My "What If I Cant Sleep"

Is your day fraught with worry about something that may (or may not) happen? Stop imagining and anticipating the worst and learn the amazing rewards of living in the moment.
nancybd

Post by nancybd » Wed Dec 19, 2007 4:38 am

about 10 years ago i developed terrible anxiety that escalated so badly that i couldnt sleep. i had so much adrenaline moving through my system that it prevented me from sleep. My 'what if i can't sleep' causes me to almost prevent my self from sleeping because it just keeps building and building. I went through the program and it helped tremendously but every now and then the 'what if i can't sleep' shows up and i'm back into the anxiety so bad that i can't sleep. i know the program talks about so many things but doesnt touch on the inability to sleep. I've tried self talk but it doesnt help. i'm back on anxiety medication and that helps a little but i'm still having problems sleeping. Can anyone help me with new ideas? Thanks - nancy

Post by Guest » Wed Dec 19, 2007 5:00 am

I have always struggled a lot as a child and worse as an adult with sleep problems, my meds help greatly but I have also tried (with tons of work) to look forward to going to bed, get out my pjs, my music, wash the bed sheets, have a nice long hot bath or shower.. change that negative anxiety about sleeping into positive excitment! Yes I get to go to bed now! hurray! so comfortable and warm.. and dont even think about not sleeping.. its the best time of the day and you totally deserve the rest! remember to remind yourself of that- YOU DESERVE THIS!

goodluck and take care!

Post by Guest » Wed Dec 19, 2007 5:26 am

Hi Nancy,
This has been the biggest way my anxiety has been impacting me. I am only three weeks into the program and just came across the self-talk. A lot of negative thoughts come about not being able to sleep, which only makes it worse. I think "what if I can't sleep?" "what if I can't do my job tomorrow?" "What if I'm miserable all day?" Then is just spirals from there. I'm trying to replace my thoughts with "of course I'll sleep." "When I haven't slept, I've made it through the day." "These are just thoughts." Only I can make myself happy or miserable, etc.
Last night I slept through the night for the first time in a couple months.
I know you said self-talk isn't working for you but if you are "what ifing" you be getting yourself worked up.
Other tips for insomnia include drinking warm milk before or herbal tea before bed, do the relaxation cd, don't eat or exercise right before you go to bed but make sure you are exercising to get all of the energy out. Also if you are wide awake get up and do something. I've been trying to look at it as extra time in the day to get stuff done.
I know how frustrating it can be if you can't sleep. I'd love to hear if other people have any other suggestions.
When I told my psychiatrist that I was having trouble sleeping. Then I start worrying about never falling asleep, she told me when your body needs sleep it will eventually fall asleep. You can't keep yourself awake forever.
Best of Luck!!
Faith

Post by Guest » Wed Dec 19, 2007 5:35 am

Maggie: Thanks for responding. I didn't think anyone else understood what i am going through. It can be hell sometimes - not sleeping and then having to go through the next day completely exhausted. You have given me wonderful ideas to try and i will do them tonight after spending some time in yoga. Thank you so much. I will keep you up to date. Thank you again - Nancy

Post by Guest » Wed Dec 19, 2007 5:40 am

Faith - I just noticed your post. You understand my situation - ahh - this is wonderful to know that along with Maggie, I'm not alone in this issue. That alone helps me. I know that i am the only one responsible for my thoughts and i am doing all i can not be have anticipatory anxiety about going to bed. i've been eating right before bed so i'll stop that immediately. You are a jewel - thanks again - i'll keep you up to date on how things go. i will try what you have suggested regarding the relaxation CD and warm milk, along with Maggie's suggestions about preparing myself for sleep. Thank you all - Nancy

Post by Guest » Wed Dec 19, 2007 6:37 am

Hi Nancy,

Thank you for the gratitude! not necessary, we are all here to help! Please keep me posted on your journey!

Best wishes!

Post by Guest » Wed Dec 19, 2007 7:20 am

"Wow!" I think all of you are talking about me! I am on session 3 and I am really struggling with the fact that I don't know how to talk positive to myself and believe it. I could'nt sleep last night and this hasn't happen for about 4wks now Praise God. However I don't think I sleep well! But I usually get some sleep. Last night however I started getting anxious and thinking what If.... it gets as bad as it has in the past, what if I get really sick again! And your mind just starts as Beth Moore would say, Spews! I get shakey, and my mind feels like it can't stop thinking, i mean thoughts or just bleeps of thoughts come to mind, it is crazy! I did however use the steps last night and it helped to calm me down. I still couldn't sleep fully. And today , I find myself very uneasy and sweating and fearful still. I keep thinking Oh, this is so hard! this is almost too much, for me to think of to fix. But I also know that my strength comes from the Lord. What I normally do around 7:30 - 9:30 pm turn down the lights and read or something and make sure kids are either in bed or quiet, so I can unwind, then I also take supplements too. I take L-theanine 200mg 3 times a day, so at night I take 200 mg. and also take 750mg. of GABA and Magnesium gel cap along with cod liver oil and sometimes I will eat a small bowl of cereal or yogurt. Most of all i really try not to get keyed up about anything before bed or while trying to go to bed.
I really appreciate your messages and inputs, it is really encourageing to hear others going through the same things.

Post by Guest » Wed Dec 19, 2007 7:51 am

sfin:

You know, when i posted this topic of 'what if i can't sleep', i never thought anyone would relate but i see that its not just me - and to tell you the truth, its a comfort to know that i'm not the only one out there. this is a nasty side affect of anxiety and i hate it. everything you just wrote is what i experience. most times i'm ok but when the anxious times come and those times affect my sleep, i spiral to a point of fear because i think i will also get sick again. i've discovered that complex carbs such as bananas, oatmeal (without the sugar) right before bed can help me sleep because complex carbs calm you down. i truly appreciate your response. Maybe we can keep in touch regularly and try to help each other through this if you would like. Nancy

Post by Guest » Wed Dec 19, 2007 8:32 am

Hi:

I went through about 2 years when I couldn't sleep...and when I could fall asleep I would wake up after a couple of hours. I found that uping my exercise helped and doing some meditating right before bed helped. It eventually subsided. I hope the same for you...its just awful when you can't sleep!!!

Post by Guest » Wed Dec 19, 2007 8:34 am

Lack of sleep was one of my worst "what if's" and very often became a self fulfilling prophesy for me. I came across an article on getting better sleep written by a true insomniac like myself and she wrote something to the effects of "if you can't sleep one night just remind yourself that todays bad night is tomorrows good night". That helps me to not worry about it so much. Bad night last night? Great, I'll be so tired I'll have a good one tonight! Of course it doesn't always work out that way, but I don't let them get to me that much anymore.

Return to “Session 8 - Put an End to "What-If" Thinking”