorder, and she will be better off choosing friends with different life circumstances. She obviously feels that she has needs that I couldn't meet, and she is free to move on to someone she feels can meet those needs.

I guess in your eyes you did choose your needs over your friend's need. I, as a fellow human being can't really judge you for that because it really is in the "eye of the beholder". I have a child with autism, and lack of sleep is a serious situation for me and my husband. New studies are coming out that show how important sleep actually is, especially for psychological functioning. In my family, we've all had years of long-term sleep deprivation, and the things we've tried aren't working, and it does matter and effect us. I joke that we often feel like specimens in a mad scientist's experiment:). Most of the time, most people just don't understand or see it as legitimate. I know what my life was life when I chose or couldn't sleep for some other reason before my son, and it is definitely very different, and most people aren't ever going to take that into account when they interact with me, except for those who are going through it. As a friend, I would definitely care if you were exhausted because I know that I have to miss things a lot out of exhaustion. I don't want you to come if you don't want to. Maybe if it's an emergency life or death situation when I needed you, I wouldn't care about your motivations as much, but for an anniversary party, I don't want you to come if you don't want to. Friendship is a gift, not an obligation. I have that point of view, but someone else may not. Not saying that you didn't go because you chose your needs over your friends doesn't mean that you didn't make that choice. As long as when you say it and give the reason you don't automatically expect that she will understand, or she is entitled to forgive you or not feel bad then I don't think there is a problem with adding that as part of the apology. It's just about honesty.

Take care,
luvpiggy

Post by Guest » Tue Mar 25, 2008 7:27 pm

I woudnt have shared the room with you ither.She didnt want to share a room with him sowhat.He should have been a man and let it go.She didnt want that guy in her room all weekend .Hes not her fiance. sorry

Craw

Post by Craw » Sat Mar 29, 2008 5:40 am

Firebug- I can relate to your story a lot. I had a friend who always thought he knew what was best for me and what I "should" be doing with my life. Would even call me late at night to tell me things he had thought of for me to do. At first I found myself explaining my life away to him -"Well, I do this because.........." Until I realized Hey- I don't have to explain my life to him! Finally one day I just said "My life is fine just the way it is and if I need to change something in it I will figure out how to do it, thank you."
Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought.
~John F. Kennedy

Return to “Session 9 - Get Off the Guilt & Worry Treadmill”