Catholicism and Sex

The spiritual response to anxiety and depression
Crave

Post by Crave » Sun Dec 27, 2009 4:16 am

This is one I've been struggling with lately. I was raised a Catholic, but for the longest time (25+ years), I lost my faith, and only recently have begun to reconnect there. I went to Confession recently (for the first time in 25 years), and have begun going to Church again. I feel like I'm really getting back into it, and really liking it! But I guess the biggest "rule" that I've been struggling with is that sex is basically not allowed. Of course, I look around at all of the other Catholics that I know, and they are all doing it. But I know this doesn't make it "right". After having had sexual relations for years, I'm just wondering how easy it is going to be to live by this rule. Today's society surely does not make this an easy one.

I kind of feel like the Catholics that break this rule are not really "practicing", which I guess is the only way to really make this "work", which is a bit of a cop-out to me.

Any other Catholics out there that have any insight on this one?

Post by Guest » Sun Dec 27, 2009 12:09 pm

hey Crave. Listen man, Jesus loves you unconditionally! We are all going to sin, and we will never be perfect. I think it's great that you are reconnecting with God. Me and you need him! I never prescribe to a certain faction of Christianity. I'm just a Christian who loves Jesus and I'm so thankful for him dying for us, so that we may be with him in Heaven. Maybe we'll talk sometime about it! Good luck and you are in my prayers!

Post by Guest » Sun Dec 27, 2009 2:07 pm

Hi Crave, I hope you don't mind me responding to this even though I am not Catholic. I am however Christian and we believe the same bible. :) If you really want to be true to your faith, then you need to follow it, not what others may or may not be doing. We all have to make those choices everyday. God created sex so he certainly isn't opposed to it - inside marriage. I know that is a hard choice to make - especially for someone already sexually active. I know, because I had to make that choice too. We all do. Seek a wife - I've heard it's a good thing. Proverbs 18:22 ;) Take care.

Post by Guest » Sat Jan 09, 2010 6:48 am

Hello!
I think you are really on the right path now to get back a relationship with God. What I would do is to try to abstain from pre-marital sex now. I'm assuming you aren't married. lol It will be really hard for you as I can imagine, but you know that God will bless you for it in the long run.

A lot of today's society puts pressure for everyone to have sex before marriage because they want to "make sure" they are sexually compatible. Don't get sucked into that lie.

Stay strong man! Find an accountability partner!

Post by Guest » Sat Jan 09, 2010 7:08 am

Thanks for the replies everyone. I guess I was looking for someone to say: "Go ahead and have sex. It's ok!", when deep down, I know that this is not the will of God. I know I am not perfect, but I think that the temptations are tests of our faith. It is NOT going to be easy to stick to this one, but I am really going to stick to my guns on this one. I'm just wondering where I am going to find a woman in this day and age that will sign up for this?? She must be out there somewhere..

Post by Guest » Sat Jan 09, 2010 7:38 am

I'm not Catholic but I had to come in here to say a few words to you Crave.

You're a good and caring man that loves God. And you're handsome too. You are not going to have a hard time finding someone that will wait for marriage with you. There's someone for everybody out here!

Do what's right no matter how hard it will be. Take your time choosing. You will be fine. God will put that good wife out there for you. Just be patient. :)

Post by Guest » Sat Jan 09, 2010 7:22 pm

Please dont't take this as a come-on, it's only intended as an fyi for you- I would totally sign up for abstinence until we had the rings. There are lots of us out there that think this way. It's just not talked about. Listen to deedee, she is right: have patience.

Post by Guest » Sun Jan 10, 2010 2:37 am

Thanks for the reassurance. :) Not taken the wrong way - I really appreciate your feedback. It does help to know that in this day and age, I am not the only one that looks at sex this way. Thanks everyone! :)

Post by Guest » Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:10 am

Crave, you have recived very good advice, let the last word always be the inspired scriptures...
"This means everlasting life their taking in knowledge of you the only true God and of the one you have sent forth, Jesus Christ." John 17:3

"This is what God wills...that you abstain from fornication; that each one of you should know how to get possession of his own vessel in sanctification and honor, not in covetous sexual appetite such as also those nations have which do not know God" 1 Thess. 4:3-8

"-------if they do not have self control, let them marry,, for it is better to marry than to be inflamed with passion-----1 Corinthians 7:9

"No fornicator or unclean person or greedy person-which means being an idolater---has any inheritance in the kingdom of the Christ and of God" Ephesians5:5 (This does not mean that anyone who -in the past was a fornicator cannot enjoy the blessings of God's Kingdom, but he must cease that way of life in order to have God's approval...

While following God's directions are not the way of least resistance, one always finds in the long run these directions are for our benefit and blessing. One may be rewarded in some way for obedience to God's laws and gain peace of mind and a clean conscience...

Post by Guest » Sun Jan 10, 2010 11:11 am

If this helps, I believe that rushing into physical intimacy before really getting to know someone will many times ruin a relationship.

I also believe that may have a hand in the divorce rate - not saying across the board but as a general rule, couples who fall in love through lust and then get to know each other later on tend to have a rougher time with marriage.

Marriages that form under agape love, with both parties entering into an agreement with God tend to take the marriage a lot more seriously.

Just my opinion, for what it's worth. Next month I'll be married 19 years.

Return to “Spirituality for Anxiety & Depression”