How would you feel/What would you do?

The spiritual response to anxiety and depression
RCA

Post by RCA » Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:01 am

For the past 4 months I have been singing on a Praise Team at church on Wed. nights. We would practice about 30 min. before we preformed. I'd be there way before the rest and go over the music. Our music folders were always left on the piano for us to look at before practice. Just before Christmas one of the singers got very sick(heart problems) and could not preform again. I would still go by to get my music to practice. Soon the music was not on the piano and I would hunt all over the church for our leader to ask if we were singing. He always said not tonight. Last week he called me and said we would not be having a praise team for a while because he thought we needed to revamp. He even asked me did I know anyone who could help US out. I said I did not know of anyone.He named several people who do NOT sing in our choir and NEVER attend Wednesday night services.Yesterday when I went to Wed. night services I heard all this music and singing in the sanutary. He had an ALL NEW praise team singing.I was shocked, hurt and felt humiliated.All I wanted to do was hide under the pews,cry and go home. I tried to stay but I was so upset I did not want to have a complete break down in church. Before I left I had Several people come up to me and ask me why I was not singing. I never gave them an answer because I did not know the answer.I have always had a low self esteem, problems with anxiety and depression.I always felt that I may not be able to do a lot of things but I could sing. When I was asked to be on the Praise Team I really began to feel good about myself. Right now I feel like I have been slapped in the face. How would you feel/what would you do?

Post by Guest » Thu Feb 18, 2010 4:08 am

Hi RCA :) :) :),
I think that your reaction is sooooo normal!!! After all, your heart was into the Wednesday night "praise service" and you were a singer in the choir!!!

I would feel very betrayed, if I was treated in this manner!!!

I know it will probably be very difficult for you to do, but I would pray for this church leader, that the Good Lord would convict his heart, and show him where he has wronged you!!!

I have prayed soooo many times for others, who have hurt me, and God has intervened on my behalf soooo many times!!!

I do not think you have any control over what is going on here, so I would upload this one onto God's strong shoulders!!!

Let HIM fight this battle for you!!! Ask HIM to heal the hurt and pain, which you are suffering from!!!

I will say a prayer for you!!! May God Bless You Tremendously is My Prayer for you today and always!!!

Post by Guest » Fri Feb 19, 2010 8:44 am

RCA

I think..no I know I would be hurt too. But I have learned over the years in ministry and working with people from so many different churches that there is so very often a LOT of miscommunication. Please call or email this Pastor and the person leading worship and let them know what happened and maybe ask if you can join this new group? Never Assume! As hard as it might be. The old Father of lies would love nothing more than for you to give up and run and hide and miss out on a chance to be a blessing and to be blessed with song. I will pray the Lord give you the Right words to say and the courage to ask. But please I ask you not let your imagination carry you off towards more hurt.Okay? Ask seek and knock , if you will, and I pray you get the answers you need :D
take care,
Jill~
:)

Post by Guest » Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:07 pm

Understandably you are feeling this way, who wouldn't! :(

I agree you should call the worship minister to see if things were miscommunicated. If for any reason he didn't want you on the team he needs to be able to tell you this, and the exact reason.

My DH headed a worship team and he hated this part of it, but he had to do it. It's not fun for all involved.

You will be okay! I'm sure of it. :)

Post by Guest » Sun Feb 21, 2010 3:22 pm

Thank you Ms.T Bones, jillzmind, and Shifrah for you advice,words of encouragement, and prayers. I have not talked to my "praise team leader/choir director" yet although I saw him at church and choir reheresal today. It was extremely hard to be at church today. I still wanted to cry and run and hide. It sure is hard to sing with a lump in your throat. He did asked me to do a two line solo in two weeks,but I do not want to.I honestly feel that he did it to try and make me "feel better".I want to do a solo because he thinks I "sing well" not because he wants to make me "feel better". Also, there is something else that bothers me. We have a girl that "very seldom" comes to choir, so several of our choir members told him(our choir director)she'd come if she was given a solo. So she'll stop coming for a while come back and immediately be given a solo. This has happened 3 times in the last three months. Is it me or is their something wrong with this picture? Right now I ask you to pray for me that God will "change my heart" about this whole situation. I DO NOT like feeling like this.

Post by Guest » Sun Feb 21, 2010 4:47 pm

Hello RCA
I will continue to pray for you over this. I really encourage you to talk to the worship leader too. Even if it's an email. You will feel better about things and wont be guessing with alot of maybe's and so on.
I will be praying for you about that solo as well. They wouldn't ask you if they didn't believe in you I am sure of that.Let the Lord speak thru you and to you in the song and I am sure it will be great. What song is it that you have a solo in?
Anyway hang in there and know you can do it! And God is still working all things out for his good and ours.
hugs
Jill~

Post by Guest » Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:53 pm

After much prayer I decided that even though my feelings were hurt, I am going to continue singing in the choir. I truly love to sing, but maybe I was doing it for the wrong reasons. In stead of singing to give "God the Glory" I was singing to give "Myself the Glory". This was a lesson God Needed to teach me. I never talked to my choir director/praise team leader or anyone else at my church about how I felt about what had happened. I hate confrontation. About two weeks ago he(our leader) asked me to sing a part in a song. I said I would but was reluctant. He called me last week to sing with the "Praise Team" but I had a bad sore throat and came home from work and went straight to bed. He called again last night and asked again. I said I would. I got off the phone and begain asking myself: Did he really want me to sing? Was I being asked because he really wanted me to or because he knew he hurt my feeling and wanted to make ammends? Then I remember what my daughter said,"You are singing for God and to God and no one else". So I quit asking the questions. I am moving on and leaving the past in the past.Thanks for all your prayers!!

Post by Guest » Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:14 am

Hi RCA,

Glad to see that you have things figured out. Isn’t the Lord good in how we can go through difficult times and come out all the more better for it? I can’t help but to think of the verse of Scripture that says, “And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose.”—Rom 8:28.

It’s inspiring to see how God works. Thank-you for sharing and have a great day!
GIL

Post by Guest » Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:11 am

RCA
I am glad you are going to sing! I would encourage you to accept the blessings as the Lord opens the doors for you. It's so easy for us to be insecure and doubt ourselves. I am sure that them asking you to sing is because they love you and your voice. Let's turn this around for an opportunity to Praise. I love what your daughter said :D
Don't let the enemy steal your joy or rob you of blessing others with your gift of song. I am proud of you :)
Jill~

Post by Guest » Fri Mar 05, 2010 3:30 am

Hi RCA,
I "totally" agree with Jill!!! I could never have said it any "better" myself!!!

Have a beautiful day throwing all of those "insecurities and doubts" out the door!!!

Much Love in Christ Jesus!!!

Return to “Spirituality for Anxiety & Depression”