need advice re: daughters dx with IBS

Suffering from IBS? Post your history, experience, comments and/or suggestions
Tigs

Post by Tigs » Sat Jan 26, 2008 11:40 am

my 12 yr old daughter was just dx with IBS. The Dr. said to watch her diet or we could try an anti-depressant to treat it. I chose the dietary approach for now. By the way she had blood tests and stool samples to rule out other things. 2 years ago she would get terrible intestinal cramping and diarrhea. Her aunt is lactose intolerant so I decided to remove all dairy from her diet, and she stopped having problems. I then found Lactaid pills so she could eat dairy and again, she didnt have any more problems. But lately she started having cramping and diarrhea off and on and the episodes were getting closer together. One time we were in the car and I could barely get her into a gas station bathroom in time. She was in so much pain she was screaming until she finally had diarrhea. She was terrified. we were in such a rush I didnt have time to grab my purse cuz I was ready to call 911. But she begged me not to leave her. she finally felt good enough for me to get her in the truck and go straight to the Dr's. I'm glad to know that it is nothing serious, and she has not had a severe attack again. I have been watching her diet more carefully. and i have been keeping a journal of her attacks and what she ate in the past 12 hours. The dr. suggested Immodium for the cramping and that has helped. I talked to the school nurse so she can take Immodium there if needed. I think her knowing the medicine is there calms her fears a bit. My dilemma now is that she is very frightened the minute she gets even a little tummy ache. She doesnt like to be away from me because she doesnt feel safe with anyone else during an attack. I see her world is shrinking and it disturbs me. Anyone who knows my daughter would describe her as a "free spirit". My freind calls her a little butterfly who just dances around always smiling and wants to be a part of everything. Im the one in the family with the anxiety issues, and phobias. Ive been trying to use what I have learned to help her through her fear. IBS is the one thing on these posts that I have never experienced. After all this info, I guess what I'm asking for is guidance from all you out there who really know how she feels. I have been teaching her about taking slow deep breaths to calm herself and she says that it does make her tummy feel a little better. She wrote me a note the other day thanking me for being there for her and helping her through this. We both had a good cry when I read it. But I still feel like I need outside help.

Thanx for listening to a worried Mom...

Post by Guest » Sat Jan 26, 2008 3:16 pm

sorry to hear about your daughters prob with IBS. One thing I have found helpful is danon yogurt "activia". If you eat it once a day it can really calm things down. Also, avoid sugary things like soda or fruit juice or anything where the first ingredient is high fructose corn syrup. I hope your dr. also checked her for celiac syndrome. lots of info on that on various web sites. good luck.

Return to “Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS)”