getting "out there"

Is your day fraught with worry about something that may (or may not) happen? Stop imagining and anticipating the worst and learn the amazing rewards of living in the moment.
EllaRose

Post by EllaRose » Sun Jan 17, 2010 2:51 pm

First of all, thanks to everyone out there. I feel so much better knowing that I'm not alone in the world. I can't believe there are actually others who can truly understand what I feel.
Secondly, I do need advice on learning to get back out into the world. I am agoraphobic. Every time I go somewhere, I feel like I am just biding my time until I can get back to where "it's safe". I know that we are supposed to be our own safe person and place, but I want feel peaceful and that is at home. The further away I get, the more I start to feel like I won't be o.k. and I better get back before things get really bad and I can't handle whatever will happen to me. I'm afraid I won't be able to get back sometimes. I picture myself on the side of the road hyperventilating until someone comes to get me. I get so tense and I can't get very far from my house. Has anyone experienced this and how did you learn to deal with it? Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks, EllaRose

Post by Guest » Sun Jan 17, 2010 3:10 pm

Hello and yes I can relate totally. I used to drive everywhere without a second thought. I drive only locally and If i go long distances, then i have to have someone with me (preferably an adult). I think my reasons come from the fact that the times that i did have a panic attack i was by myself on the road alone. so i fear the fear of having another attack. i go places with my co-workers and family, but never alone. it scares me that i have this fear. I keep xanax in my purse, just in case i have a panic attack, i don;t use them, unless absolutely necessary..it seems to help me to know that i have something to help me in case i get in a bind. Its my weird/scary thoughts, the "what if" thoughts that keep me occupied and i'm trying to work on controling them. Having this fear is so not who i used to be. it seems that it has come from no where. i am embarrassed to let anyone know i have this fear. i am a strong person outside this fear. i feel i have lost a big part of myself to this fear. the program says that we create our own anxiety, so i want to get my independence back. i just started the program a few weeks ago.. so glad to know i'm not the only one out there with this fear. I wish you only the best.

Post by Guest » Mon Mar 15, 2010 8:42 am

I just started this program, and I want to say that I can totally understand and relate to what you are or maybe now "were" going though. I feel the same way when it comes to travel. I prefer to be close to home always. I'm praying that with this program, I can learn to feel safe no matter how far away I am, and be comfortable and want to see what's out there that I've been missing! It's very hard, I know! Take care!

Return to “Session 8 - Put an End to "What-If" Thinking”